• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up an m103a3 this week

Xs10tial

Hi all,

I won an auction for an M103A3 chassis trailer on 10/14, and my EUC has gone through in what I consider to be record time. (Doesn't it usually take months?) I'm doing everything I can to be prepared for whatever I face when getting it, but was wondering if anyone has any additional advice aside from what I'm doing. Here's the scenario:

1. I'm picking it up with my 1008 and yes, I'll be careful.

2. I'm bringing the following:

Tools
Grease gun for the bearings
Air pig, hose, etc.
Air compressor
Brake fluid
Assorted tools of ignorance (tow chains, light sledges, breaker bars, etc)

I guess what I'm looking for are worst case scenarios and what common issues I should be prepared for. I've just read that these have air brakes, is that true, and will it pose an issue with stopping, as obviously, my truck has no air lines.

I'd be grateful for any input.

Thanks.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should'nt be a problem. Just take your time. I just picked up a 103a3 w/ 2 mep-002a's on it with my f-250 and it actually towed and stopped nicely (no oh sh!t stops). I always bring mag mount lights for the trailers just in case they are bad, it's easier than changing stuff. Are you going to Ft. Meade?

Xs10tial

I just looked at the TM, and see that the brakes are hydraulic. Are these surge brakes or what?

Thanks

Xs10tial

Thanks Matt. I'm going to Mechanicsburg, 100% daylight hours. If the lights don't work, and I'm not home, I stop and get a room. But it's only 1.5 hours each way for me, so hopefully I'll be ok.

derf

Harbor Freight has magnetic trailer light kits for $10, worth every penny.
If you are involved in an accident you may get in trouble for having no lights. I'd spend the $10.
All the GL trailers I've seen have had bad tires. They hold air, but most are terribly dry rotted and cracked. Bring a spare or two.
I brought a high lift (farm type) jack. It was useful.

The M101A2s and A3s have surge brakes. The M103 chassis (and M105 trailers) have air over hydraulic brakes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta have that high lift to hook it up. Odds are fair that the trailer wiring will be complete. In my M1008 and Suburban glove box I keep a pair of 1156 bulbs and either 89 or 97 bulbs. With these on hand I can switch out the 24V bulbs, plug in and go. Take a can of spray silicone or WD40 for the trailer plugs. If they are real dry, you will need it. The HF magnetic lights are a cheap backup plan but the magnets leave much to be desired and often they are wired wrong. Plan on duct tape or wire ties to secure them. Take your time and have fun.

KsM715

Common issues: the guys posting before me have that covered.

Worst case scenario: The trailer is upside down and on fire when you get there. Bring an extinguisher. :p

Xs10tial

All, I picked it up today and it wasn't upside down or on fire!

No issues with brakes, axles or bearings and the tires still have the tits on them. The lights even worked. I'm quite pleased with the purchase, but don't think I'll be keeping the trailer as it's a little too big height wise for my truck and I don't want to mess with the air brakes.

Of course with a 55 gallon drum or two and a set of high school lockers, it'd make a pretty kick-ass portable BBQ/Smoker.......that's something to think about....

Thanks again for all the advice.

jesusgatos

Harbor Freight has magnetic trailer light kits for $10, worth every penny.
Bought a cherry M103A3 off Brad up in WA a few months ago, switched out the wheels/tires with two that I'd brought with me, hooked-up a set of HF trailer lights (crap-tastic), built some flimsy side rails, and then hauled a load back down to the bay area for a friend behind a cummins/dodge. No problems other than the wacky angle (tongue-down). LOVE this trailer. Going to build an enclosure for it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks