• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pinion woes

chwhite0783

ok so I have a dumb question....well maybe. I have a little up and down bearing play on my front diff pinion shaft. I am guessing bearings are whooped. Since shims control the preload and such, can I just pull shaft and replace bearings and just reinstall with shims already there? Or do I have do completely pull carrier unit and completely redo. I have tried search but no relative to what I am asking, and TM just goes thru complete overhaul procedure

rustystud

ok so I have a dumb question....well maybe. I have a little up and down bearing play on my front diff pinion shaft. I am guessing bearings are whooped. Since shims control the preload and such, can I just pull shaft and replace bearings and just reinstall with shims already there? Or do I have do completely pull carrier unit and completely redo. I have tried search but no relative to what I am asking, and TM just goes thru complete overhaul procedure
How much play are we talking about ? Some times the yoke nut comes loose and you can just tighten it back up. If it is your bearings though you cannot just use the old shims and call it good as the new bearings will be a different thickness. No two bearings are ever truly identical. There is always a few thousandths either way that they are different.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it takes some exercise but can be done with the differential chunk in place.

After removing the front companion flange and the 6 bolts holding the rear bearing retainer the pinion/shaft should come out.

If still OK, clean and reinstall the same old shim packs, or measure total thickness and replace with new shims. That way you have a good starting point for readjusting the R&P contact pattern. Have a few (thin) extra shims on hand, in case your new bearings caused excessive preload.

G.

chwhite0783

Rusty...Maybe and i do mean maybe 3/16 of an inch. Gringletaube.....good thing im kinda small. When i was working on boats, i got all the jobs everyone else was too big for. Brianp454....i do plan on draining oil and checking. Truck drives good, no binding, i was under checking u joint for a vibration and saw pinion seal and pinion. BTW thanks for that video on youtube about bypassing FDC. very helpful...especially the mcmaster carr #'s. Truck was like night n day after.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have had issues with the pinions in my front axle. I'd open the top inspection plate first to see if its getting oil. My original 3rd member wasn't. The second one I installed came to have issues too, but it was getting oil so I'm not sure what happened to that one. The third is in and I've been checking it every so often. So far, so good.

chwhite0783

I have had issues with the pinions in my front axle. I'd open the top inspection plate first to see if its getting oil. My original 3rd member wasn't. The second one I installed came to have issues too, but it was getting oil so I'm not sure what happened to that one. The third is in and I've been checking it every so often. So far, so good.
I imagine it is getting oil because pinion seal are leaking:D

rustystud

Rusty...Maybe and i do mean maybe 3/16 of an inch. Gringletaube.....good thing im kinda small. When i was working on boats, i got all the jobs everyone else was too big for. Brianp454....i do plan on draining oil and checking. Truck drives good, no binding, i was under checking u joint for a vibration and saw pinion seal and pinion. BTW thanks for that video on youtube about bypassing FDC. very helpful...especially the mcmaster carr #'s. Truck was like night n day after.
With 3/16" movement you have bearing problems then. Try and replace them like "Gringeltaube" suggested. If on further inspection you have small bits of metal in the oil then I would recommend you take the pumpkin out and rebuild it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks