• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pics of Vietnam era 4 color camo?

midcounty

I ordered paint this week from Rapco, and being a newbie I ordered the wrong paint. I guess I should have odered the CARC replacement, but instead I ordered what they call the Vietnam era forest green and drab brown along with flat black. I painted the truck with the green, and it just looks too dark for he three color paint job I was intending. Anyone have pics of a camo paint job using these colors? I am thinking now I may order the fourth color and go the proper four color pattern fo the time, but I would like to see a pic of it before I make up my mind to do so. Thanks in advance!

midcounty

Yeah, it's my understanding that there were some painted camo at the time of the war, but none were sent there with the camo paint.

DieselBob

You might want to checkout this site. They don't have pics of a deuce but they do show the different examples of the 4 color schemes of the 70's and do have the templates for the deuce layout. Sounds like all you need is the sand color to get the Winter US & Europe-Verdant

merdccamo

Last edited:

midcounty

Thanks guys. I have to decide what route to take now. Think I may follow the current three color pattern and see how it turns out. Worst case scenario I have to repaint the green areas. I'm not real fond of the MERDC patterns for a Deuce. It looks cool on some other equipment, but not on the one picture I saw of a truck.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here are a few more Vietnam era v-100 Pictures. All of these are Air Force M706E2's except the 3 color camo M706E1 (w/open gun port on door) which is a Guatemalan V. Can't remember who or where I got these, probably form this site or links found here. The file name my offer some clues to location and date.

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

i have been searching for the same info.My truck has the four color merc paint job on it..I am wanting to repaint it back how it is now..But cant seem to find the paint number-color for the brown..I know the green is 383 green black is black and tan is standard dessert tan. But the brown is much lighter that the brown used in the three color camo paint job.Can anyone help me out i just finshed getting all my new parts together to do it now i just need paint?:driver:

Maverick1701

You might want to checkout this site. They don't have pics of a deuce but they do show the different examples of the 4 color schemes of the 70's and do have the templates for the deuce layout. Sounds like all you need is the sand color to get the Winter US & Europe-Verdant

merdccamo

thats a pretty good site bob

wsucougarx

Forest Green is the correct color for the 4 color MERDC! You do NOT want the 383 Green as it is used with the 3 color NATO Camo pattern you seen on today's MV's.
Here's a pic of my '88 M35A2C w/MERDC. As you can see, the 383 CARC green on the cover is completely different from the forest green on the truck. Albiet the paint on the truck is a bit faded and the cover is brand new.

Attachments

Last edited:

DieselBob

Thanks Chris. It does give a decent idea of the different 4 color schemes. The only problem will be getting the correct colors sense they haven't been used in awhile. Rapco has the 34079 Forest Green and the 30277 Sand. I would think just about any flat black would work but you would need to find the 34151 Light Green.

Thanks for the nice pic Mike. That was also an issue I was debating, what to do for a matching cargo cover.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope this picture comes through....sorry had to throw my 2cents and try to interject a little rotor humor...

There was a three color camo pattern in Vietnam. It was called (if I remember correctly) the South East Asia pattern.

The third color is white, the belly was painted white in hopes the bad guys would look up and mistake it for a cloud (yeah right!). We still had one in this paint scheme as late as '86 at Hill AFB.

As for MV's, during my time in the Marine Corps, none of the ground vehicles or equipment we had or that was available in '82-85 that I remember had any camo pattern.

Attachments

midcounty

Thanks guys for posting the pics of the MERDC painted trucks. Now when I look at them, the green on them is much lighter then what I sprayed on my truck yesterday. Here is a pic of what I have so far.
mydeuce.jpg

Mitymac

Midcounty.. Is that the new OD 34086 from Rapco? I just painted same color over the 4 color camo like the other posted pics. I don't like it and will repaint.
Interesting to this thead is when I drove it home from GL I was at rest area and A trucker came up and said where did you get that big piece of ----? I said GL. Have you driven one? Yes he said in Nam late 60s early 70s. What color I asked were they?, he said the same as it was then in Camo... he was from the bush then and sure they were camo.

Srjeeper

Color Scheme info....

Those of you that are not sure what color or patern was used at any particular time, need only to go into the TM section.

All the information,(color-paterns-dates used-vehicles used on) is in there, just take the time and look.

As for 'Forrest Green', it was "mainly not soley" used on Marine vehicles from Korea thru Vietnam.

:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks