• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle Hitch for M101A3

connordanny

I wound up finding the riser and pintle from discounthitches.com. With this set up the center of the pintle is 23" off the ground. I guess this is as close as I can get to level without either lifting the truck or swapping smaller tires on the trailer...

Attachments

Ratch

Generally, you're better off with the trailer slightly angled toward the tow vehicle anyway. If you load it at it's full 2000lb cap, it will drop a little bit anyway and you'll end up having the tongue too high if you level it unloaded.
Also, perfectly level might affect your max speed with an unevenly distributed load. Military trucks don't have to worry about that too much because they're much heavier than and don't drive as fast as civilian tow vehicles.
I've found the slight angle toward the tow vehicle helps keep the trailer from swaying the truck on civilian trailers at 70-75 mph. Of course, you could also make it perfectly level and balance the load toward the front of the trailer, but I've developed the habit of loading fast and not futzing around with weight distribution. I've done a lot of trailering in the last two years...

If you don't overload the trailer, you should have no problems with it not being perfectly level.

Goose2448

t0mills

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I searched, and it seems relevant to my question.

I'm recovering a (new to me) M101A3 tomorrow afternoon, and the time frame doesn't allow me to fabricate a drop-hitch for my tow vehicle.
Tow vehicle has a factory pintle hitch location in the rear crossmember, so I'm not worried about that.
However... that will put the pintle hook right at 33" from ground level.

Doing the math, it looks like the trailer will have ~6° rake to it.

Do you guys forsee any issues with this for a recovery? I've never pulled a M101 before. My tow vehicle is a land cruiser, and weighs in right around 7k.

koolex11

You'll have no problems as long as the trailer wheels spin. I towed all mine with a Jeep Cherokee, my brother with a Tacoma. Never an issue. Just wait 'til you (don't) feel it behind you. Best trailer ever made.

Your Land Cruiser's pintle is 33" high? I have to see that. Can you attach a pic?

t0mills

Thanks for the help, guys! Made the 400 mile round trip without a single issue. And you're right, I literally could not tell it was back there... Had to keep looking in the mirror to make sure it was still hooked. The trailer track width is an exact match for my cruiser.

It ended up being a M101A2 with an A3 axle/wheels. The guy had several trailers to choose from, and this was the tallest, so I picked it up.
I also got the canvas and the crossbars for it.

Pics:

Attachments

Last edited:

t0mills

Thanks! I've got big plans for the trailer, and will be starting a build thread once I get the design down.

I was looking it over today, and it looks like it was built from a BUNCH of different trailers. LOL

Data plate near the Tongue reads:

M116A2
Modified with heavy spring pack

Data plate on the bed reads:

M101A2

Frame is 4", and has the offset axle and humvee wheels, so that tells me it's from a M101A3. Also, the surge brake part of the hitch is a different color (OD GREEN) so who knows what that is from! :beer:

koolex11

Yeah that's a common thing with the trailers. Amazing how all the parts over 60 years just bolt together. It looks like you got most of the best parts from everything. Are your bows wood or metal?

koolex11

These MV guys will pay a pretty penny for metal bows (and tarp) if you decide to get rid of them. Might give you some coin in your pocket to help fund your build.

Desertrun

What is the dimensions on the eye, I just got one in auction and need to see if the pintal I have will work. Need center dia and the dia of the eye.