• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle Riser Plate Safety

dmetalmiki

just a word...with the registration number

With the local patrolman, (bieng a local vehicle as you said) would (have) avert (ed) a bad Potential misshap with that dangerouse set up. that's what I would have done at the least...Just my 1/2 pence worth.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Here is the setup I use to pull my M105A2. I like having a factory built mount. This doesn't mean someone can't build one just as strong (or stronger) but I prefer not having the liability of something I built.
The only thing I would do differently is to move the chain extension rings further out (closer to the trailer) so that in the event of a disconnect that the tongue of the trailer would not be able to drop to the pavement.

blybrook

Agree with location of failure.

Disagree with your load de-rating. The original rating was based on an offset of ~6 inches meaning the joint is good for 5000ftlbs. (10000lb*.5ft) Offsetting it up to 12 inches means your new rating is 5000lbs or less. (5000ftlbs/1ft=5000lbs.)

I think we will agree to disagree on the methodology of de-rating my particular riser. Your calculation is correct; yet conservative. It does not take into account the change in Sectional modulus (S) as part of the bending force on the plate (Fb) along the length of the weld. Had I utilized a 1/2" plate itself and not a channel, then the moment calculation itself would be closer to the correct rating.

With the local patrolman, (bieng a local vehicle as you said) would (have) avert (ed) a bad Potential misshap with that dangerouse set up. that's what I would have done at the least...Just my 1/2 pence worth.
I may discuss what I saw with a few friends that are local patrolman to get their 2cents worth about it as well. Good idea, hadn't considered that. Thanks.

Here is the setup I use to pull my M105A2. I like having a factory built mount. This doesn't mean someone can't build one just as strong (or stronger) but I prefer not having the liability of something I built.
I tried the factory constructed mount, but it was incompatible with the class V hitch on the truck. I do agree with moving the chain rings outboard as mentioned above. When I tried that hitch, the hitch pin hole didn't line up properly as it was 3/4" shorter than needed. I would have had to modify the brace significantly to get it to work. I am going to be having one custom fabricated at a local shop come next spring to fit the truck properly and be of sufficient strength. I already have the design nearly completed as it has been a spare time type project.

As a side note, there have been some good pictures of risers and thoughts on this thread. I think it is a worthwhile discussion.

Last edited:

Preacherboy

Preacherboy,

I don't think your hitch is much better than the one originally posted. Flat stock has hardly any strength in that position. Your pintle is attached, what....10" above the structural support bar. You admit, that it flexes already, while under braking conditions. Metal fatigues after continued flexing, and always seems to fail under the worst circumstances and time.

Because of your poorly designed hitch setup, you compensate by leaving plenty of room to stop your truck and trailer? What happens when an idiot on a cell phone, that doesn't pay attention to anything going on around him, doesn't know about your needed stopping cushion? Or the flat stock eventually just fatigues and snaps off?

Your last line makes me laugh :beer: You know that its a poor design, but yet you used it for "many hundreds of miles"
What? First, I never said my hitch was a "poor design". Second, the amount of flex is nearly inperceptable...if it looked dangerous 13 mike wouldn't have let me leave the GL lot. And to repeat myself I'm done using it, so you can calm down. I believe it has fulfilled its function and lived its life.

I admit that it isn't "ideal", but it is what I made up and 2 other steelsoldiers with extensive experience in working with steel ok'd it and said "drive safe"...what did they mean by "drive safe"? I don't know, lots of people tell me that when I'm driving a regular vehicle everyday and I say it to people all the time. I took "drive safe" as give yourself some extra room when braking. I wasn't "compensating for a poor design"...that statement is absurd and has no bearing to this conversation. If you want to make hasty conclusions about me and my driving habits do that through PM's not on the public forums.

Just so people who are reading these public forums understand, if I'm pulling any trailer I try to give myself plenty of braking room, not just m105's. When I'm driving my deuce I give myself plenty of braking room. With no vehicle do I tailgate or drive too close for conditions.

Last edited:

Preacherboy

Also, I didn't put the picture of my trailer hitch in this thread to be bashed or laughed at...the question was asked and I answered, acknowledging that mine was not the best, nor the worst.

Just sharing my experience.

Last edited:

spicergear

Here's some pics of the riser I made for my M880 after making up an under bumper reciever.
That's the best one I've seen the whole thread. Making use of both available attachment points to limit the inertia moment on the lower receiver alone is very good. Nice set up! Gold star of the thread- [thumbzup]

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some pics of the riser I made for my M880 after making up an under bumper reciever.

That sir is the most ingenious piece of custom made hitching I have ever seen. Good for you...! This is strong and safe by every aspect. Safety First..!

I give you "1" rep point and 2 thumbs up for your ingenuity and perseverance. Thanks for posting this with pictures.[thumbzup][thumbzup]

lacoda56

Thanks, but it'll obviously only work on a cucv type bumper mount pintle with an under bumper reciever added. An added plus is with fairly close tolerances, it takes up most side to side play.

Speedwoble

I think we will agree to disagree on the methodology of de-rating my particular riser. Your calculation is correct; yet conservative. It does not take into account the change in Sectional modulus (S) as part of the bending force on the plate (Fb) along the length of the weld. Had I utilized a 1/2" plate itself and not a channel, then the moment calculation itself would be closer to the correct rating.
The channel is simply bolted to the plate, it doesn't contribute much more rigidity to the weld than the hitch would have. You can assume the channel is infinitely stiff and it doesn't change the fact you are (more than) doubling the moment load. Not just on the weld, but on every component including your hitch.
I can agree we shall agree to Disagree.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks