• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up my new (to me) deuce tomorrow!

rdixiemiller

I finally found a deal I could not pass up. 1979 M35A2 WOW. Just as it came from fort Benning 4 years ago. Running an LDT 465 1C, 1100R20 street treads, air seat, air shift, pioneer rack, new vinyl cab top, heater, decent 383 green CARC. This truck belonged to a missile battery, and spent it's time hauling missile boxes of some sort. The tires are 85% or better, engine runs great. Good 6TL's. Jerry can holder and can, full issue tools, including jack. Got it for 3K$ from the collector who has driven it for the last 3 years. I'll fly to Montgomery tomorrow in a buddies Cessna, then drive home 165 miles. I will throw on a set of desplined hubs and pop one back axle for the trip.
As far as I can see, all it needs is the passengers seat recovered, windshield weatherstripping changed, and the rubber hose to the wipers replaced.

Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck. I like the super singles. The singled out deuces look a little scrawny from behind, but I still like 'em. What is the toggle switch over by the glovebox for? Just curious. Good luck with the truck!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm...come to think of it...that might be the hi/lo heater control switch. If it is, I've never seen one mounted there. Pretty cool.

cten

It should be to throw the hubs in and out for the front wheels.

Heater controls are just to the left of that toggle.

Correct me if I'm wrong everyone.

Regards,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert, don't do a Kenny and go without a camera. Keep us posted on how it goes! This is the kind of adventure I live for! WooHoo!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a truck you can keep for a long time, congrat's!
Yeah, singled out deuces may look funny from behind, especially if you keep the bed at original width and don't flip the hubs.

Desert Rat

Robert,

Now I call that a big time SCORE! See what happens with a little patience? Wow it looks sooooo clean. That one's a keeper! Good going bud! BTW, should I plan on sending the top to you or not? I'm getting ready to do so Monday when I'm finally free from my student teaching responsibilities. Let me know.

rdixiemiller

Sorry about being so long in answering questions, I have been A-- deep in alligators at work today.
I won a windshield frame from Bruce (seller) and decided to pick it up rather than ship, since it was only 3 hours away (only?). I wanted to look at a couple of parts trucks he has. I ended up negotiating him down on the '79 and buying it.

The interior controls have not been determined yet, I will do that tomorrow.

The trailer did not come with it.

The hubs are flipped, but the truck does look a little narrow. I might narrow down a body in the future to about 7'.

Rat, I can still use the top, I have another truck to pick up, the wife doesn't know about that one.....

He has an M185 body in fair shape for sale, if there is any interest. I will get some pics while I am there.

He also has an M-35 WW for sale, it needs the front axle reassembled. I believe he wants 2K for it.

I will take the camera along, it will be a photo op for sure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sooo, I wonder how Roberts adventure is going? Can't wait to see pics and hear the story. His wife is going to wonder what up with the cheeseburger smile as he sleeps tonight.

rdixiemiller

I was building my towbar, and one of the guys asked what I was doing. I told him I had bought a deuce and a half, and had to go get it. He looked at the towbar, then my little Nissan, and said "I really don't think that Nissan can handle pulling a deuce and a half".
He was serious! Do I know idiots or not!

It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm. I drove to Montgomery, changed a speedometer out, safety checked, and headed home. The seller had changed the oil and greased all the fittings (Really nice guy!). He also put on some wiper blades and followed me to a fuel station to make sure there were no problems. He really hated to see the truck leave.

I hit the road, and it suddenly clouded up. 5 miles on the road, the bottom fell out. Traffic was moving 35 mph on I 85 (the roughest interstate in the country except I 94 in Detroit) Then it started raining harder. I discovered the wipers were marginal at best. I discovered the windshield gaskets were worse than I thought. It rained all the way to the Ga. line, I was absolutely soaked before it stopped raining. Other than that, it was a good trip. Temp stayed around 180, oil pressure gauge quit but the engine still runs, so I will fix that later. Good air pressure, charging system good. I ran around 2200-2400 RPM all the way home.
I forgot to take me desplined front flanges along, so I ran stock. I drove the truck to work today, I'll get the flanges pulled Sunday, and get a rear axle out. That should smooth the ride up. The title says the truck is an '87, the dash tag says '67 Kaiser. I am going to get that typo corrected so I can run a historic vehicle tag.

I did not see the the winch truck, so I can't tell you what it looks like. I'll try to get some pics and post them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whew, what a ride! Of all the things about a deuce that I like, the wipers short fuse me more than anything in the world. RainX is your friend! I keep a liberal amount of rags and shop paper towels in my truck for the rain storms. Whenever one of the windshield corners start spitting, I plug it. Glad you got your new tow home Robert! Pics when possible but I know you've got better things to do right now!
Cheeseburger Smile!
Kenny

rdixiemiller

I only got 2 pics, one hooked to my little beercan truck, and one when I got home. Too rainy the rest of the time!

I noticed the front boots let go, not too surprising. I'll get a pair coming and get them swapped out. Minor leaks at the transfer case seals, probably not enough to be worth changing them out.

Not a bad trip, I think I qualify as a dedicated deuce driver, 165 miles for the first drive in a deuce in at least 20 years!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks