• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pics and what not wyoming trip

t120r

scooters

the triumph is a 1973 tr5t 500 twin i rebuilt last winter . it has 30 over pistons to clean the bore up rebuilt and polished the head. has a 3 stage air filter setup . has slime in the tubes. has plenty of grunt for the desert. i have been wrenching on brit bikes for 40 + years so it was a snap to dismantle and refurbish. Every bearing is new not junk stuff either.

the bsa is a hodge podge 750 cc 32mm mikunis real fast 18 tooth front 54 rear/ built this about 15 years ago. runs strong for my old fat ass. these brit bikes are the best in the desert. 4 stroke fast plenty of low end grunt cheap to fix and sound like a real bike, like the m35 these have charactor and are built to last.

the answer to the question does that map i posted take you to my camp? yes. the hideout no I will not disclose that. i have been looking for years. it is pristeen so no i will not tell anyone where it is. i will say this. those 2 buttes Called man and boy buttes are where the wild bunch held horses during there escape from there many train robberies in this area.

here is some more pics of the bikes ready fore a permanent home in the desert

the ac is 18000 btu it runs off the 24/110 inverter. it runs around 13 amps an is an energy star model so it is a good runner. never used in the deseert yet it was not hot enuff but i used it with truck off for 8 hours running off the inverter(in maryland 98 degrees) and truck started rite up. it helps if you are using inverters on these trucks to use 4 6tl batteries.

the largest welding cables 3/4 inch thick is what you will need to safely run electrics on this type of application.(for the inverter cables) the only draw back is the military alternator. that is why i have the generator mounted on the front fender. i have a 24 volt aircraft charger hooked up to the battery packs and it charges automaticcally. typically these alternators are even small for an m35. i use the generator for the first 45 minutes to charge the batteries after using the inverter for 8 hours.

the other trick to run 12 volt stuff is do not buy anything less than a stepdown converter that does not have a constant 40 amp output. i use 2 for a total of 80 amps. the smaller ones are junk. these have fuses and cooling fans. all the lites are 12 volt but the turn and brake lights, with 2 converters neither one will get overloaded. the front lites arew 121 volt hella 65 watt and front floods are 100 watt. rear top outside lites are 24 volt center rear lite is 12 volkt as also yhe 2 backupm lites w/alarm at mud flaps are 12 volt.

the red/white bsa (1968 A65FS)is one of 2 street bikes going to be stuffed in our m886 to take out and leave next summer. the other bike is a 1967 T120r Triumph Bonniville. my brother and i will use the m109 m886 and the 2 dirt bikes and 2 srteet bikes to wonder the american west and hunt ride drink beer and shoot guns.

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did a fantastic job inside that 109, and I thought mine was decked out when I got it with a working heater, benches and drawers!

Somemedic

Duhhh... dont usually dig on 109's but.... drool....coolest trip ever, slobber,slobber.....pic of camp and I started crying... stumble.... friggin desert bikes evn MATCH ... stammer, more drool..... adopt me or something

pa.rich

RE: general area

I was relieved to see the motorbikes. I was wondering before I saw the pics what you would do out in the middle of nowhere in the case of a breakdown on the truck. What was the daytime temps? See any rattlers? Your set up looks very well thought out. And thanks for the pictures! I am in awe of the difference of the desert vs. where I live. Really cool,thx.

t120r

these trucks break down!!!!!!!!!!!!! after doing this truck it seems it is all sorted out i just dread to lubricate it once a year. i have to re jet the generators and bikes but that is easy with some molson

Homesick

I love it! I'd love to build one for Canadian 4 season camping. While I'm dreaming I'd like it to be a crew cab, and have a HIAB behind the cab....too much?
The Canadian MLVW's are supposedly being released next year...1000's of them

Mike_Pop

This camper and trip is amazing. However, it's still just a deuce. Loud, uncomfortable on long trips, and slow. It would be nice to make one of these out of an FMTV.

hole

Thanks for sharing the pics! Nice job on your rig, alot of work I'm sure. How long did it take you to get the truck ready for this trip?

t120r

Update 10/21/09

went out in June truck started right up after one year parked. Solar charging kept 4 6tl batteries at 24.2 volts. Went in the desert got stuck had 3 flats but lived to fight another day
Stove heaters everything work even the ice maker. Now if we could just produce our own beer out there while in the desert.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks