• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pin Hol In Air tank

Mackfire68

I went to take the deuce out today and shortly after starting her up a pin hole developed in one of the air tanks and all the air leaked out. Against my better judgement I welded the hole shut. (Sorry no pictures, I forgot the camera and I didn't want anybody to see my poor excuse of a weld job.) The brakes seam to work without air, do the deuces need air for the brakes to work? What would happen if another leak developed while I was driving or pulling a trailer? Should I replace the air tank/tanks? Comments and suggestions please.

FreightTrain

Banned
Yes.They are air assisted.Someone here did a test.Without air the brakes only had something like 300PSI pressure.With air the system had over a 1000lbs I think.That is a LOT of braking power.DO NOT keep using those tanks.You are sitting on 2 grenades.When air tanks explode they release a lot of energy and can kill.Even a small one.If they are so rusted out that a pin hole formed then they are set with a hair trigger to blow.

Jones

Replace the tanks.
The problem with internal pitting is that you never know how many more trouble spots you have just ready to break through.
Even if you don't have a tank rupture in a worst case scenario; you could end up stranded without a way to fix it close to home. Having one of these babies towed home from the middle of nowhere will sure put a crimp in the day's fun-- or your finances.

renovate7

Just went thru this. Had my tanks sanblasted with the truck and left a pinhole. Using a sharp object I was able to enlarge it to 3/8" without much trouble. When I pulled the tank and looked at the inside the bottom was pretty rusty. I was going to get a used one from TNJ etc. but without someone on the other end honestly looking at the inside you may be buying what you already have. I ordered one from Saturn and they are for an A3 and WILL NOT WORK unless you get a very long drill bit and drill a hole thru the internal divider. These are 2 section tanks which I only learned about after installing it and getting no pressure on the output side. Dang lucky I didn't blow something up because the pressure releif valve and regulator are after theses tanks. I got up to 165 psi before I saw the gauge and shut it down. I'm surprised Saturn hasn't said anything about the correct application for these tanks. John Murray told me someone had recently sold a lot of A3 stuff and these tanks were part of it. He joked that finally he wasn't the one that bought the mis-fit part...I took my truck out and opened the gladhand at the rear so I had no air pressure. Found I had no brakes! Try this some time in a big open area just so you know how it feels.

DanMartin

Wow...great info Renovate7! Saturn is usually a good place to source parts, but it looks like in this case they are not the right place to look.

I'm assuming TNJ Murray has the correct tanks then?

sermis

I saw the aftermath of an air compressor tank that blew. Same problem with the pin a hole and welded. A piece of metal about the size if a softball went through the outside of a pickup door and almost through the interior panel.
GET RID OF THE TANKS!!!!!!!!

Mackfire68

Hey everyone, thanks for all the information. Like I said it was against my better judgement to weld the hole shut. Money is a little tight right now so I thought I could get away with it. As soon as I started to weld I ended up making bigger holes. It took me a while to get all the leaks fixed. I guess now I'm in the market for two new air tanks.

Can these be bought locally?

Are they a common civilian part or do I need to get military?

renovate7

I'm sure there are very good/like new used tanks out there for $25+-. You just need to get someone on the selling end to hold it up and look thru it to make sure it's OK. My tanks are mounted at a slight angle so the water collects in one end. 95% of the inside of my tank looked like new. It was just the very bottom at the low end that was BAD.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might also want to consider adding an air dryer to your air system after the new install. Will take some work, but it will help...