• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up LMTV Monday in Colorado

radbad

A friend and I bought an LMTV from Gov Planet and will be picking it up Monday in Colorado. We both live in Salt Lake City, so we have an 11 hour (minimum) drive home if we drive it back same-day.

A couple questions for you guys:

1. What critical inspections would you do before trying to drive it off the lot? We're going to check fluid levels (Oil, Trans, Coolant), Check lights and signals, check that the indicator lights work in the cab, check tires, check the air system for the brakes (similar to how it's done for heavy trucks at the brake check areas in the mountains). What else should we do?

2. Are we crazy for thinking we can drive this 580 miles back to Salt Lake City same-day?

3. Our biggest concern is the brake system. Being that's it's a 17-year-old air brake system and we can't remove a wheel and check wear on the pads, we have some concerns about driving down the steep mountain passes. How well do these things engine-break down a hill when downshifted? We don't want to use a runaway ramp!

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you have better luck than this guy did .
LMTV recovery and failure, home now

Take a list of heavy tow companies along the way and a high dollar credit card .

I would also recommend downloading and reading this before the trip.
m1078_TM 9-2320-365-10.pdf
m1078_TM 9-2320-365-10 for the M1078 series trucks

The rest of the TM's can be downloaded here for free ( you will need them if you breakdown).
M1078 TM's

Last edited:

radbad

Thanks for sharing - That thread is a great read. We'll add checking fluid in the differentials!

We have the operators manual and 7 files of technical manuals too. And we'll bring multiple types of fluids in case they're low.

wyocommo

I recently roaded my LMTV and a M931A2 from Colorado Springs to Casper, WY.

Probably, the brake shoes will not be as big of a concern (unless really high mileage) as some of the air brake system components, especially some the inverter relays and check valves that have rubber seals / diaphragms in them.

My LMTV might be a special case but some of these components had issues with rubber components.

On the upside, the failure of most of these components causes the brakes to fail safe but that can be extremely inconvenient depending on your location:shock:

ALSO, if you are bringing fluids, keep in mind these things take GALLONS of everything if they have a serious failure, not just a few quarts

steelandcanvas

You we're really messin' with what day I though it was! Take some window cleaner along and clean up those mirrors and windows. Do you and your friend have other ways to communicate, other than a cell phone? Good luck on your recovery!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe there is an inspection port on the back of the hub to check brake wear if you are concerned. I know there is on the older trucks. Bring batteries or a way to jump it. Extra breakers or blade fuses should work. Extra 12 and 24v bosch style relays. Hose clamps electrical tape duct tape small hand tools extra wire. Did it run in the listing? Is it a smaller site or large one? Runs with a jump at a small site does not mean someone will be there to jump it for you on pickup. Shown running at a larger site could be they added fluids and jumped it but no batteries are present.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the air dryers are known to fail from lack of maintainance you may want to take a rebuild kit for it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing you forgot to tell us is your background and experience with big trucks. Knowing that will allow us to better help your recovery.

Also what route are you taking? There may be fellow members along the way that can help out if needed.

steelandcanvas

One thing you forgot to tell us is your background and experience with big trucks. Knowing that will allow us to better help your recovery.

Also what route are you taking? There may be fellow members along the way that can help out if needed.
If he comes up I-25 toward Cheyenne, I'm not too far away.

Mjvaden

I would change all fluids and filters before you move the vehicle. also make sure those hub are not dry. Take it slow I would plan on breaking it up into two days.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can see the brake shoes easily as there are no backing plates or dust covers on the axles. Have the TMs on a laptop or hard copy. Bring a multimeter. Have all the heavy duty wrecker services phone numbers handy. If you break down, there is nowhere to obtain parts from quickly.

radbad

You guys are awesome! I'll be spending all day tomorrow with my counterpart digging up specifics related to the comments you guys have made!

Warthog, I'm mechanically inclined with a good fundamental understanding of engines... Nothing specifically big truck related, but I'm at home working on my f250 and car. I've been playing around with engines since I was a kid.

My route will probably be 70 (yes, up and over the mountains) over through grand Junction and then up through price Utah and up 15 to salt Lake city. Alternative is north through 80, but if we need to spilt it up into a few days, I might have a place to hood it easily on the route across 70 until next weekend. Won't be able to take Tuesday off work this week, unfortunately!

radbad

NDT - that's great news that we can see the brake pads. That's one of our biggest concern (concerns at the level of "we could die"). We'll look at them for sure!

The ad said it ran. It was from govplanet. Other trucks they've posted that needed a jump said so - hope this one is an honest listing!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some suggestions based on just picking up an LMTV:

- know how to turn on the lights(!). Without selecting the right combination of switches on the three-switch selector you won't have tail, brake, or turn lighting.

- Have a gladhand cover available, one with no vent. In the case of a failed or dirty check valve that's dumping air out the gladhands (four of them) you can plug it.

- Glad hand seals, like a big grommet. The glad hand cover won't hold air if the seal is dry. These gladhand components can come from any truck stop.

- air hose and Schrader air filler and tire gauge in case the CTIS fails. Get the hose with a gladhand on one end and air filler on the other (truck stop sourced).

- caps for the Schrader valves on CTIS wheel valve on the tires. (Just like on other 'normal' tires.)

- At first suspicion that tire pressure might be leaking down, shut down and disconnect the CTIS controller. Better to not trust un-maintained CTIS to maintain your tire pressure.

- Set of 3 wiper blades, 19". Might not be as important 'out there' as it was here in rainy TN.

- Make sure your transmission is shifting properly before you take the big hills across CO. The long way around is much easier on a truck of unknown condition.

Have fun and good luck.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring a small set of 12 and 24v relays and a few 10, 15, 20, and 25 AMP circuit breakers. Just in case. you don't know what's good and what isn't.

LMTV is 12v lights, so less issue getting spares, but might want to have headlights on hand or at your first stop, esp if you plan on driving at night.

Terrh

I'm guessing neither one of you has an air brake endorsement on your license by your brake questions, because you'd know how to check the wear and brake adjustment if you did.

Take an online course, it's better than nothing and you'll understand the basics of air brake operation and how to do a mark and measure.

I am not sure if checking the fluid level of the differentials and front and rear driveshaft wear has been mentioned, but doing that would be a good idea. 50% of failed recoveries look like they could have been successes with more thorough pre-trip checks.

I would probably bring a grease gun and do a full grease job on the truck as well.

Reading the operation TM and maybe even having a printed copy on hand would be a good idea, it tells you everything that should be checked in order to make sure you'll have a successful trip.

At the very least though, put your eyes and hands on as much of the truck as you can. Thoroughly check the entire truck out, every wheel, every fastener, every line hose and wire that you can reasonably get to. Look for things that might cause you a problem but can be fixed in a minute or two with a zip tie or some tape.

Be familiar with how to jump start a 24v vehicle or bring 4 brand new batteries along with you for the truck.

Good luck with your recovery!

Last edited:

wyocommo

I will second Bikeman on the lights. Mine only had one working light and it was the hi beam. Pretty stinkin dark that evening!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks