• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pisked up a 6.5 today

cedargrove

Picked up a 6.5 today

Hello all,
I'm new to Steel Soldiers but have been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am a 6.2/6.5 diesel owner and love these engines.

I bid on and won what I thought was a 6.2 from GL last week. Picked it up from Ft Bragg today and brought it home. Turns out it's a 6.5. Removed the glow plugs and turned it by hand a couple of times. So far, so good. I have no idea what the history of this engine is but it appears to be pretty much unused. The injector line was off of cylinder 5 and the pump and that's about the only quirky thing I have noticed so far.

I've been watching superburban's posts on ground hopping closely and certainly appreciate the great information. I hope to get my ground hop going in the coming weeks.

My plan is to stuff this into my 84 C10 (old 6.2 getting tired) so I've been reading many good post here about that as well. Thanks for all of the good work that you do!

Lewis

Attachments

Last edited:

ranchhopper

Well it looks as its got a new set of heads a good sign because they crack between the valves one less thing to worry about. Looks like it may be rebuilt the green marks indicate check off points on the list of reassembly things to check.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There may be a glich//setback in your plans. You mentioned 84 C10 right? As you may or may not know, the oil pan on the HMMWV was different from the CUCV. The HMMWV pan barely clears the front diff on the CUCV when installed. Knowing what the bottom of a 2WD looks like, the oil pan may need modifications to fit over that huge crossmember down there. Sadly, the oil pans don't interchange as the newer engine has the 1 pc rear main seal. I don't know if a pan off of a 98 or 99 Chev truck is much different or if they had the 1 pc seal. Not trying to rain on your parade, just bringing up what might be a setback. Fine catch on the purchase though for sure!

cedargrove

There may be a glich//setback in your plans. You mentioned 84 C10 right? As you may or may not know, the oil pan on the HMMWV was different from the CUCV. The HMMWV pan barely clears the front diff on the CUCV when installed. Knowing what the bottom of a 2WD looks like, the oil pan may need modifications to fit over that huge crossmember down there. Sadly, the oil pans don't interchange as the newer engine has the 1 pc rear main seal. I don't know if a pan off of a 98 or 99 Chev truck is much different or if they had the 1 pc seal. Not trying to rain on your parade, just bringing up what might be a setback. Fine catch on the purchase though for sure!

A good point and was certainly on my list of questions/cocerns, but we will cross that creek when we get to it. The wife drives a 6.5 td crew cab dually with one of these post GM blocks in it so I'll have something to look at as I progress. It's certainly not going to be a one day type swap and I am braced for the worst while hoping for the best. Reviva sells a 6.5 to replace old 6.2s like mine so I'm pretty sure there is a solution out there. I'm pretty sure they are using the exact same Navistar block I picked up today. Might have to write a check or two though.

One thing at a time. First I want to see if she's a runner. If she is, then I'll work on all of these conversion issues. All the time I will be hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. The 6.2 is tired but not dead so this isn't the sort of project I have to knock out by Monday morning.

Been reading up on the IP conversion. I have an 83 C10 with the 6.2 sitting in the yard with a bum 700R4. My plan is to steal the IP cover from that as well as the starter for Operation Ground Hop. Also have an old 6.5 radiator in the yard that may well see some action.

This project might be just a hair outside of my comfort zone but I'm taking the slow and steady approach. Between you guys, thedieselpage, and my 6.2/6.5 experience I might be able to pull it off.

jj

The newer 6.5's from GM DO have the one-piece seal, so that means there should be GM pans that will fit the chassis and the engine. Assuming, of course, that the Navistar castings didn't change the pan gasket rails. Consider, possibly, an oil pan from a G-type van. My 2002 Savana has a 6.5 with the center mount turbo, a one piece seal, is two wheel drive, and has A LOT of room between the pan and crossmember. This might not be too bad of a crisis. Good Luck.

hotdogs151a2

If you can weld or know someone that can, an oil pan mod is very doable. We did it all the time when we were drag racing. The first one I did was welded with a torch and a coat hanger. No minutes and no leaks.
Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
Thanks, Pvt. Hotdog

cedargrove

Dumped a gallon of Rotella in tonight and turned the oil pump with a drill. She made 50 psi so that is encouraging. I hope to hook up a 24v jumper to the fuel shutoff on Thursday or Friday evening and pull the ground hop off on Saturday and continue the assessment.

The quick and dirty measurement of the oil pan on the wife's 98 6.5 leads me to believe that the 6.5 oil pan will fit in my 84 C10.

cedargrove

Hopped the 6.5 off this weekend. First discovered that the lift pump was not working because the rod had fallen down before the pump was installed. Fixed that, primed it up, and it fired immediately without any glow.

Cylinder 6 has low compression @ 350 psi. Everyone else was in the 450 to 500 range. Cylinders 5 and 4 are not getting fuel because the lines are not tight enough at the pump. Need to get a 5/8 crowfoot to snug those up.

Next I will either pull the passenger head and see what's up with the low compression on 6 or do a leak down test.

Definitely a fun weekend of tinkering.

cedargrove

So what is the update on your engine?
Funny you should ask! Just picked the block up from the machine shop yesterday. They honed the cylinders and the main line, installed new cam bearings, reconditioned the rods, installed the new Scat crank that I gave them along with the rear main seal. They fit the new rod bearings and checked and cleaned the pistons. I have a new set of rings and gaskets ready to go. It's back on the stand in my shop and may get tinkered with this weekend. Still need a high flow oil pump as I went back with main bearings that will turn the oil squirts on. Have a 6.5 oil pan ready to go. Need head bolts as well.

When I picked up the block I dropped off some heads that have been sitting outside for a few years. My wife's 98 was having issues that I was hoping caused by cracked heads. Bought new heads and discovered that it was a cracked block. Bought a long block and left these puppies sitting outside for about 3 years. He's going to rebuild them so they will be good as new so hopefully I can sell those to get a little scratch to keep this current project in motion. In the condition they were in, I couldn't give them away on craigslist.

Guess I should mention that when I cracked the thing open I discovered the 5 and 6 rod bearings spun. That's why all the work at the machine shop and the new crank.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks