• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picture of your Battery Box?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, in broad daylight the batteries were just stolen out of my M1088 sitting in the parking lot with 3 cameras pointing in its general direction. I figure saying what I really think about people that do that would violate every rule there is here - so I will refrain.

TO MAKE IT EASY: Does anybody have a picture of their battery box on a Stewart with the batteries in place? It sure would speed up the process of replacing them. Please?

Tim

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks like you got what you need. Boy guess it is time to put a lock on the cover! You might get to turn that into your insurance?
I suppose I could but all of them tend to keep a record of spending money on claims... And that means only one thing. Never use your insurance and it goes up slowly. USE your insurance and pay extra for exercising that privilege for the next 5 years. At least that is how it works in North Carolina. License points are 4 years. Insurance points are 5 years.

I am sure that insurance would cover it but chances are that paying for it out of pocket will cost me less in the long run.

The officer who took the report was pleased to get pictures and video. Apparently just in their sector of town today 12 batteries taken from the school bus lot (about two miles away) and 4 batteries were liberated from other vehicles since 0800 this morning.

IT AMAZES me how "a hoodie doesn't make a criminal" works around here. He cinched that thing down tight. Nothing but teeth and eyeballs showing...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They aren't 27 series batteries... I have some of those here. Apparently they are a 24 series battery?

This is amazingly more difficult than when you have the old battery in hand and just want "to get one like this".

JD4044M

Time for a cop to visit the local scrap yard and ask who is brining in battery's! A while back I broke out the window and screwed up 2 doors on a Toyota beater truck. Gave the guy $800.00 to settle up. Guess he was selling it for $1,200.00 and is now going to make more money. I was not turning that in since I got the insurance a few days before. I have a clean driving record from the last 25+ years. I was in a parking lot so not a moving violation but still my fault.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Time for a cop to visit the local scrap yard and ask who is brining in battery's!
Agreed. Price of lead must be up... There are three scrapyards within about a one mile radius. When they start taking them out of city (county) vehicles it draws more attention than an individual. That could help get them caught.

NONE of this is ever going to stop until the penalty for being a thief, murderer or other criminal - insert crime here - have a real fear of the law or Legal System

I don't see that happening anytime soon.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, in broad daylight the batteries were just stolen out of my M1088 sitting in the parking lot with 3 cameras pointing in its general direction. I figure saying what I really think about people that do that would violate every rule there is here - so I will refrain.

TO MAKE IT EASY: Does anybody have a picture of their battery box on a Stewart with the batteries in place? It sure would speed up the process of replacing them. Please?

Tim
you should have the pics in your phone txts just sent em

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Mario

Thanks Mario ! Any chance you have a picture of how you set that up? And maybe commentary on how well those 24F's fit into the battery box pockets?
The 24F fit like a glove -- like a glove I said.
I'm going to have to put a piece of wood or plastic or something to prevent them from sliding towards the outside when offroading, but in town, there is no way they'll move on their own.

I haven't taken a final picture of everything wired, but I'll walk you thru it, it's super simple with just 2 batteries20201024_110008.jpg.

Mario

then you have the longest cable, that's your ground. You also have the other Nato slave cable that attaches to the most right terminal on the 2nd battery. 20201024_110051.jpg

Mario

That will leave you with one final cable coming from outside the battery box, and that's your 12V.
Use one of the short cables to interconnect the two batteries and tie that 12V cable to either battery.
Sorry, no picture of this 'jumper' cable section.

With just 2 batteries the wiring is super simple to understand:

24V+ + ____- Jumper between 2 batteries and 12V cable from outside +____- Ground

I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight -- if I can remember.

Last edited:

Mario

NOTE!!! some batteries are configured with the ground on the left terminal whereas others are on the right!

I picked 24F because the size is right and the terminals line up.
You do NOT have any room to stretch the 24V cable coming from outside without modifying things.

Notice 124R is on the correct side, just like 24F, but Groups 27 and 34 are on the opposite.

It's not to say you can't modify them (and I really wanted to pick up Group 34 because of the higher CCA and reserve, but in the end ended up with the 24F and so far (only 3 weeks), so good.

20201022_192138.jpg20201022_192220.jpg20201022_192237.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, I have 4 new batteries for my LMTV (M1088) . EverStart 124R's

MY WORRY is that I have what appears to be two Grounds (the meter confirms continuity to ground on both) and two Hot wires.

What I don't want to do is put 24v onto the 12v circuit. I can only assume that ground is ground and that seems logical.

I have what I believe to be a 24v hot on the "back wall" of the battery box.

I have what I believe to be a 12v hot out near the front of the battery box.

Is there a way to figure out which is which - without following each wire? And please - where should they go?

Wish I Was Smarter.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So... As I stood there grumbling I figured out that I can rotate the batteries 90 degrees and they fit tightly into the plastic tray. Better than before.

Just still concerned about doing something Stooopid and burning up the 12v circuit by applying 24v to it.

New picture is below

M1088 Battery Box -BatsInPlace.jpg

Based on earlier advise, I believe the 24 should be in the back of the box.
12 should be in the front of the box. MY PROBLEM is that when I look at the diagram under the top of the battery box - my truck wiring just doesn't seem to "reach" where it shows it should be.

I used a continuity meter and confirmed the two ground wires.

The two positive wires... One of those is short and (in theory) needs to connect to the battery in the back left corner. And also in theory that should be 24v. + then - to + then to - for ground.

Seems that maybe the 12v battery is actually two in parallel?

So far, so good. Now figuring out how to tie the 24 to the 12 just isn't something I have ever done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks