• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pioneer tool trailers - kit or factory?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the M101-based pioneer tool trailers were factory items, or add-on kits to modify existing M101 or M116 trailers in the field? Only reason I ask is I saw a pioneer trailer body sitting in the field at Colemans, but no frame or anything else attached to it, like it had been surplussed out as a kit and not as a complete trailer.

Just got the gears in my mind turning....

m35a2kevin

hey mike,
if i still had access to my external harddrive, i had a couple of pics of them being assembled and painted. they look like they were being built all as one unit. but it is possible these were just being modifed to.

kevin

JB

Pioneer trailer

I do not think it adds too much to your question (maybe it will) but when I cleaned and painted the underside of mine I made out the Bethlehem steel stamping very faintly on one of the cross members.

papercu

Depend on the branch of service. Most everything is factory built, military see a need, planning group get together, decide what needs to be included, how to build them and how many are needed for the entire Army, Navy and Air Force. After years of planning they put out bids for complete units. Lowest bid get the contract and build them. Of course after the years of planning everything is now obsolete. Unit get them and tell what doesn't work and why. Planning group get back together and after more years will issue Change Orders. Everything comes together and GI Joe finally get what they need!
Then the Marines comes and steal it from them. And Life goes on. Wayne

LanceRobson

Hello Mike

My pioneer trailer has a 1982 Southwest Truck Body box on an M116A1 chassis. The chassis seems straight stock. There is a layer of 3/4" plywood between the box and chassis.

There's no direct evidence I can see as to whether the body was installed at the Southwest factory or a depot etc. The trailer data plate info is sparse. It only has the serial number (458) and the word "CONTRACT" is over stamped with "REGIST" followed by 06CV6768. Everthing else is blank. I'll look under it later today and see what I can learn from the paint.

If you need pics, let me know. My trailer is in daily use and is sitting in the driveway.

If you don't want it for yourself and it's in good shape, I'm interested. A second one would be handy.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks