• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up M1009 from GL... keys?

condor16

So I took the plunge, and now I'm waiting on my EUC to clear so I can pick up a M1009 from Ft. Meade.

With the EUC up at Battle Creek for a couple of weeks I figure it's time to start thinking about the pickup from GL. Mentally going through the checklist for the recovery (belts, fluids, paperwork, phone # for a local wrecker, etc) I thought it would be worth asking y'all... does GL hand over keys to CUCVs when you pick them up? Since they're mostly keyed alike, do the yard folks just keep a couple sets of "yard keys"?

I'll be making a trip up north in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to stop by the yard to talk face-to-face with the person I'll be calling to schedule the loading, but thought I'd ask about keys here first in case I have to find time to get to a dealer to have keys cut.

Can't wait to get it home... reading all the maintenance threads here has helped me plan for plenty of potential issues.

Attachments

67_C-30

I bought a key on ebay before I bought mine, and its a good thing I did - because the GL lot had none available. I'd recommend ordering you a key before you go get. There's always some for sale on ebay.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of these days I'm going to put an ad on Ebay selling CUCV keys. God only knows how many I've given away. PM me your name and address and I'll send one out! Down to my last 2 out of about 40 keys.

Whitey

According to the GL rep at Meade they do have keys for the recent batches and a key will come with the purchase. However, it is GL, so play it safe. nuff said.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of the ones I have picked up, GL will hand you nothing. If the key is in the ignition then you are good to go. If not then you had better bring your own.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This IS one of the reasons I love collecting these trucks.

ONE KEY on my key ring opens and runs all of my trucks. ALL OF THEM.

I like the black topped key also. It's my favorite one in fact.

I have that on both sets of my keys, which are identical. That way if I do actually lose one set, I can get the other set or have my wife bring it to me and I'm back up and running again.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have keys, like Kenny4x4 i have given away a bunch of them same here pm me your address I will send you one for free.And welcome to the green sickness.
AEC Retired Tony

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I go to the local key place and have them cut one from my existing key?
Yes.

From my experience, it's much cheaper to get a key copied than it is to get one cut from the code. The only two people that can cut a key by code are our local locksmith and the GM dealer. The locksmith gets $20 to cut a key from code and the GM dealer gets $30 and requires proof of ownership. The local Walmart will copy a key for around $2.

NICK_M1009

Yes.

From my experience, it's much cheaper to get a key copied than it is to get one cut from the code. The only two people that can cut a key by code are our local locksmith and the GM dealer. The locksmith gets $20 to cut a key from code and the GM dealer gets $30 and requires proof of ownership. The local Walmart will copy a key for around $2.
Thanks.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks