• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pintle hitch

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Holland ph-760 rating is 9,800lbs vert load/49,000 max gross trl. weight. A 25% reduction for off road use...

The deuce would be 'overweight' above the 10,000(or 12,000) shown on the the data plate(highway). As for being able to 'handle it' (GCVW) there is an additional 10,000 allowed for the cargo box(highway).The max speed at max load is 45mph.JimK

acetomatoco

I would feel better with a 800 series truck doing that job... The deuce is really a light duty unit, for being a ten wheeler...I would be afraid of the tail wagging the dog in this situation...What do you have for trailer brakes...full air would be helpful for sure.. ACE

No.2Diesel

With properly working brakes on truck and trailer it shouldn't be a problem. Use as many gears as you can lo-hi. A great thunder from the exhaust will explode many ears. Here is what might happen to you when towing such a load. 24K in my case:

When you get up to highway speed it feels like your operating a mile long freight train thundering along. You try not to let anyone break your momentum. Then suddenly a minivan with plywood tied to the roof pullls right in front of without signaling and proceeds to slow to 40mph forcing you to back out of the throttle. You respond by shouting obscenities and gesturing at her and her husband, and calling them C-faces when you pull along side them 1 mile later :)

Please share some pics when you tow. I'd like to see your air setup with hand control.

rmgill

I've had my deuce at 26,200 GCWR. That's truck and trailer combined. The trailer had a 6,000 lb or so armored car on it. The trailer's brakes were electric, and adjusted properly, they stopped the trailer nicely. I use an inertia type brake controller run from the cab on a 24->12 volt system.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I've pulled 10.5T on 3.5T trailer. Handling is good. Stops are good, even panic stops, even with e-brakes. Air brakes are a better way to go. Power is the problem. 135 hp doesn't cut it on grades. Going faster that the max load rating (45mph) is not an option. In my opinion the chassis,brakes,pintle hitch,tire load cap,cooling sys. all seem fit for the task. That low towed rating -may- be for the small engine. The trans. seems small (physically). I always shift with great care. NDCC's may be a concern in the rain. Extreme duty - so maintain well.

Tail wagging is a sign of too little tongue weight.

Ace is right, pulling 10T best left to the big boys.
JimK
p.s. Wanted to buy- M923

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks