• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picture of m1079 with box removed.

ramdough

At the risk of hijacking’s my own thread….. anyone know what the 1087 uses for mounts? Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

The brackets on mine are 5/16" plate where I can measure on the edges of the pockets and 3/8" on the bottom and supports for the pocket. Here's some pics of the mounting (2008 M1079 A1R). On mine the front has about a 5/8" thick rubber pad, and the rear pad is about 1/4" thick. It's that way on both sides and the air gap between the van and the frame doubler is the same front and rear so I've got to believe it was built that way. Also note that the nut/bolt on the back as well as the all-thread with nuts and springs on the front are all left loose (the pins won't line up with the castle nuts at all if you don't). The whole thing is designed to allow movement and frame flex without putting any load on the van box.

Rick
Do you mind measuring the upper mounts so I can tell how to copy them? Probably will fabricate something similar in size.

Third From Texas

At the risk of hijacking’s my own thread….. anyone know what the 1087 uses for mounts? Any pictures?

Good question. The easier answer would be "Anyone have an M934?" (because there are a crap-ton more of those in the wild than the M1087s).

edit: you might tray and ask @StratoCrewzr here (he has an M1087)

ramdough

Good question. The easier answer would be "Anyone have an M934?" (because there are a crap-ton more of those in the wild than the M1087s).

edit: you might tray and ask @StratoCrewzr here (he has an M1087)
I would take that info too, but I think the 1087 would be the closest kin to my 1083.

Third From Texas

I would take that info too, but I think the 1087 would be the closest kin to my 1083.

I'd not be shocked if the M934 bolted right up to the M1087. I know people have interchanged the shelters between the M934 and the MTV long chassis. Thus my thinking here is those two use the same (captured spring) setup.

ramdough

I'd not be shocked if the M934 bolted right up to the M1087. I know people have interchanged the shelters between the M934 and the MTV long chassis. Thus my thinking here is those two use the same (captured spring) setup.
I found a picture of an M820A2 I thought I would share

here is the rear mount:

0D38876E-74A2-41CE-B11C-4E6DAED58CBF.jpeg

and here is the front mount:

04071B0E-01DD-448D-A6F7-BA3051DEA38B.jpeg

They appear to be the standard fixed rear mount with spring front mount. Hardwood or something else is between the box frame and truck frame.

Last edited:

ramdough

My only pictures I could find of an m1087 don’t show the mounts well, but there is a clear difference.

here is the front mount:

65E44A3E-3C73-4AAC-9D3F-CB2990C79AA1.jpeg

here you can see the rails seam to be on top of each other.
7DBCD9C7-A651-42F4-BDF2-C6C7229AE63A.jpeg
CDC0D723-FCEB-4987-8C7F-B42741D9AB70.jpeg
Anyone have a better picture of the mounts?

Ronmar

My only pictures I could find of an m1087 don’t show the mounts well, but there is a clear difference.

here is the front mount:

View attachment 852313

here you can see the rails seam to be on top of each other.
View attachment 852311
View attachment 852312
Anyone have a better picture of the mounts?
Looks similar to some tank mounts I have seen. Looks like some sort of rubber buffer in between the rear mount plates and dual springs, longer than what the 1079 uses…

ramdough

you mean something like this?

there are upper crossmembers as the upper subframe is a welded structure.

If I recall correctly the tape measure was hooked at the rear end of the upper frame.

all the LMTV’s have 2 frame rails/upper subframe. the upper frame is configured for the specific application(m1078 bed, M1079 box, ect. There is a designation for an M1080, which I believe has an unmodified upper subframe for some other application(rocket launcher, missile battery, mobile control tower ect)…

View attachment 852109

View attachment 852101View attachment 852102View attachment 852103View attachment 852104View attachment 852105View attachment 852106
Ronmar,

On quick question. It looks like the front mount is 15” from something. What are you measuring from?

How close is the front mount to the front of the subframe and how far is the rear from the back of the subframe?

Thanks a bunch!

Ronmar

Ronmar,

On quick question. It looks like the front mount is 15” from something. What are you measuring from?

How close is the front mount to the front of the subframe and how far is the rear from the back of the subframe?

Thanks a bunch!

Both those pics are with the tape measure hooked on the rear end of the upper frame which is flush with the rear end of the main frame. So the rear mount is centered 15” from the rear of the frame and the front mount is ~ 117” from the rear end of the frame…

Last edited:

ramdough

Both those pics are with the tape measure hooked on the rear end of the upper frame which is flush with the rear end of the main frame. So the rear mount is centered 15” from the rear of the frame and the front mount is ~ 117” from the rear end of the frame…
Was looking at it all backwards then. So how close is the front mount to the front of the frame? Or the small cross frame the tire carrier is on?

Ronmar

Was looking at it all backwards then. So how close is the front mount to the front of the frame? Or the small cross frame the tire carrier is on?

from the rear face of the spare tire carrier frame it is 35-1/4” to the center of the hole in the front mount…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks