• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pioneer Tool Trailer Questions

NMC_EXP

I have a pioneer tool trailer. It is the longer version mounted on an M101A1 chassis.

There are a pair of brackets in the rear on either side of the genset location. Looks like these would have held spools for electrical cords.

Anyone know the part numbers for these spools (or have pictures or know of a good substitute)?

I checked the TM archive here and did not see one for the Tool Trailer. I believe it is TM-5-5180-220-12.

Regards

Jim

3dAngus

Pictures are always nice...:D

Care to share any of your trailer and the pair of brackets you are referring to?

NMC_EXP

Pictures are always nice...:D

Care to share any of your trailer and the pair of brackets you are referring to?
I have photos. Problem is I took them after assembling the trailer several years ago and they are 35mm prints, not digital. I'll try to remember to take the digital camera next time I'm out where its stored.

The brackets are mounted to the floor and are made to hold an axle or shaft. Look like they held spools for electric wire. The brackets are original to the trailer.

I bought the box from Cooper County in Missouri. They got the complete tool trailer from the fedgov. They removed the box and used the bare frame for some purpose. The county auctioned the box. The guy bidding against me wanted to turn it into a hog roaster. Couldn't let that happen. Bought the box and hauled it home in my M101A1.

So there I was with a box and no running gear. I scoured Missouri and found Bob Lewis Surplus in Lebanon MO. He had several bare M101A1 frames. I bought one of these. Hoisted the box with a come along and tree limb. Backed the frame under it, set it down and installed the tool trailer box.

Never did anything with it but am finally ready to start because I just bought a used civilian 4KW gasoline genset which will fit nicely.

The box was nice. No tools or genset but all of the tie down straps still there and it had a seven page document listing all of the tools it once contained. I'd make an electronic copy of this to share but it is in rough condition and is barely legible.

Regards

Jim

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cables might have to be something you have to fab up. Lots of power cables get surplussed out as scrap, just letting you know making a set of cables up with new ends and new cable (and wiring it up yourself) might be easier than finding an original set.

NMC_EXP

Mike

I do not plan to restore this to original but I'd like to find the power cable reels as opposed to jury rigging something. No doubt I'll have to make new power cables.

Regards

Jim

DAP

So are you looking for the reels (no cables) but not the brackets that hold the reels? Email me off topic as I might have 2 that I removed from my PTT when I stripped the inside. Mine PTT was on the M101 frame as near as I can tell and I don't know if there was a difference in the reels. I don't think there was a difference but can tell from my manual. Shipping might be a problem as I am in NC. If your seven page document listing the tools is not on this web site I would encourage you to make the best copy possible and post it on this site so we can all have look. Who knows someone here might be able to digitally clean it up.

NMC_EXP

DAP

The brackets are still in place in my trailer. Do not recall how they are attached to the floor. What I'd like to have are the reels and their axles/shafts. Power cable would be nice but not required.

The parts list (form is labeled "Hand Receipt") was in the box when I bought it. It had gotten wet at some point and mildewed. It is badly freckled. It lists the power and hand tools plus drill bits, blades, etc.

I'll try to make a .pdf copy and post it here.

I'll send you an email or PM re: your reels.

Regards

Jim

DAP

Yes please post the PDF and I will see if I can do anything with it. Maybe someone else can also do a better "repair" job then me. I just got your email and sent you a reply. I stripped out everything on the floor of my PTT and the walls and saved the parts but don't really plan to use them. Warning some of the wood pieces smell of mouse pee but can be cleaned up and repainted. I also have some straps and buckles, some rusted but most mousey smelling.

DAP

Attached are some pictures of stuff I removed from my PTT. I think the one picture is the wire reels that you are looking for. However I have other stuff like wood socket holders and even a metal socket holder. I carefully ground the welds when I removed the metal fixtures. I wanted a completely flat floor inside for other reasons so I stripped it all out. FYI - someone commented when I was doing this that it was the biggest BBQ cooker they had ever seen :D and someone else aske me if this was a military version of a trailer hearst for military funerals. I told my wife it would be a great camping trailer and she said no the metal wall was not going to come between us when we slept.:razz:

Attachments