• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle extension using A2 Airlift reinforcement plate or not?

Augdog1964

Wondering if the Pintle Extension for the A2 bumper is required or supposed to have the A2 bumper reinforcement plate installed as well?

The TMs aren't horribly clear with the diagrams...

Thanks in advance!

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wondering if the Pintle Extension for the A2 bumper is required or supposed to have the A2 bumper reinforcement plate installed as well?

The TMs aren't horribly clear with the diagrams...

Thanks in advance!
I fabricated my own Airlift bumper reinforcement plate from a section of the original bumper, pintle mount, whatever the proper name is, when I installed my airlift one. Around a 8" x 10" section or so.

Wire Fox

When you say pintle extension, are you meaning the bracket that extends the pintle farther back off of the bumper? If that's the case, it's an item intended to be used with oversized shelters, such as the ambulance body or some radio shelters that overhang the back. If you find it in the 24p TM, you'll probably notice it show up with a UOC that's only applies to the M997-type units.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure 453 of book 2 of the M998 -24tm.

Kit, pintle extension.

10 PAOZZ 2540014117519 19207 12342661 PINTLE EXTENSION PART OF KIT P/N 57K1640
UOC: AVY, BVY, HVY, NNN

AVY M1097A1
BVY M1097A2
HVY M1097
NNN M1123

Used only on the M1097 and M1123 series vehicles, which are the heavy trucks for carrying shelters, not the M997 series (Those are A15, B15, H15 UOCs)

As far as the diagrams, it appears to be bolted to the airlift bumper, but does not specify any added reinforcement of the bumper, and the use on code does include the A0 and A1 version of the M1097, so it would lead one to assume that you just need to make sure you have the complete kit that was installed on that series of vehicle. The manual makes no difference between any series of vehicle.

Personally though, you really can't reinforce it enough if you're actually going to be towing with the truck.

Just to verify though, this is the extension we are talking about?
d57cb3f2ffcce7b569fc35f4d4f5164ab66f1da7-1.jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did so just needed longer bolts from what I remember.

I wanted all the metal more for crash protection than towing capacity. Just my .02
Our military for the most part did not need to park in Brooklyn streets. They were not confronted with the mentally and visually challenged drivers who park by feel after receiving drivers licenses in boxes of Cracker Jack.

The pintle extension should be renamed "the pro-active rear vehicle protection device" and TM's should be upgraded IMHO.

I watched a panel truck try to park behind my parked rig some time ago and damage his vehicle on the rear of my rig. As is logical in Brooklyn, he immediately proceeded to try to blame me, in several different languages. That is when I resolved to install an airlift bumper and this device.

Re-enforcing the airlift bumper seems logical, as well as placing tank armor fore and aft when I park on the street.

IMHO

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reinforcement plate was a s separate mwo for all trucks with airlift bumpers and would not be in the original tm's. Might be in the -387 but not sure offhand.

Augdog1964

Figure 453 of book 2 of the M998 -24tm.

Kit, pintle extension.

10 PAOZZ 2540014117519 19207 12342661 PINTLE EXTENSION PART OF KIT P/N 57K1640
UOC: AVY, BVY, HVY, NNN

AVY M1097A1
BVY M1097A2
HVY M1097
NNN M1123

Used only on the M1097 and M1123 series vehicles, which are the heavy trucks for carrying shelters, not the M997 series (Those are A15, B15, H15 UOCs)

As far as the diagrams, it appears to be bolted to the airlift bumper, but does not specify any added reinforcement of the bumper, and the use on code does include the A0 and A1 version of the M1097, so it would lead one to assume that you just need to make sure you have the complete kit that was installed on that series of vehicle. The manual makes no difference between any series of vehicle.

Personally though, you really can't reinforce it enough if you're actually going to be towing with the truck.

Just to verify though, this is the extension we are talking about?
View attachment 797523
Thank you, yes sir....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks