• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piper L4 Grasshopper

vtdeucedriver

I suppose the main issue with landing on a friendly farmer's field is you have to stay above 500 feet when crossing the neighbor's property. Unless the field is very large, it can make for interesting landings and takeoffs.

And, if the neighbors get annoyed and call the FAA, you will have to explain yourself.

-Chuck

Not a big deal for the cub.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW8GRJI6Kz4[/media]

PorscheTech911

Okay thank you guys for the info and clarity. The money still hasn't turned me off from it yet. I appreciate it guys. I should know next week if I get the job at the airport part time. CAT said they are okay with it, so no issues there. I'm gonna do the first flight thing they offer where you go up for about 100 bucks to get a feel. I'll let you all know how it goes. Might do that after the Iola, WI event next week.

PorscheTech911

Well good news today! I got the job with the local airport, my buddy and I start in a few weeks. Might have a instructor recommended to us by some new gunshop owners.

vtdeucedriver

:beer:You might also check into joining the Commemorative Air Force.....You can get qualified to fly their planes and meet a great group of people.....-= COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE =-

That is all in well but if he is determined, he might as well save his $$$ and get his own airplane and then that way, he can get some of his money back if his situation changes. Besides, he may not live near a CAF wing. I know this as there are none in all of NewEngland. But thats just me, I got my own:D

PorscheTech911

I'm with VT on this. I think the CAF is a great idea, but if things turn sour or something happens and I have my own plane I could sell it if I had to. Flying other peoples stuff is a blast I'm sure, but there's nothing like walking out onto the tarmac and seeing your baby all gussied up ready to fly anywhere you want to go.

I'd doubt there is a CAF or even a CAP wing anywhere near Peoria, this town is too small. I cannot wait to start lessons.

rhinob

Thats what I thought too. The view (based on YouTube vids) looks just incredible. And I hear they are excellent planes for beginners like me and seasoned pilots alike. I don't know if you have to pay to land, that would be the only draw back for me is having to pay at every airport along the way. Please correct me if i'm wrong here.

Also the Continental 64 is supposed to run on AVgas 80, but from what I've found that isn't available anymore, or very little. The experts claim it is alot like automotive gasoline, but that doesn't have the vaporization protection like the AVgas does. What fuel do you use in these engines today? And how much a gallon is it generally? I expect around 4.50-6 dollars for fuel (the Grasshopper only holds 8 gallons from what i've gathered)
More octane won't hurt anything. Use 100LL. It costs $3.50 up per gallon. Smaller airports, lower fuel prices, generally.

PorscheTech911

For those of you with Piper Cub J-3/L-4 experience: How difficult is it to find engine/frame/wrap/prop parts and components? I have no idea what goes into re-wrapping a plane (I would have to hire someone to do it I think) and I have no idea where to start looking for parts, although there is a guy in Kansas selling some parts.

Thankya

rhinob

More octane won't hurt anything. Use 100LL. It costs $3.50 up per gallon. Smaller airports, lower fuel prices, generally.

One other thing I wanted to mention. Don't use fuel with Ethanol. As I understand it from a recent FAA / Rotax seminar, fuels with Ethanol can separate while stored and this concentration of alcohol is what can do the most damage to the engine when run, and seals that it sits against. I'm repeating what I heard and I'm not a scientist but it seems like reasonable advice. I have radials on my two birds that have sodium filled exhaust valves, so the lead is not important. Would love to use auto fuel, but since I'm staying away from Ethanol, I've found it impossible to find any I can use.

PorscheTech911

That's good advice, thats the same reason why you can't use E85 in a normal vehicle cause of the alcohol. I didn't realize they were mixing avgas with it as well. Thanks for the info!

rhinob

That's good advice, thats the same reason why you can't use E85 in a normal vehicle cause of the alcohol. I didn't realize they were mixing avgas with it as well. Thanks for the info!
My apologies. I didn't mean to imply the Avgas has ethanol. I was just warning of any fuels with it, don't use it. To my knowledge, ethanol is not FAA approved.

stumps

One other thing I wanted to mention. Don't use fuel with Ethanol. As I understand it from a recent FAA / Rotax seminar, fuels with Ethanol can separate while stored and this concentration of alcohol is what can do the most damage to the engine when run, and seals that it sits against. I'm repeating what I heard and I'm not a scientist but it seems like reasonable advice. I have radials on my two birds that have sodium filled exhaust valves, so the lead is not important. Would love to use auto fuel, but since I'm staying away from Ethanol, I've found it impossible to find any I can use.
The ethanol put in gasoline is anhydrous ethanol, meaning it is dehydrated so that it has no water in it. Anhydrous ethanol will suck the moisture right out of the air, and it takes very little added moisture to make it heavier than gasoline. Once that happens, it sinks to the bottom of the tank/float bowl. Air gets to the gasoline through the float bowl and gas tank vents found in older equipment.

Here's an experiment to try. Put a half cup of fresh gasoline into a tuna fish can and let it set in the air for a few minutes. Almost immediately you will see the gasoline go cloudy and get really cold. A bit longer, and you will see little brownish globules of water/ethanol settle out into the bottom of the can.

That can be useful. If you want to remove the ethanol from modern gasoline, all you have to do is add water and shake. Within seconds it will all settle out to the bottom of the container.

-Chuck

rhinob

The ethanol put in gasoline is anhydrous ethanol, meaning it is dehydrated so that it has no water in it. Anhydrous ethanol will suck the moisture right out of the air, and it takes very little added moisture to make it heavier than gasoline. Once that happens, it sinks to the bottom of the tank/float bowl. Air gets to the gasoline through the float bowl and gas tank vents found in older equipment.

Here's an experiment to try. Put a half cup of fresh gasoline into a tuna fish can and let it set in the air for a few minutes. Almost immediately you will see the gasoline go cloudy and get really cold. A bit longer, and you will see little brownish globules of water/ethanol settle out into the bottom of the can.

That can be useful. If you want to remove the ethanol from modern gasoline, all you have to do is add water and shake. Within seconds it will all settle out to the bottom of the container.

-Chuck
That is VERY useful information. Thank you for sharing that.....[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks