• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pickup from Lansing, MI on 7-25-08 Pics included.

ida34

I went to pickup my M146 trailers and the M101 Trailer. I got a lot of help and that kept me from having to make three trips instead of just one. TedG offered to help and I appreciate it but in the end I was able to get it done without him. Armada brought out his depot rebuilt M818 to help me out. I had him hook up to the trailer with landing legs. He then pulled it out of the way.
The GL staff then pushed my other trailer forward. It had no landing gear installed. The legs were in the trailer. It was lucky that my trailers were back to back. The one without the legs was pushed out enough to allow the staff to pick up the front while allowing enough room for me to hookup. Everything was tight quarters so it was kind of high pucker stuff.
Before we did all this we hooked up the M101 trailer to my explorer. My aunt and uncle drove it to pickup the trailer and to act as a chase vehicle. The bed on the trailer was loose but was in great shape. The rear frame crass member had been pulled out. I will weld a new one in at a later time and bolt the frame and the bed together. For now we used a tie down strap to hold the bed to the frame. We used magnetic lights on it. If has a crank up landing leg and new tires. Very nice and cheap.
I was lucky enough to get two aluminum ladders between the two trailers. They also had newer tires and brand new spares. One spare still has parts of the sticker on it and both spares still have the flashing ridge. They will end up being steer axle tires on the deuce. One has a little of water dripping after the trip. I will have to seal all the seams on the roof. Only one broken window to fix. Everything else looked good. Both brake lines on both trailers were pulled out from moving them around with fork lift. The emergency glad hand on both trailers were broken off. The first attempt to pickup the trailer on the ground ended in a deep scratch to the front and damage to the light connection. This is also when the emergency connection was broken off. The light connection did not matter as the wiring was pulled out under the trailer.
We had no brakes but Paul had lights. I led and he followed. My Explorer brought up the rear. I was in contact with my daughter on the radio. She is a ham also. The trailer without the legs will most likely end up as a storage shed. I will take off the suspension and put it on the ground. The other one will be kept in rolling status. I am going to keep all the parts right now so I can put it back together later.
There was a lot of eye candy there. M113s, A bunch of S-250 shelters, Depot rebuilt hemitts, FMTVs and a lot of trucks that will go to sale. Some five tons and a lot of trailers. Se also saw some 900 series five ton that were not in the for sale area. There were also several Humvees in the not for sale area.

Attachments

ida34

That is Gillespie 383 Green. It is cut with Xylene and I heard that is what gives it that semi gloss look. I put down some Gillespie red oxide as the first coat and it was very brown. I think it slightly darkened the Green. I got the paint from Rapco.

ida34

I tried to his the M-60 in the back of the explorer but could not get it to fit and Five-Oh showed up right when we were leaving. Look like a cute blond. One of the trucks getting picked up was missing a door and dash pad. It was taken off by someone after the auction was listed so they filed a police report. I figured it was a bad time to try to steel the tank. My aunt and uncle came and are not into MVs. The seemed interested in looking at all the trucks. The found a damaged Humvee. The rear quarter was smashed in and the tie rod was bent. The rear wheel was toed in. They thought it had frame damage but there was none. I told them that I wish they would sell it but they would not. They said I would not want it because of the damage. I explained I would want it even if it had frame damage. I further explained that it would be demiled. My aunt noticed the radiator was in the hood. I explained it all to her. Paul stayed for a while to enjoy some cold water and I started the M151 for him.

ida34

I am uncertain what will be the Clare ride just yet. It may be the deuce or the truck and trailer combo.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I de-susensioned an M146 in the neighbors yard. This was pre wrecker. Used lots of cribbing and buttle jacks and dropped it 6" at a time. Took a while.

ida34

I have a front end loader tractor. The loader should be able to pick it up. I will crib it also to make sure. I think it is a reason to go and get a wrecker.

ida34

The cribbing is for when I am taking the suspension off and putting it on the ground. I may put the legs on just to disengage it from the tractor but they still need to come off again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks