• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pioneer tools

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do they work like the practice decon kits where every stroke of the pump puts water out? These decon kits are kinda cool too.

Jetnoise400

Absolutely right Kenny. You pump, it squirts. The end has a nozzle that lets you vary the type of stream from straight to a fanned out type. They always taught us to just put your thumb over the end of the nozzle to get the pattern you wanted, and saved water too.

Woo hoo! Finally something I know a little about :lol:

sailor2000

Any ideas for securing the tools on the rack against theft? I think it is more likely that someone would steal the tools than try to make a high speed get-away in my Deuce....

Jones

A hinged framework that swings over the tools, or slide-in locking bars, and keeps them from being lifted out of their cradles in the pioneer kit is about the only way I know of. Unfortunately this is a case of 'Just when you think you've idiot(thief)-proofed the system-- the world invents a better idiot(thief)'.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to this pioneer tool thing. I have a complete set on the tractor. All of the wood is in very poor shape. Anyone have thoughts on wood replacement? Am I fighting an uphill battle trying to do this? I just hate to toss this stuff for the wood. Now with new tools or wood, what is the better way to preserve it? Would a serious saturation with linseed oil work? I'm not much of an authority when it comes to wood. I'm getting 2 pick mattocks from Frank but finding a handle for the one I got helps too.

houdel

Might just as well replace the handle as buy a new tool, the wood is going to rot at the same rate either way. Most any decent hardware store (True Value, Ace etc., maybe even the big box store like Lowes & Home Depot) should have replacement wood handles. I've replaced quite a few, it is fairly simple to do. Either linseed oil or a couple coats of OD paint would work for preventing rot. Or, you could just move to a cooler, drier climate where a new axe handle won't rot out overnight.....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Lee. I'd love to move for more reasons than the pioneer tool handles but I'm way to close to retirement to move on now.I am going to drift up to the True Value to see if they can match something up.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our tool store here has pioneer tools (shovels, axes, pickaxes) with "plastic" handles. They do not splinter, do not swell or shrink or rot and only break when severely abused (like wood). Paint the yellow handles OD green and you should be set.
Even if they do get stolen, it would not be a huge loss.

blackdog404

If anyone is looking for mattocks I have a whole bunch of them, wooden handled, military style. I even have some mattock heads that, rather than having the flat part on one end, has two spiked ends.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Kenny....I don't know about Yankee Land South (Florida) but up here we have big flea markets. There is always a few guys selling replacement handles. Make sure you get hickory or ash. Those are the hardest woods for handles.

When I was a young soldier I was the consumate dumpster diver. :lol:
Once a day I would make my rounds of the motor pool dumpsters and usually I would find something.
I have 12, 5 and 2 pound sledge hammers that I recovered from there. [thumbzup]
When I pointed them out to the motor sergeant he explained that we could order new hammers but not new handles. :cookoo:
He said anything I found in the dumpster was mine to keep provided the Lt. didn't see it.
When the big yearly inspection came around there was always good hunting when the other sections got rid of their "unauthorized spares" . 8)

Your tax dollars at work. :roll:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Best bet on the retaining the pioneer tools - keep them in the shed, or in the cab, and strap them on only at the shows. Otherwise, they will, rust, rot, and walk. I got mine, original GI, from Memphis Equipment.

Hope this helps,
David

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best bet on the retaining the pioneer tools - keep them in the shed, or in the cab, and strap them on only at the shows. Otherwise, they will, rust, rot, and walk.
Agreed!

I like having all of, "the stuff." But, as mentioned earlier, all that BII, (namely pioneer tools), always stayed back at the armory. Never really necessary, but probably a purpose somewhere. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, I guess, but that rack is a sweet spot for a cheater bar, cot, and sleeping bag, (stuffed in your waterproof rucksack liner). The freed up space has more usefulness than the pioneer tools.

vinny-socom1

Hey Kenny
Try CarQuest, I found that they can get all kinds of Hickory handles!!I bought a new Hickory tire iron handle for like $26.00 thats hard to find!! Back to the pioneer tools I believe Major Surplus online sells the shovel , axe & matox.

Vinny

houdel

FWIW, I just bought a new True Temper axe for $21.99 from my local Do It Best hardware store. Varnished Hickory handle, 3-1/2 lb head, and fits nicely in the tool rack. Not clearly marked as to where it is made, but the head is stamped "US06". If you don't have a local Do It Best store you can order it online at http://doitbest.com/main.aspx. Price is the same, shipping was quoted at $6.33, stock number is 300837. Beats paying $45 plus shipping. If asked to enter a hardware store name, use "Reed City Hardware, Reed City MI". My local guy will get a commission on the sale!