• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pioneer Tool Rack / Cable Sling Mounts

Deuceswild

Hey Guys,
Been battling a cold for about 2 weeks now but its finally on it's way out, the weather ( today ) is above 45° and sunny and got my mother back home today after her 2nd session of chemo therapy, her spirits are very high and she's doing as good as can be expected which makes me Very Happy!!!!!
After I got back home and unwound a bit I got the urge to do a little " tinkering " on the Deuce.
Some years ago I saw a seller listing a qty. of 5 Military " Quick Links ", they looked pretty neat and not to pricey and I couldn't resist, but what would I do with these?,, and another year or so went by and I found a 33,000 lb. cable sling which I have been looking for so I snagged that too.
Well today I thought it's time to put the 2 together, The cable sling is used in conjunction with the hooks under my winch ( see enclosed pics ), if I need to use my snatch block, I attach the cable sling to the lower anchor hooks, then pull the cable from the winch drum and open up the snatch block and feed it through and then take the hook end of the winch cable back to the truck and attach it to the cable sling. Works Great!
Problem is my left tool compartment is full so I needed to find a spot to store the cable sling.
I toyed around with idea for quite some time and I also wanted the modification to have a " military looking " appearance so I thought of this.
Take 2 of the Quick Links and weld them to the side of the pioneer tool rack, did a mock-up test and it looks like it'll work.
After the mod was completed I taped off and resprayed the tool rack and also gave the cable sling a fresh coat of Gillespie 383 green.
Just thought I'd share my idea with you all, so here it is submitted for your approval.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Slings

It looks like it rolled off the Jeep assembly line like that. XLNT mod!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. Can't tell from the image, but did you angle the hooks, align them with the direction of pull?
I'm asking because it's not hard to deform them unless you use a spreader bar when they are facing straight forward.
Picture below is from the 1940's showing hooks installed at an angle.

Those links look like a good solution, but may give you a bit of trouble covered with ice, sleet etc. Just exessively critical me as usual.

Glad you mother feels better.

Attachments

Deuceswild

Good Morning Guys,

Thanks for all the nice words guys, very much appreciated, I failed to mention that I found those Quick-Links on ebay about 2 years ago, It was the first time and last time that I saw them but you never know when they"ll reappear.
Bjorn, The hooks are actually directional,( right and left side ) each one has a different pull angle to them, they are mounted straight in line with the chassis however the way they are cast the pull angle is right in line with the load angle, see attached pic below.
P.S, thank you for your concern :D
Jeff.

Attachments

PWM

Your truck looks great! What is the intended use for the quick links, I have never seen them before. I know what you mean about running out of storage space every time I add new storage it fills up fast. That is probably why I cant get a car in my garage.

Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks