• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pin-On 20,000lb Garwood

Have you considered mounting the winch in the rear under the bed between the frame rails ?
I did this to my M52 and also one of my M1028's the works great on both.

Kenny, nope- ...these trucks are big enough without having another two feet added you can't see whatsoever. The whole point of this was that it wouldn't be a permanent fixture on the truck. Slap it on when I have logs near the edges and make it one stop shopping for pulling them out and loading same trip. It's a big winch, but I have a crane that reaches over the front. Taking off will be easier than putting on.

I'm more worried about mudflap liability as the set I thought would work didn't pan out. GOTTA get them on pronto.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be something to consider to remove for transport or farm use only. LOL I just think about geting M.A.D.D. (Mother Against Deuce Drivers) looking at me and mine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume you're just going to put quick connects on the hyd lines? Maybe you already said but I missed it.

spicergear

Bunkerbuilder, been there done that X 3-ish already. :) Mounted a 20K Garwood under rear of deuce, 10K Garwood under rear of my other M715 (Velvet) and mounted one above the frame on 406 Mog.

m16ty, you got it! Gotta check to see which will flow same as the line size. Nice having a buddy at a hydraulics shop in sales. :) I also am rotating the motor 90* clockwise so the fittings are aimed to the driver's side instead of straight down...hopefully stand less chance of banging them.

Floridian, had a guy run a stop sign one time in a Geo and drove into the side of Velvet while I was going about 40mph. No seatbelt, car sheared off at front of front fender openings...a real WOW moment. Driver was okay but swelling and turning more colors as you watched him. I took a ride kicked into the oncoming lane sideways and ended up getting stopped in a front yard. Had a minor slice in a new TSL Bogger. :( Other guy said to me, "I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad it was you instead of someone else...I could've really hurt someone." I told him I understood, then asked if he saw the amount of steel in my front bumper (Channel with 1/2x3 bracing to 1/4" plates supporting 10K Garwood), he said he did and it looked pretty stout. I then say, "you realize if you were one second sooner, and I T-boned you, I would've pushed you through the side of your car like cheese through chicken wire." As his mind made the visualization you could watch the color run out of him.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks fine to me - hidden behind its own bumper...

spicergears winch bumper.jpg
.. with install lift eyes (yellow) and "Sorry, didn't see you" reflective stripes. Could also add skid plate underneath to protect stuff which would act as a foot/stand when not in use sitting on the shop floor.
Add a couple of "dealy boppers" (up sticky martian antennas, corner indicators - what ever we are calling them this week) to the corners...
How about a small bull bar to protect the level wind too.
spicergears winch bumper bull.jpg
Bumper would protect the aluminium parts from damage when sitting on the floor as you race around on your cast iron creeper!

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1985 was working Local quary in my triaxle General. The Generals had a crome bumber and a good size bumber behind it but not hanging as low and exposed tires. All of us who had Generals would remove the crome bumber to reduce tare weight. The boy left the quarry and headed down the hill before me in his loaded General.
There was a good size two lane bridge we cross over and at the outher end was a turn lane to the left. Cars were backed up trying to cross bridge and just as the boy got to the outher side a car did not play nice and decided to make the left turn and cut him off. If the crome bumber was left on he would have T boned the guy in the car and the truck might should have just stayed in his lane and stoped when he could. Instead the truck with exposed tires rolled over the car causeing the truck to flip into the lane of cars waiting to go up the hill killing three people in that car.
I reread your post and you did say if was for farm us and you could remove before flight. We just need to becarefull, all of us out here and is why I drive 45 to 50 as control is a Elusion.

spicergear

Zebedee, nice concepts! ...only thing is that is hides the framework and roots of it...if that makes sense. I like the mechanical look. On the hydraulic modded 10K Garwood for the front of the Mog, I took the time to make a guard to cover the chain drive from the motor to the pinion...but decided I like the meat grinder look.

Oh, and if anyone needs a good condition 20K Garwood winch pinion band brake, I have one from this winch for free-99! ;)

oboyjohn

On the subject of bumpers, here is what we did up here in Canada with our deuces, with or without winches. It also doubles as a work platform when we needed to service the engine.

MLVW2.jpg

spicergear

ALMOST! Good guess. When I put the 2x6 tube on the factory mount it cut down the travel on the handle of the drum lock so I had to come up with something else. After staring at it for an hour, this is what I came up with. Works nice, push in then slide behind little block welded onto the bridge. Drilled and tapped the housing so new handle would have a fulcrum point for the side to side pivot. The case itself if the other one. That's why the slot at the bottom. :)
Bruiser pin on winch7.jpg Bruiser pin on winch6.jpg Bruiser pin on winch8.jpg Bruiser pin on winch9.jpg

Csm Davis

Started to say drum lock but couldn't figure out the funky bending. So is it still spring loaded? So just swing it forward to clear the tab, push inward the swing back to the inside of the tab to hold it unlocked?

Last edited:

spicergear

Yep. When you push then swing toward bridge and put behind tab, it's compressing the original spring set up in pin lock dealie. Pop it out from behind the little block welded to the bridge and the spring kicks it pressure pushes the end pin into the side of the drum again. I was either going to bore a 1-1/4" hole through my 2x6 tube and extend everything outboard or come up with something inboard. I'd rather have things like this OUT of harms way so inboard won and this little design will workout just fine. Everything is factory in the pin/lock/spring set up with the exception of I cut about 1/4" off of threads off of it.

spicergear

Not quite done...still have to loosen up the seized upper pulley and swivel. Added some 3"x 4" x 3/8" angle on the bottom of the 3/8" lower tubes so when it's off the truck it has a nice built in stand/feet. Added a section of 3" channel across between them as well. Now we wait until the oil is pumping...

Bruiser pin on winch10.jpg Bruiser pin on winch11.jpg

infidel got me

I don't care if that is used only for farm use -- that setup gets my vote for THE MAD MAX/ROAD WARRIOR WINCH CAR CRUSHING GET OUTTA MY WAY sorry I had to pick my jaw up. That is one bad a77 set up. FARM ON SIR

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

spicergear

Nice link! My trolley is coming off tonight so I'll be popping in that grease fitting. I hope you've gotten some new Tillman 1470's since then. :) Try the 1490 gloves if you get a chance. Another layer of material where you tend to typically wear them thin. Prolly get another half glove life out of them. They're about all I wear now- Oh, they have a slightly taller cuff on them so I simply roll them down and leave'm like that. Great glove!

Infidel...- Appreciate the Mad Max comment. I had the opportunity to get to Australia a couple years ago cashing in some vacation time after some work in China. I made a 'pilgrimage' to Silverton, NSW where they filmed 'The Road Warrior,' and where the 'Mad Max Museum' is located. Outside of town, I stood where the tanker Max was driving and Lord Humongous' hot rod collided then his tanker crashed off the road. When I looked it up before hand I saw where someone had stated that Silverton was a little bit outside Sidney. When I put it in the gps, it told me 16.5hrs until destination!!! I just spent 10hrs in an aluminum can from Shanghai, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!! :( Oh well...already made it that far. :cookoo: [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Skull Crusher

Pretty nice idea, useful and I am sure it is going to work properly!

If you don't mind I'd like to use your ideas and build some mounts and get a front winch installed on my Kraz.

Keep up the good work!

infidel got me

That's what I'm saying --- if Lord Humongous only had your winch set up on his rig there might be as many

Mad Max episodes as Friday the thirteenth lol. A little bit outside Sydney -- man, I'd like to know what a lot is.

When your done with the last touches lets see it in action-- winch on

spicergear

Thanks man! Come on- it's only the fourth Max coming out. ;) Yep, look at a map of Australia; New South Whales is the big chunk of territory on the East side that goes about 1/3 the way across. Broken Hill and Silverton are all but at the WEST side of the territory. Cool scenery, weird angry giant white attack birds that looked like parrots, kangaroos outta no where, GIANT non flying birds...cool. :)

I gotta either put PTO driven pump on the truck or put a belt driven clutch unit off the engine. Once I have a larger volume oil mover, I'll be set to plumb in crane & dump valve bank to it. The small Kohler driven pump surprisingly does a great job with the crane and it's big cylinders, but I know better than to try a big oil motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks