• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my rig new here and part number question!!!

AJMBLAZER

Hrmmmm....lemme go look at mine. I swear mine are 4 pronged. Have you visually confirmed yours requires six prongs?

Have you asked about this on CK5? I know you're a member over there.

AJMBLAZER

I just pulled out both of mine. I used them on a Dana 35 TTB front which should use the same nuts as the half ton fronts unless I'm mistaken. Both of mine have four prongs. I'll try to get a picture tonight.

Again, have you visually confirmed this?

orangejeepzj

86M10086.2L said:
Here's mine, both are designed to fit multiple applications but worked quite well for me on my M1008. I don't know if they work on the M1009 too, but from what I remeber on the packaging they should.
That first one i believe that is it it has the 6 promgs on the lip, where did you get that one from, i am just debating on switching my gears over to a axle that came out of a 85 K5 and just using that one since it will have the 4 pronged spindle nut, or is it even worth it.

And i am a member over at CK5 but everybody looks at me like i am crazy because i have the 6 pronged and nobody has seen it before

may not be able to see all the prongs but there are 6 of them

thanks again

86M10086.2L

I got that one at a federated auto parts store, I use it for my rear axle. It's made by Leslie a fairly well know specialty tool company, red and white package. I have seen their tools sold at most chain auto parts stores and smaller mom and pop parts places all over. They're either in the tool isle, or sometimes in the tool bins by the counters. Pep Boys carrys their stuff, they just didn't have this one. I'm sure you could get one or its equivilent at Napa or the like by you. I'll have to look for the package see if i can get you a part number. I had it, but I think it may have been thrown out by accident the last time I worked on my truck.

Crash_AF

According to the TM (I originally thought that was a piece of locking hub, but stand corrected....) This is the style nut used on the early 1984 CUCVs before VINs ending with F136196.

To remove it according to the -20TM (Page 439 in the PDF) you insert a #4-40 screw into the end of the key that is in the keyway on the spindle. Then remove the key, then you can remove the adjusting nut. It also references a tool (J-34616) only for that year truck.

My advice would be to purchase a new four slot wheel bearing nut set from NAPA with the proper tool for when it goes back together, then use a hammer and screwdriver to remove the existing adjusting nut if it won't spin by hand.

This just proves that you learn something new every day because I had no idea that there was any style other than the four slot nut.

Later,
Joe

aboonski

Here's another CUCV socket

I bought this off of an Ebay auction a while back because it was advertised as a CUCV tool. I think it is used on the M1009 but not sure; I have an M1008 and want to eventually obtain an M1009 so one day it should come in handy.... Another member may want to see what one of these looks like for furture reference.

Attachments

orangejeepzj

Crash_AF said:
According to the TM (I originally thought that was a piece of locking hub, but stand corrected....) This is the style nut used on the early 1984 CUCVs before VINs ending with F136196.

To remove it according to the -20TM (Page 439 in the PDF) you insert a #4-40 screw into the end of the key that is in the keyway on the spindle. Then remove the key, then you can remove the adjusting nut. It also references a tool (J-34616) only for that year truck.

My advice would be to purchase a new four slot wheel bearing nut set from NAPA with the proper tool for when it goes back together, then use a hammer and screwdriver to remove the existing adjusting nut if it won't spin by hand.

This just proves that you learn something new every day because I had no idea that there was any style other than the four slot nut.

Later,
Joe

Thats what i was thinking about doing if i ever get this thing off, i will try to go by napa this week and see what they say, i have had this buster knuckle since Sept of 07 and it has been sitting since then i go and crank it up every couple of day but it has been driving me crazy. Thanks for all the help here guys, much appreciated

Crash_AF

Hose the spindle nut area on top where the keyway is with brake cleaner and you should be able to see the key inside. That should let you figure out how to remove it (it is only held in there with friction).

The NAPA part number for the lock nut kit is:
Item#: BK 6301654
Price: $17.99

Same part# for left and right sides.

Later,
Joe

AJMBLAZER

Hey man, the local NAPA lists that 6 prong socket as part number 2770. Even showed it to me in their big tool catalog. He said the price should be ~$25. It was listed as fitting 70's-81 3/4 tons and a few Dodge and Ford applications of a similar vintage. I think GM just cleaned out the parts bin when they started making the CUCV's and you got one of those trucks.

orangejeepzj

aboonski has the one i need thats looks like exactly what i have been talking about, let me know if you ever come across another one in the near future the one i thought i need in the first pics the prongs dont look long enough like the ones on aboonski pics. I found one ob ebay i think(pics arent good enough)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks