• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle hitch bolts- What grade?

Ajax MD

I bought a receiver hitch that pairs up with the pintle hitch.

I do not recognize the markings on the bolts and the internet was no help so I cannot determine what grade the bolts are. I need to buy longer bolts the pass through the combined hitches. What grade or material should I be aiming for?

Action

In general, if there are 6 lines on the top of the bolt head (at each corner), it is Grade 8. A Grade 5 will have 3 lines. Regular duty will have none. This is for SAE bolts.

Ajax MD

I'll post a photo. There's a line at each hex and some lines in between the hexes. Grade 8 seems a bit light.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When it’s time to restock my hardware cabinet, I buy grade 8. Tractor Supply sells their hardware by the pound. I grab a bag, go to the grade 8 bolts and nuts and grab a fist full of each size and length I think I might need. When I get home I spend some time sorting them and putting them in the right drawer. My wife makes fun of me Calling my barn the hardware store. We laugh about it but I rarely have to drive to the store to buy hardware to complete a project on the “honey do” list. 😜

Ajax MD

papakb

There are hardware grades above 8 but they're not commonly available and you'll have to search for them. 99% of SAE hardware automotive applications are grade 5 (3 lines on the head) and there are times when you want to use grade 5 over grade 8 because even though they're stronger in breaking strength they are more brittle and in applications where they are subject to strong shocks grade 5 is preferable.