• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinhole in coolant overflow tank?

riderdan

So last week my 88 developed a small coolant leak. About a hand span worth of coolant on the driveway in the morning. It was so slow that it basically dried out if I didn't drive the truck for a day. Life was pretty busy so I didn't get to checking it out until today...

I picked up my kids from school in the truck this afternoon and when I got home the leak was worse. Some coolant had run down behind the air cleaner drum. Not enough to change the level, but enough to make a moderate mess. The lid seal seems OK and no coolant was visible on the top of the reservoir, so I don't think it's the cap.

I checked each of the fittings where hoses lead to and from the coolant reservoir and they were all dry. However, when I removed the coolant tank the place where it rests the underside was wet with coolant. Both ends of the tank were dry and all the fittings were dry. I couldn't determine if/where the actual leak was, but I'm thinking there might be a pinhole in the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I could order a new tank and hoses, but I was thinking I'd ask the experts before I spend any (more) money in case its something else.

TIA.

orgnal

So last week my 88 developed a small coolant leak. About a hand span worth of coolant on the driveway in the morning. It was so slow that it basically dried out if I didn't drive the truck for a day. Life was pretty busy so I didn't get to checking it out until today...

I picked up my kids from school in the truck this afternoon and when I got home the leak was worse. Some coolant had run down behind the air cleaner drum. Not enough to change the level, but enough to make a moderate mess. The lid seal seems OK and no coolant was visible on the top of the reservoir, so I don't think it's the cap.

I checked each of the fittings where hoses lead to and from the coolant reservoir and they were all dry. However, when I removed the coolant tank the place where it rests the underside was wet with coolant. Both ends of the tank were dry and all the fittings were dry. I couldn't determine if/where the actual leak was, but I'm thinking there might be a pinhole in the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I could order a new tank and hoses, but I was thinking I'd ask the experts before I spend any (more) money in case its something else.

TIA.
Can you pressure test the reservoir with a loaner kit from Auto zone and such? I am still inclined to think it is the reservoir cap. That is what it was in my case.

McReddy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks