• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintal - what size do I need?

Brent13

Hello All,

First post here and have a question about what pintal hitch I need for my truck.

I recently came in as the high bidder on a M101-A1 trailer. I am going to use it for my ATV and general utility hauling. Tow vehicle will be an '06 Dodge 2500 with Cummins. What pintal setup should I be looking for? Is there a specific size, or are they all the same size with different ratings? Should I buy it in two pieces, one that has height adjustability? I do want the trailer to be level. I have also read about flipping the lunnette ring on this site. Perhaps if I flip the ring I can get by with out a height-adjustable pintal? I am clueless, and look for advice. Please spend my money by posting links or part numbers of pintal setups if you have the time. I have been looking at Northern Tool, but can't figure out which one I might need.

Here she is, just waiting for EUC approval at GL and then submission to the U.S Gov't, I guess...

Thanks for your time, and very impressive site. Look forward to learning about this hobby and passion.

Brent

dm22630

All civilian pintle hitches are pretty much the same. You can get some that have 1 7/8, 2, or 2 5/16 ball combos.....but I do NOT think that they would work well with a military trailer due to the height and angle that you will be pulling it. The M-332 ammo trailer I bought looked very out of place being pulled by my f-150.....your truck is bigger....but it still most likely sits too low.

That trailer sits up MUCH higher than it appears.

You need an adjustable plate reciever & a mountable hitch. You will need to flip it upside down to give the pintle extra height. Otherwise the back of the trailer will be 5 feet off the ground.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...0551_10001_111488_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...0551_10001_111692_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

2cents

Attachments

devilman96

Big difference between a 101 and 332, the 101 is about 12 inches shorter (if not more)... The 332 was designed to be pulled by a deuce or 5 ton while the 101 by a CUCV, M37 etc so the 101 makes for a much better "civy" trailer.

coyotegray

If you will be taking it off road you will need a pintle that rotates.
Here is my setup. The bracket is custom. I ordered the hitch from Saturn Surplus..
At some point I will replace the bumper and have the hitch mounted directly to it.

Andy..

Attachments

Brent13

So if I run down to my local Big R store, any of their pintles will work for me? They are all the same size, just differnt ratings? Then get myself an adjustable height mount and I am set?

Thanks,
Brent

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Brent , all this is good stuff. The one from tractor supply is good too. Now rule of thumb,, Bigger is better I think this applys in this case. Get the one that is a lil taller than the one in the pic. Heres what I pulled my 105 and 101 with with no trouble. I did beef mine up a lil bit .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks