• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pieced together M38 project

Coondawg

I thought I would share a few pictures of a M38 (Well, sort of) I just completed for a friend. It's really a bastardized MB. Many years ago the previous owner cut out the side panels that i'm sure were rusted out, and replaced them with sheet metal. This eliminated the indentions for the tools on the side. He also cut a tailgate in it, and relocated the jerry can and spare to the sides instead of the back. He also put a M38 front clip and windshield frame on it. So, what we were left to work with was a wacky looking M38 hybrid. Even so, I think it turned out pretty cool. To the untrained MV eye, it's just another "Army Jeep," but the purists can certainly tell the difference. I did a full body off on it and it turned out pretty slick. I stripped the body and frame, brought it back up with epoxy primer, then body work over that, then another coat of epoxy, followed by Urethane Primer, and finally the paint. All the alterations mentioned are just assumptions on my part. We don't really know the exact story, but I think we've got it mostly figured out. If anyone can offer any other observations, I'm all ears.

Coon

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well like you said upfront...the poor little jeepie could be nitpicked to death...BUT:

I think ya did an outstanding job with what ya started with!!:beer:
Thanks for sharing the pics and the story!

Stan Leschert

What's the problem? China got cheated of a few more pounds and you have a green runner!

Good job!

The purists can whine about what they spent to make it "Just Right",
But you saved a fun beast and gave it yet another life!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are plenty of "correct" Jeeps that don't look that nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks