• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up my new trailer. What Mod is it?

wsucougarx

I concur M105A2 1.5 ton trailer. It has the very old style landing gear. The landing gear doesn't elevate up/down for pintle heigth. The entire assy is either up or down. If you are using a pickup truck or similiar heigth vehicle, you may need to bring some 2x6 boards to drive your backtires up on to get the proper heigth to hook up the trailer.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thursday I picked up a M105a2, Has the double wheel landing leg at Ft Riley. It looked like they were going to reset it as it had new tires, air hose, tailgate chains, trailer plug, new rear leg. I went out with my M890 to tow it home, Dan the GL guy helped me hook it up, could not lower leg enough so had to lift tongue, fold leg then hooked it up. Air pressure in tires was fine, took off cover and left yard. The DRMO is surrounded by a 5Ton reset complex, as I was headed to the gate a 1008 pulling a train of 5T cabs started flashing his lights at me so, I stopped. Good thing I did as the wheel bearing retaining nut on the Right side was backed just about all the way off, John, my new friend , saved the day and also sent a guy out with the right size wheel bearing socket. The weird thing is this has happened twice before over the years. Got a M116 from GSA in MO that had no bearings and a M101 in 94 from Riley that just had loose ones on both sides. So the moral is rock the wheels back and forth to check the bearings.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MWMules, What is this term "reset" That is a new one for me. Does it mean depot overhaul?

yup you can replace the hernia causing old landing gear with the new style. I recommend it!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the day finally has come for me to pick up my trailer. I don't know what model it is. Any Ideas?:idea::?::grin:
Just curious. How did you end up with a trailer without knowing the model? I take it, it was NOT a GL win? Nice of someone to give you a trailer if that was the case!

I've seen a single, "new style" landing gear on GL before. I'm sure they're out there.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
MWMules, What is this term "reset" That is a new one for me. Does it mean depot overhaul?

yup you can replace the hernia causing old landing gear with the new style. I recommend it!
Yep "reset", is what the military calls refurbished/rebuild now. I just saw where BAE just got a contract reset 200 FMTV's down at Red River.

KaiserM109

Can I change the landing gear to a new type?
You can but it is probably not worth the trouble.

I have 2 M105A2 trailers and an MKT-85 on the same chassis. The cranks are hard to use at best, so I use a HiLift or farmer's jack. CAUTION: A HiLift or farmer's jack can be dangerous, so always be careful. Remember that when there is less than 150 lb. on the jack it drops.

It looks like your trailer is one of the older M105 types with no air tank and relay valve. That means that you don’t have the emergency feature that if your supply line breaks the brakes set.

An M105 is a heavy trailer and your deuce (the one in your avatar) is the only vehicle you should attempt to tow it with if it has a load. The issue is brakes. I have towed empty 105s with the Bronco in my avatar, but it is right at the limit for no brakes.

Have a good time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks