• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinion Brake

Billy Bobbed

I was just wondering if anyone is running a pinion brake on the rear for extra braking.This is going on a bobbed deuce with 46" tires.I was going to work the other day and had to hit the brakes as hard as I could and it didnt bark any of the tires.I was going to plum the caliper into the existing rear brake line.I was wondering if it will work right.Seems like an easy modifacation.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Id like do do a pinion brake for the 819, the stock wont hold it on a hill

andybritt2002

they usually overheat really quick at highway speeds and can catch fire lol. ive seen some catch fire on mud trucks just from that little bit of braking coming out of a pit at a good amount of speed. I can only imagine a heavier truck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a bunch of otr trucks use disk brakes, every car and light truck uses disk, Id guess if its set up right it would work

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not bragging but, My M819 will lock up all 10 on blacktop, with moderate force on the brake pedal.

My M35a2's will do the same.

You guys need to do some total maintence on your brake systems.

I would think that a bobber should lock em up easy.

I'm not saying the original brakes are as good as a sportscar, just saying they arent that bad when functioning near full capacity

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

Ive just heard a lot of people talking on here saying their brakes were not that good and I thought thats the way they all are.I was going to haul a race truck and was needing a little more braking.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they will not lock then something is bad out of adjustment or just plain broke. The OEM brakes are just fine, they just fade fast if used over and over.

Kohburn

at the very least you would have to use the carbon based pads designed for high speed stopping, they won't catch fire, but if you get the caliper hot enough you will still melt the seals an light off the hydraulic fluid.

imo if you need more braking help to avoid fading then install an exhaust brake. if you need more brakes for a trailer then use a trailer with built in brakes and adjust them properly.

andybritt2002

Yeah they make expensive kits to give you wheel disc brakes on each corner that would be fine but that's a ton of money and effort. Your pinion spins atleast 6.72 times faster than your wheells depending on what truck your running so there's a ton of rpm there.. If this was a farm use vehicle and speeds under 25 it would probably work. Most states its illegal also for road use. If you did do it id reccomend the best vented rotor you could buy.

sandcobra164

I've looked into adding a pinion brake on my rear most axle as a replacement to the parking brake. It would be a separate small master actuating the pinion brake for the use of parking and as an emergency brake in the event the regular braking system decided to give up the ghost. My brakes work fine but being a single circuit system, I'd like to add in some redundancy. From what I've read, Pinion brakes overheat in constant use and wear out the axles pretty quickly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks