• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of Hood Locks?

yeager1

LOTS of deuce security threads, but no pictures/ideas of hood locks. I was going to fab one up soon, but wanted to see others had done. My thought is: If you can lock your hood, imobilizng the vehicle is much easier and more secure, because as many have pointed out in the past- all the in-cab security measures people have done are fairly useless on a mechanical diesel if you can pop the hood and start it anyway.

Should be easy, but any ideas or pics?

yeager1

Lock levers or things that move, don't lock your hood. Just as easy to go under the truck.
Since the motor will start with no accessory power, locking the on-off switch is fairly useless. Locking the engine stop is better, but again easy to get around if you can pop the hood. Yes someone could get under the truck, but would be much harder to get around security efforts (due to visability) from there.

lavarok

Speaking of deuce security, anyone ever install a fuel shutoff valve hidden out of plain view? Could be before or after the primary filter assembly.

dm22630

My feeling is....

If someone wants to steal it, they will. Its up to you to make it hard on them.

Personally, I like the emergency brake lock; battery disconnect switch; and the good old fashioned CHAIN through the steering wheel! :mrgreen:

2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A hidden valve of solenoid in the fuel system seems like a good way for frustrate a deuce thief as well as the more common battery discos and chains. Another thought I had was to make a 2 piece transfer case shifter and pin the pieces together. Drop it in neutral and away with the shifter. No foolproof way but each step is a step in the right direction. How about securing the right front valve stem to a fixed object? Drive away, tire go flat! Personally, I'd forget it!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Since the motor will start with no accessory power, locking the on-off switch is fairly useless. Locking the engine stop is better, but again easy to get around if you can pop the hood. Yes someone could get under the truck, but would be much harder to get around security efforts (due to visability) from there.
Once the hood is locked, then you have to worry about the side pannels. Where does it end? :wink:

bkwudzhom

booby trapped needles that pop through the seat is an idea of mine--too bad i dont have a deuce to try it in

IHASFIP

Why not put a sleeve and a lock around the shaft on the clutch pedal so it cant be depressed? Then you cant jump start it.

Locks are only there to keep the honest people out.
This guy may be on to something. Take a piece of pipe and cut it in half. weld a hinge on one side and some sort of tab on the other. Then put one of those really hard to cut locks on it.

Heres what I think he was trying to say. :)

D

Sorry such a small pic...

Attachments

Last edited:

JDToumanian

My anti-theft idea is to put a start button kill switch hidden up under the dash..... Unplug one of the connectors to the start button, plug it into a surplus toggle switch. Plug one end of a short jumper wire into the other side of the toggle switch and the other end of the jumper into the start button. This way, the start button will not work unless the toggle switch (which only you know the location of) has been flipped on.

Jon

jesusgatos

You guys are making it sound like he's overly paranoid, but I'm interested in figuring out how to lock my hood and every other part of mah deuce up too. I'm boing to be traveling in my M109 and leaving it unattended for long periods of time. Who knows where. My question is, what's a hood lock or any other reasonable theft preventative measure going to hurt? Of course, I'm assuming that these locks and other measures are not cumbersome to use.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You guys are making it sound like he's overly paranoid, but I'm interested in figuring out how to lock my hood and every other part of mah deuce up too. I'm boing to be traveling in my M109 and leaving it unattended for long periods of time. Who knows where. My question is, what's a hood lock or any other reasonable theft preventative measure going to hurt? Of course, I'm assuming that these locks and other measures are not cumbersome to use.
If you ever have a fire, it will be opened with an axe. I have seen firemen open hoods that were locked or jammed before. There is NOTHING you can do to prevent someone from doing what they want. Thats why I said make reasonable efforts to keep it from running (like locking the fuel cutoff rod) you should be good to go. I did like the clutch peddle lock idea too.

jesusgatos

My thought was that maybe the easiest and most effective hood lock would be door locks. It would be super-easy to rig-up a remote cable to somewhere inside the cab. I think that's the route I'm going to explore. Not real high on the priority list though...

yeager1

I use my deuce for work, and often the cost of materials in the bed or on a trailer exceed the value of the truck by over 10 fold, that's what I am protecting.
A hood lock makes it harder and slower for even a skilled and determined thief to jump in at a stop and drive off with the cargo. If you don't like the idea- don't get one. For me, it's a cheap and effective way to make it harder (and louder!) for someone to steal my stuff. Keys in the cab are very easy to defeat because you know what, where and how to defeat it. If you can't find the problem or reason it won't start, it's tough. Keys are too much of a "smash here" sign. My plan is- Use a simple hidden cutoff (or whatever) combined with a locked hood; if it won’t start and you can’t pop the hood to find out why, that’s a great delay- and that’s all any security measure is- a delay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks