• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pickup at Ft. Hood

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was Dieselfreak88M able to get intel on it for you? He said it was a few blocks from his house. I could also help, but a Ft Hood run in my 915 would be $350 in diesel. I also don't have a place in Killeen to keep it for you. Truck looks A-1 in the pics and video. I would bring batts and oil and plan to drive it off.

Jeepsinker

I'll be delivering a 5 ton to a guy in Elgin next week. Looks like Killeen is only 75 miles out of the way, so if we can work details out I can run up there and tow it off and drop it somewhere for you.

KaiserM109

I'll be delivering a 5 ton to a guy in Elgin next week. Looks like Killeen is only 75 miles out of the way, so if we can work details out I can run up there and tow it off and drop it somewhere for you.
I'd love to get the truck to Dublin, TX, 103 miles north of Ft. Hood because I have a place to keep it for a while, but that's not exactly on your path. Can you give me a price for towing/hauling it up there? It's 88 mi. from Elgin to Ft. Hood and another 103 to Dublin.

Jeepsinker

Hopefully it doesn't turn you off but it would be $400 or so to be worth my time, diesel, and motel room I would have to get for a night to do this. This would make it more than a one day trip for me. Probably more like $500 really. And I'm not greedy, ask some of these guys. I just know what my operating costs are. Been moving a lot of trucks lately.

KaiserM109

Hopefully it doesn't turn you off but it would be $400 or so to be worth my time, diesel, and motel room I would have to get for a night to do this. This would make it more than a one day trip for me. Probably more like $500 really. And I'm not greedy, ask some of these guys. I just know what my operating costs are. Been moving a lot of trucks lately.
Doesn't sound greedy at all! PM on the way.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was up there today looking to help someone with a recovery of one the "fluids drained" trucks. His had everything, fluid wise, except fuel, batteries and radiator fluid. The oil actually looked like it had just been changed. Unfortunately his didn't have belts or an alternator so we couldn't get it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update... BTW were the missing items missing in the photos during the auction, or was it a surprise??
It was a surprise to him but I'm not sure he just didn't miss that they weren't there in the photos (didn't have them with us while we were there to confirm one way or the other). I verified with the one that I just won that it is there and the belts are evident in the photos so if I show up and they're missing we'll have some issues to discuss with GL.

I still haven't decided if I want to try recovering mine myself or getting it hauled. After being out there this morning in 20 degree weather I'm not too keen on going back any time soon.

KaiserM109

I was up there today looking to help someone with a recovery of one the "fluids drained" trucks. His had everything, fluid wise, except fuel, batteries and radiator fluid. The oil actually looked like it had just been changed. Unfortunately his didn't have belts or an alternator so we couldn't get it.
That means it has engine oil, transmission oil, differential oil, power steering, four out of seven ain’t bad, at least that’s what my dad used to say about us kids.

Of the last two trucks I picked up one had a full tank and one had 3/4 of a tank and both had brand new batteries, two on one, four on the other.

Let’s see, fuel: 48 gal @ $3.75/gal.; antifreeze: 3 gal @ $5/gal = $195; Batteries ??. Maybe my luck will hold.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it for what it's worth, but I was told the "fluids drained" issue meant just the fuel, batteries, and radiator fluid were missing and that's what we found with this truck. Of course we couldn't look in the fuel tank to see if it was empty but knocking on it made it sound that way.

I was also told that some units drained the fluids by simply cutting the hoses versus actually draining them properly so that trucks that had been previewed didn't have useable hoses. Again, we didn't find that to be the case for the 1 truck that we went to get at Ft Hood yesterday.

Hopefully yours just needs juiced up and it'll be ready to go.

KaiserM109

What do you suppose GL does with the batteries? Most of the trucks I have recovered or helped to recover had NEW batteries.

I will make sure to take at least 2 good batteries. We're going to be in a small car, so room and weight is going to be at a premium. I guess it's time to get my Bronco fixed up. I have a 5.0L FI engine just waiting to be bolted up to the NP-435 four-on-the-floor I just installed. If truck moving arrangements work out, I may be able to wait a couple of months to bring it back to Colorado.

I'll bet the auto parts stores around Ft. Hood do quite well selling antifreeze, maybe oil, too!

KaiserM109

IT'S OVER.
Long story short, my credit card got hacked, possibly as part of the Target scandal, or anyone of several, and I canceled my card right after Christmas. I forgot to update the card # with GL until 2 days after the auction and they canceled the sale without answering any of my emails.

Every field GL person I have ever met was great and that covers at least a half dozen sites, but I have never had any interaction with their office that I didn’t come away from gritting my teeth.

THANKS to everyone for trying to help. SS is like a band-of-brothers. I’ll still be around, just not with that 923. I really wanted an M925A2, anyway.

Tornadogt

Wow, sorry to here that... You would think it would be less work for them to wait an extra day or two for payment in your situation, as apposed to having to relist and resale the truck.

Like you said maybe it will all work out and you will get something better next time...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks