• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinky, my M1009, is down for the count

Pawnshop

OR: My 'new" M1009 parts truck!

A Dodge Ram decided to mix it up with my M1009 last night, we BOTH lost but the Dodge came away with fewer salvageable parts. He ran a red light and turned left into me at about 40 mph.

Yes, that is the bumper wrapped around the frame rail, and yes that is the driver's door bowed out (with glass intact inside) from the frontal impact not my body slamming it.

I am apparently OK other than a twisted right knee and truck loss:(

R.I.P. Pinky

IMG_0081.jpgIMG_0082.jpgIMG_0094.jpgIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0079.jpgIMG_0078.jpg

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much ya want for those front toe hook thingies? How bout that antinny thingie?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what did the driver of the Dodge have to say for himself?

Good to hear you survived mostly intact. I imagine his airbag might have abraded his face a little, but he suffered no injuries.

Pawnshop

He said "they told me my light was green", I did not ask who "they" were. Both his airbags deployed and he said that hurt but he did not appear injured in any way and refused treatment.

MarcusOReallyus

Man, that hurts. Glad you are okay.

Write down that comment he made. It counts for a lot more when it's written down. Sounds like maybe his passengers? So he wasn't looking himself?

Or was it.... the voices that told him that?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch, glad your OK, to bad you were not in a M35. The "they" were probably the individuals he was texting.
JC

dstang97

Hope you got checked out. Injuries always come the next day. And it is power over the dollar amount when they tell you, " your old 1984 junky Chevy blazer is only worth $700 dollars."

o1951

Held up quite well. Glad you are OK. What is the ladder sticking up behind his truck? Hope he has good insurance. Most people do not know it, but in many states, like mine, when other party is at fault, do not have to take book value for vehicle, can insist your property be restored to pre accident condition no matter what the cost. Lady up the street had her 1970 Nash Rambler totaled out bad. She is in 80's, insisted at fault party restore it, because that is what she likes, is used to driving. Cost them a bundle, restored to like new. I would go for that or the cost to buy another one fully restored and equipped like yours was. You do not have to start from the beginning building up a GL vehicle again.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:cry: Glad your OK but I cannot help but think of all those hours spent on her to be lost by some ArS.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad everyones alright but I probably would have killed the guy. There is no salvaging her? Even with money from his insurance? :\
The way the frame is pushed over it'd cost much more than the value to try and save it. Then you've got all the front sheet metal, lt door shell is probably toast given the bulge, lt quarter needs work, then paint. The other guy's insurance is only going to pay the lesser of repair or total and unfortunately they get to decide which is less. The other option is for him to try and go through his carrier but they get to make the same decision. Just because it was the other twit's fault doesn't mean it's an open checkbook.

goldneagle

I am glad you are ok. He was probably on the cell phone or too busy talking instead of paying attention to the road. But now you can say you got hit by a RAM. Or He RAMed you! Sorry about Pinky passing... Hopefully he filled in his Donor card.

trukhead

Thank Goodness Yer ok and can walk away![thumbzup] I bet the doucheba% was on the cell phone and texting!:doh:

I think a frame rack would do wonders for your truck and then a mad-max rat-rod bug-out on armageddon restoration is in order. Irt wont hurt so much if you hit the next inattentive driver.:driver:

Crash_AF

The way the frame is pushed over it'd cost much more than the value to try and save it. Then you've got all the front sheet metal, lt door shell is probably toast given the bulge, lt quarter needs work, then paint. The other guy's insurance is only going to pay the lesser of repair or total and unfortunately they get to decide which is less. The other option is for him to try and go through his carrier but they get to make the same decision. Just because it was the other twit's fault doesn't mean it's an open checkbook.
Not completely true. His insurance company owes you a 'like replacement' of your vehicle. That means similar condition, mileage, and options list, or a check for the value of same. They cannot give you just any 1984 Blazer, or 'Blue Book' value for one.

This is why I always recommend that people who own 'Specialty' vehicles such as our CUCVs get an appraisal done after any major work is completed so that in the event of an accident, you have an accurate value to argue with the adjuster.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SETTLE FOR LESS THAN YOU FEEL YOUR VEHICLE IS WORTH.

Key words to remember in negotiation if they try forcing you to accept 'Blue Book' for a base model 1984 Blazer: Acting in Good Faith. Good Faith is a key phrase because insurance companies have lost many court cases over this. The Insurance Company is required to restore your damaged property to a 'pre-loss' condition or compensate you for the value of your loss. They will try to pay as little as possible, you want market value.

Things to assist you:
Receipts for work you have recently done (tires, major mechanical and replacement of wear items)
Appraisal of the vehicle if you have one
Sale listings for comparable vehicles (can be nationwide due to the 'specialty' nature of the vehicle if you can't find many local)

Good luck,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks