• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle Setup on CartCaddy.

therooster2001

OK. Got a question. I have access to a Cart Caddy HD that has a ball hitch. I will be pulling the MKT trailer around, so looking to install a Pintle on it. The bolt pattern is 3.38 (3 3/8 )x 3.00. The only pintle mounts I can find (so far) is 3.38 X 1.75 or something else. Question is I will only be pulling this around the lot, so no heavy jars or actual towing brutalness. The bolt pattern is 4 bolts. How bad would only putting in the top 2 bolts and not 4? I am intending on using this to move it off the trailer, and don't want a disaster on my hands.

I am contacting the manufacturer Monday to see how brutal their pricing is going to be for the custom one. Maybe this is a more common mount than google is letting me find?

The pict of the item and a pintle installed.

cartcaddy-hd-electric-tug-chain-drive.jpg
The bolt pattern

2016-02-20_16-41-34.jpg

And the commonly available hitches.

2016-02-20_16-44-04.jpg

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think 2 bolts will last long at all . But it looks like there is multiple holes for height adjustment , get some 4" wide 1/2" bar stock make it long enough for 4 bolts with 2 going through the hitch , 2 under the hitch , and weld the hitch to the bar stock . It will still be removable from the cart.

DeadParrot

Similar idea. Use the bar stock but instead of welding, drill and countersink from the back the lower two holes for the hook. Drill the top and bottom holes to match the Caddy as normal holes. Now you can mount your hook to the plate with the lower two countersunk bolts and the plate to the Caddy with the other four, the top two also holding your hook. When finished, recover and reuse your hook.

jbayer

Similar idea. Use the bar stock but instead of welding, drill and countersink from the back the lower two holes for the hook. Drill the top and bottom holes to match the Caddy as normal holes. Now you can mount your hook to the plate with the lower two countersunk bolts and the plate to the Caddy with the other four, the top two also holding your hook. When finished, recover and reuse your hook.
Was thinking same thing.:ditto:[thumbzup]

therooster2001

Countersink. Hmm, what thickness stock would you use then? I was going to go 1/2, but normal bolts are almost that thick, so I would worry about the meat that I would have left. Welding would alleviate that. But I haven't welded in 25 years...

I think if it turns out to be too expensive from the vendor that I will go either route. I would expect good grade 8 bolts for two would hold up for the unload and initial check and put to bed though right?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why not just bolt the pintle to your trucks front bumper? Then you could see it while your moving it and not have such a hassle. The MKT is heavy and I wouldn't think that tow gadget would control it well.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... The bolt pattern is 3.38 (3 3/8 )x 3.00.
I'm not familiar with these caddies but it looks to me that on the pintle mounting surface there are two sets of six pairs of mounting holes placed every one inch, vertically? So the resulting hole pattern would actually be 3-3/8" x 2"?
The only pintle mounts I can find (so far) is 3.38 X 1.75 or something else.
If I'm right that makes a difference of ony 1/4". For a light-duty application like your's this is what I would do: file (elongate) those 4 holes a bit and then use four Grade 8, Ø7/16" bolts plus some strong washers.
Definitely better than just one pair of Ø1/2", at the top!

.... The MKT is heavy and I wouldn't think that tow gadget would control it well.
Heavier than 50.000 lbs? That is what they claim this thing can move - although this would be on paved ground only, I suppose... (still amazing for such a small device, no?)

G.

Last edited:

therooster2001

I'm not familiar with these caddies but it looks to me that on the pintle mounting surface there are two sets of six pairs of mounting holes placed every one inch, vertically? So the resulting hole pattern would actually be 3-3/8" x 2"?

If I'm right that makes a difference of ony 1/4". For a light-duty application like your's this is what I would do: file (elongate) those 4 holes a bit and then use four Grade 8, Ø7/16" bolts plus some strong washers.
Definitely better than just one pair of Ø1/2", at the top!

Heavier than 50.000 lbs? That is what they claim this thing can move - although this would be on paved ground only, I suppose... (still amazing for such a small device, no?)

G.
The bolt pattern on the caddy is 3 inches vertically. (I see what you said gringeltaube, it was about the mounting plate, which might be every inch). I can't hack that one up, it's not mine. These things are awesome, I've seen them in use on a tractor trailer. It wasn't 50,000, but was partially loaded and it moved it like it was nothing. The front is a good idea as well. I would be fab'ing something up, but leaving town today and the MKT is set to hit when I return.. Just want to be able to move it without the 5-ton, and having access to this thing is pretty cool. I'll post videos and picts of it in use.

Last edited:

quickfarms

The picture shows the pintle mounted to a plate that is mounted to the machine

You can always just put the ball through the lunette eye and move the trailer that way

therooster2001

That would be the no cost version! I will use that in a pinch, just didn't know how stable that would be. I also found a ball to lunette adapter but it was only rated for 3500 Lbs. All good workable options, thanks guys.

Piper Cub

I have a Bobcat attachment I made for moving trailers. It has the holes drilled so I can have a ball or pintle mounted on it. Usually I have the pintle on but the ball will move military trailers fine as long as you keep the tounge low enough that it doesn't pop up if you hit a bump.

therooster2001

Closing this off. I got a pintle and permission to drill the mounting plate. Four bolts, and I'm good. The thing is great and handles the trailer with ease. Great way to move it around in its garage without the big guy and a closed space full of diesel fumes. It also allows me to move it around the yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks