• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pics of m923 with oversize super singles?

emr

The guys who say the 1600s don't rub any where, are only being honest when driving down a level road, they hit the bed.to each His own, but the 14s were meant for the truck and are the best all around, unless you want a more atable work truck, then the 1100 duels are they way to go,.

350TacoZilla

I really like the look of the 395 goodyears on there also look wider than they really are when compared to the michelins of same size or any of the 14.00-16.00's.

one question for you guys running the Hemtt rims, with the combat rims I know the front and rear tires track close to same width on the hemtt's wouldnt the fronts stick out further and rears set in further making it a bigger difference in tracks? How bad is the difference? looking down side of truck does the rears looked "tucked in" further than they actually are?

I'm asking because I am looking for an a2 truck (which comes with the singles already) but I also have 395's and hemtt rims already, I was going to put MVT 395s on hemtt rims for winter use (shorter tire= lower speed for bad weather and they have more biting edges) and then run XZL 16.00's through summer on the stock 5 ton combats. I also thought of buying standard 923 and using the hemtt wheels to single it out. I just really dislike the rear of a truck being narrower than front and on most my 4x4 I use different back spacing on rear or run spacers to even it up.

I have a pic of 395 michelin xml beside a MVT for comparison (not really sitting level though so goodyear looks shorter but trust me they aren't) e690f06b5d67__1350338617000.jpg

commandojeff

I really like the look of the 395 goodyears on there also look wider than they really are when compared to the michelins of same size or any of the 14.00-16.00's.

one question for you guys running the Hemtt rims, with the combat rims I know the front and rear tires track close to same width on the hemtt's wouldnt the fronts stick out further and rears set in further making it a bigger difference in tracks? How bad is the difference? looking down side of truck does the rears looked "tucked in" further than they actually are?

I'm asking because I am looking for an a2 truck (which comes with the singles already) but I also have 395's and hemtt rims already, I was going to put MVT 395s on hemtt rims for winter use (shorter tire= lower speed for bad weather and they have more biting edges) and then run XZL 16.00's through summer on the stock 5 ton combats. I also thought of buying standard 923 and using the hemtt wheels to single it out. I just really dislike the rear of a truck being narrower than front and on most my 4x4 I use different back spacing on rear or run spacers to even it up.

I have a pic of 395 michelin xml beside a MVT for comparison (not really sitting level though so goodyear looks shorter but trust me they aren't)
Wouldn't larger diameter tires be better in the snow? Not as much wheel speed, causing less of a chance to spin on you. I could be wrong, but it sounds logical to me. I would run the 16.00's aired down giving you more contact surface. Either way, these trucks aren't the greatest in snow from what I have heard. I have not had a chance to get mine out in the snow yet.

Jeff

350TacoZilla

correct, about the larger tires in snow with a little exception. If they were the exact same tires and only difference was height you would be correct, I simply meant about the speed is I reduce my speed in the winter months anyhow so the smaller diameter of tires (and loss of few mph top end) wouldnt be a big deal. The mvts are little wider than a 16.00 and little softer compound so my thinking is they would be better suited for snow duty, although they actually do have the higher speed rating (68mph correct?) vs 55 for the rest.

Bolkbich

If you try hard enough you can make 11.00's rub on the rear. These trucks really articulate. If you run 5 ton combat wheels on the front 16.00's will rub at full lock, they dont rub with hemtt wheels, even off road. The bed on my m932 is cut so the tires dont line up with the spot intended. I notched the rails and trimmed the crossmembers...yes I know its not as strong, but its good for the 5-7 tons i'll put in it. I really twist this truck up and its pretty good. I think the best body for off road would be the iso body....20/20 hindsight.

Attachments

jrod66

I really like what you did with your bed, I was thinking about something similar for mine, I also like the newer style 931 fuel tanks

jeryshery

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but if you're having bed clearance issues on 16.00s. Why not just replace the boards under the bed with taller boards and have some longer u-bolts made up to remount the bed a few inches higher.

carbonraptor

Check out my avater, I have a M925A1 with the stock super singles. But im starting to wounder if maybe the 16's would be better? I guess its all personal preference.

jeryshery

Check out my avater, I have a M925A1 with the stock super singles. But im starting to wounder if maybe the 16's would be better? I guess its all personal preference.
When I buy mine I'm going with the 16s. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. They fill the fenders out better, taller sidewall clearance, better flotation, more diff clearance, more tire flex and better road gearing. Just a better choice for offroad. To get more power you could find a 350 ntc small cam and stuff it in there.

goldneagle

I have had stock 1100's, 1400's and 1600's on my truck. 1100 are stable, cheap and slow! 1400 are smooth riding, harder to find in good condition and give a good highway speed. 1600's look cool, can be found at fair prices, but ride like crap and suck the power. You can get more highway speed out of 1600's but it is not a fun ride, now with 1400's you can't go as fast but the ride is a lot nicer.

Oh and if you haven't guessed yet. Yes 1600 will fit on a M923, but there is only 3/4 inch between the rear tires and the fronts will rub on the pitman arm and hydraulic assist cylinder in the front.
You keep mentioning speed, but neglecting the fact that the 14.00's and 16.00's are only rated 55 MPH top speed! Where as the Goodyear G177 11.00 are rated 65 MPH top speed! So you can go almost 60 MPH with the 11.00's at about 2200 RPM. But you safe top speed with the bigger tires is only 55 MPH. So the 11.00 are better if you want to drive over 55 MPH safely.

The only gain from the larger tires is lower RPM at top safe speed. NOT faster!

Bolkbich

16.00's are rated 55mph at full rated load. 14000+ lbs per tire, on a m923/925 you've got less than 3700 lbs on each tire (average). Ive driven my M932 over an hour at 65-75 with NO shaking or wobbling and my michelin XZL 16.00's were barely warm to the touch.

plumkrazy

Also the 395 Goodyear are rated for 68mph, not as big but maybe a good compromise. The 923's I've seen look pretty good. If you blow out a steering tire then it's time for the rodeo--hang on 'cause it's going to get hairy! Regards

Maxgussam

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but if you're having bed clearance issues on 16.00s. Why not just replace the boards under the bed with taller boards and have some longer u-bolts made up to remount the bed a few inches higher.
That is how my truck is. It has 14:00s on it now, but 16:00s are coming soon.
I know of other trucks that were done like this with the 16s and they have no bed clearance issues, even under the extreme off road conditions that they operate in. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361543351.171366.jpg

brock

16:00s's fit fine. They do sap some power , but its not that bad. Goodyear 16:00's look smaller than the Michelins. I believe the michelins are a better tire.
What exactly are the tires pictured? What are the dimensions?

Im a newb and am trying to decipher the different tires. I love the way your truck looks!

If I wanted to purchase them, what tire would I need to search for?

Thanks for all the info.

jesusgatos

One thing to consider is the speed rating of the tires. The Goodyear 395's are rated for 68 mph the others at 55. If you plan on driving at speeds over 55 and you have a wreak, you can bet the LEO's and lawyers will be looking at "possible" reasons for fines or lawsuits. Let's not give the public or law makers more reason for more restrictions to our OD addictions. Just an old OTR retired driver thinking out loud. Peace out.
You keep mentioning speed, but neglecting the fact that the 14.00's and 16.00's are only rated 55 MPH top speed! Where as the Goodyear G177 11.00 are rated 65 MPH top speed! So you can go almost 60 MPH with the 11.00's at about 2200 RPM. But you safe top speed with the bigger tires is only 55 MPH. So the 11.00 are better if you want to drive over 55 MPH safely.

The only gain from the larger tires is lower RPM at top safe speed. NOT faster!
16.00's are rated 55mph at full rated load. 14000+ lbs per tire, on a m923/925 you've got less than 3700 lbs on each tire (average). Ive driven my M932 over an hour at 65-75 with NO shaking or wobbling and my michelin XZL 16.00's were barely warm to the touch.
Someone posted a letter from one of the tire manufacturers (think it was Michelin) stating that the max speed ratings were at full-load, and articulated that it's okay to run over max speed when unloaded.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks