• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics from Ft. Leonard Wood

BMS07

Went to Ft. Leonard Wood, MO To pick up some trucks and here is some pics I took.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were only a couple of those made. They were called Grizzly's. Grizzly [Breacher] They were to replace the Engineer unit's ACE's, CEV's, ABLV's, and M113's. They were built on the M1 Tank chassis, which was a great step forward, but also the unoffical casue of it's demise.. They worked great, but the problem was when they broke down.. M1 tanks are fixed by M1 hull and turret mechanics. M113's, CEV's, and ACE's were fixed by tracked vehicle mechanics (but not the same ones that fixed M1's) In armored units in combat, when a tank is broken, it's a HUGE deal. You do whatever it takes to fix it. Everything else is secondary to fixing a tank. I was in a test bed unit, so we saw alot of these experimental items, and would figure out how they would play into the battle.. The problem with the Wolverine and the Grizzly was that they were on M1 Tank chassis, and the exact same hull mechanics that fixed M1 tanks could fix these.. So the BDE CDR could take the engineer unit M1 hull mechanics away from engineer units in the heat of battle and fix tanks.. This leaves the Engineer units with no hull mechanics and lots of broken stuff... That fact, along with problems with the design itself, killed the program. Same story with the Wolverine.. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/wolverine.htm

Some other notable experiments of the same time frame were the M4C2V and the Armored Ambulance on a MLRS/Bradley Chassis... 2 more programs that didnt go anywere, but probably should of..

Two programs that did go on to transform the Army was the HEMTT LHS and the FRS-H. Both were adopted and have been proven in combat in Iraq.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice pictures.
You answered a question I had- I knew they had the V100 with the odd gun mount on top of the turret, and had seen pictures of the V with the "MP" on the side but didn't know where that one was.

And since some of us are never satisfied, you didn't happen to get any detail/closer shots of that modified V turret did you??
Or the hull numbers off the lift ring? (Longshot there! Trying to make a list of all the preserved V100s).

Thanks for posting these, and for clearing up that V100 location.

Cheers

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice photos, and neat history lesson! Last time I was at Leonard Wood, I wasn't paying that much attention to static displays! LOL Looks like your daughter had a BLAST!! That in itself is worth the effort!! ;-):-D

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost bid on those 900 series residues for the same reason, the cabs. Little too far away for me to haul economically. If you plan on selling either cab, PM me please.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!

BMS07

Yeah both cabs are perfect. You couldnt get a better cab unless you took it out of a crate.Then it also come with the hydraulic pump,tank, control valve and the cab controls. Very happy with what I got.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks