• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of a M1009 in the bed of a deuce???

andytk5

I saw an old 2004 thread about a truck but no pics. The 1009 seems like it would be a decent fit at 80"~ track and the bed being 96" wide. The length is 184 and the length of the bed is 144, 1009 wheelbase is 106~ so maybe a no go. Just wondered if anyone had any pics? Would need some serious ramps..

ranchhopper

My ford ranger just fit in the bed of a deuce I drove back from missouri I ended up tow barring the ranger behind the deuce. Between the weight and size trying to get an 09 into the bed of a deuce is a major safety no-no.

andytk5

I'm not condoning it but weight really shouldn't be an issue other than the loading on the ramps. The 09 is just over 5K roughly. May be a top heavy load though like you were saying.

I was just wanting to see if there were any wildmen out there that did it and had pics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had considered that coming back from GA several years back. Rear tires would have been partially on the deuce tailgate which can barely support a small car. The other factor was the Oh-9 bumper right at the back of my head. Any type of a crisis situation could have caused a collision between said bumper and said head causing unneccessary damage to the bumper. Strapping it down would have taken some thought too as deuce beds have no (or very small) anchors. In the end it just made more sense to drag it on the towbar. Not saying it can't be done but it's not a quick and easy job and plenty to go wrong. Sorry, no pics, never got past the evaluation stage.

andytk5

Ooh, yeah that sounds like a better plan. Might be better in the longer model deuce bed, with serious tie downs installed like you said, and maybe a headache rack to boot! Glad to know I wasn't crazy for thinking it :cookoo:. I have no way of even getting it in there anyhow but thought it was kinda cool. Towbar sounds like the best way to do any of this.

Thanks for the input guys and not smashing me for thining it! lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M36A2 bed with proper tie downs would be much better. Loading docks are pretty easily sourced for this type of deal if it's a once or twice job. If you plan on doing it more frequently a self loading system would be more friendly. A long wheelbase chassis with a common roll back body would probably work pretty good as long as one plans for the slow speed and vast expanses of land required for a U-Turn. At one point I had gouged up a spot of land as a loading dock in my side yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks