• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pimp my pod (and trailer)

SouthwestUSA

In my long saga of butchering an M332 Ammo Trailer in order to mount my 600 gallon fuel pod on... here is where I am, and a small "matter of taste" that I am dealing with...

I'll post several pictures to better tell the story.

#1. I "pimped my pod" by painting over the desert tan. First coat was O.D. I kind of liked the overall "O.D." solid look.
#2. I decided to paint flat black and flat brown accents on the pod and butcherd M332 trailer, to bring it back to what my original M332 trailers looked like, my M105 and a few of my M101s and M102 trailers. I don't think I like the three "color" look and I might get motivate to spray the entire thing BACK to solid O.D. (Must the the Army in me, circa 1970-1973 when all I was, was a kid in O.D.)

I mounted a fuel pump on the front of the M332 between the "A" part of the frame leading back to the first bulkhead. I figured the pump would be better protected here from bumps. I plumbed the large drain tube at the bottom back side (that 2 inch looking thing) into some plumbing, ducting it to a pair of fuel filters, both of which will have a water release twisty thing at the bottom. From here, a fuel hose goes up to the pump. I'm going to make a provision in the line just a foo or so before it goes into the 12 volt fuel pump, where I'll install a spigot/valve, just in case I want to fill a 6 gallon or smaller can with diesel and not run the pump.

I purchased 310 gallons of dyed-diesel fuel yesterday (ouch, I think I was hit for around $1,200) and I "tested" how the trailer did with that kind of weight behind my Silverado... It worked great and I might go back and buy another 200 gallons. Probably in six months, I'll sell the diesel and get rich, when the price (according to the news media) will reach $5 or more per gallon. But I can't because I use dyed diesel in my farm equipment and I have 5 MEP generators that might get thirsty on me.

(I'm not having any luck uploading my images in a "batch" despite the file sizes are 800 or less, and I can't even get one image to load, so just close your eyes and use your imagination... and click your heals three times and say, "There's no color like O.D... There's no color like O.D....)

Attachments

Last edited:

SouthwestUSA

(I'm not having any luck uploading my images in a "batch" despite the file sizes are 800 or less, and I can't even get one image to load, so just close your eyes and use your imagination... and click your heals three times and say, "There's no color like O.D... There's no color like O.D....)[/QUOTE]

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks real sharp! I think I would create some kind of box or mud flap to keep the filters protected. Just think of all the dirt they will collect for the next time you need to swap filters.

SouthwestUSA

Looks real sharp! I think I would create some kind of box or mud flap to keep the filters protected. Just think of all the dirt they will collect for the next time you need to swap filters.
Bless you... It's funny how a second pair of eyes can see something the "invent er" missed. I supposed the first wad of mud or a big rock would have jarred me... but I'll be working on a flap or something this weekend...

bigugh20

I was thinking about doing something very similar to that with a M200 trailer. I figured the larger trailer would be more stable with the high center of gravity load.

Firejareen

Those M332 trailers looked brand new. I can't believe you cut them up. But that is just because I would like to have one. And it is your trailer, so cut away. For your uses I think plain OD would work fine. I am just partial to camo. Looks good so far.

SouthwestUSA

I originally thought I would mount my fuel pod in my M105, then abandoned that plan because I was concerned about the height. It seemed to me, the fuel (at fulcrum height) rocking back and forth from left to right, could create a problem. There is only one baffle in my fuel pod, and it only gives some protection fore and aft but not from side to side. I still have to add aircraft-grade cable bracing.
The M332 has a much lower center of gravity... I'm happy how it turned out.
(If I can make this attachment upload, it shows the side by side shot of my M105 and the altered M332... On second thought, the photo (small file) will not upload... Minutes later I still see "waiting on Steel Soldier... :(

Attachments

Last edited:

SouthwestUSA

When I win the Texas Lottery, I'll buy you 6 M332 Trailers and I'll load up a camo Road King to boot.
I got these trailers for about $260 each... It took a very large chunk of oxygen to cut through the tub. I wish I had a plasma cutter now.

SouthwestUSA

For your uses I think plain OD would work fine. I am just partial to camo. Looks good so far.
I hope this upload will work...
Here is the 3 color paint job I did late today. The paint hasn't dried in my photo (and I'm not very impressed) but maybe when it is dry tomorrow, it will look better... More than likely, I'll be going back all O.D. this weekend...

SouthwestUSA

Pics or it ain't real!!!aua
Ya done good so far, don't let us down now!
:popcorn::grd:
Thanks Danger Ranger...
I think I like solid Olive Drab better than the 3 color scheme...

I hope in the morning, it looks better when the paint has dried and is flat rather than "wet" looking...

Notice in the photo showing the rear of my "contraption" that I added a 4 inch steel tubular bumper, not for people who would like to run into my trailer, but so the old man "village idiot" who owns and drives this, will have a buffer in case he backs into a cow. I also added a foot step and A-D-A compliant hand rail so I can hope up onto the back of the trailer and peer down into the "munchkin hole" (I still don't know why they call this feature a "MAN HOLE COVER") and gander at my expensive dyed diesel fuel...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks