• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piston Rings Worn Out, Time for a Rebuild

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New style pistons? The pistons of those LDS-kits in question don't have a skirt.

But I do remember now that he once mentioned that in his kit there was one piston looking different... Hope they are the same weight at least.

74M35A2

*burp*. Should have taken pictures and looked at them. Ha! We missed that, focused on ring count. Yes, one piston was different when initially shipped, but they since shipped a match. The above was not observed, I believe. Long block is together, we'll see what he wants to do. Thanks for the grab.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they, all 6...??
No sir. This is a mistake and we have the correct ones. Very good catch but this was one my buddy Zach and I mounted up on my old piston. so what you see there is my old piston mounted on a connecting rod. This was changed and all of my pistons now are like the ones seen in the vise. Again, very good observation. When I was cleaning the pistons in the vise there, I did all 6 and recalled them all sitting flush to the vise.

This is why pictures are good, its a good sanity check if we miss something during a build or want to look back and see what we did. With my memory, I cant even remember what i had for breakfast sometimes :D

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*burp*. Should have taken pictures and looked at them. Ha! We missed that, focused on ring count. Yes, one piston was different when initially shipped, but they since shipped a match. The above was not observed, I believe. Long block is together, we'll see what he wants to do. Thanks for the grab.
Remember when we installed pistons? We installed #6 working toward #1 cylinder putting in last. It was #1 cylinder that we assembled the connecting rod on and was the last one for me to change over to the new piston.

o1951

I wish you the very best of luck!

Half the time, when I did not have enough dough, and tried to save a few bucks by re-using "used but good" parts, I wound up doing the job over again in about year or so.

74M35A2

I wish you the very best of luck!

Half the time, when I did not have enough dough, and tried to save a few bucks by re-using "used but good" parts, I wound up doing the job over again in about year or so.
We'll, you did better than Hot Dog here. His rebuild with new parts didn't even last a summer, until it was dropping terds out the draft tube. Maybe by his re-use of parts this time, it will go further/longer.

You can tell I just went to his garage and passed out in the corner last night.

74M35A2

Remember when we installed pistons? We installed #6 working toward #1 cylinder putting in last. It was #1 cylinder that we assembled the connecting rod on and was the last one for me to change over to the new piston.

I don't know anymore. By the end of this, you'll have more pistons than a B-29.

74M35A2

We got the long block together including slugs, heads, and oil pan. I think he has since added on the manifolds, because now he says his turbo compressor impeller is rubbing the housing. I'm trying to talk him into a C model if he is not rebuilding his D. This thing is costing him $ every time he turns the garage lights on.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the manifolds on now and rocker arms bolted down. Before I put the turbo on, I checked the turbine shaft for looseness. Yup, she is loose. I can barely see a spot on the casting where it looks like the impeller has touched the housing. I'm wondering about putting a rebuild kit in it and balancing the shaft. The turbo worked great before making good boost. I have my eyes out for another turbo or putting a rebuild kit in this one. Decisions, decisions.

20160221_165832.jpg

ShawnIfert

I have seen plenty bad new parts over the years working on and testing diesel. I have had brand new cats, Cummings and detroits blow up on the test stand for one reason or another. I would put a new piston kit in hole #2.
I am running the same piston kit in a lds configuration and no issues so far. I have converted my ldt. It just maybe a bad piston kit. I have read the thread. I did not see an lds conversion mentioned. I pulling more than 50 hp over if you are still ldt. Not one problem with blow by. When it's very hot I have some, but nothing abnormal. But it is was 20f when I ran it.

I do have a spare d turbo nos I would sell you for 550. I am not at home, I will not be back until April. I am in Mali working in the mines.

74M35A2

His turbo had excessive play so he bought a NOS one, due to arrive any day now. Once that is on, it will still be a while because he won't drive it when there is any salt on the road. So, I estimate another 1-2 months before he starts it for break-in.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have seen plenty bad new parts over the years working on and testing diesel. I have had brand new cats, cummins and detroits blow up on the test stand for one reason or another. I would put a new piston kit in hole #2.
I am running the same piston kit in a lds configuration and no issues so far. I have converted my ldt. It just maybe a bad piston kit. I have read the thread. I did not see an lds conversion mentioned. I pulling more than 50 hp over if you are still ldt. Not one problem with blow by. When it's very hot i have some, but nothing abnormal. But it is was 20f when i ran it.

I do have a spare d turbo nos i would sell you for 550. I am not at home, i will not be back until april. I am in mali working in the mines.
fify

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like 74M35A2 said, Mainly waiting on the turbo. I still have to double check things underneath to make sure they are all tight, put the transmission tunnel back on (from doing the clutch), adjust the valves, put engine oil in it, install valve covers, turbo, related plumbing, buy a heater hose (straight piece will be easy to get), fill with coolant, drain fuel system to get the 25% of WMO out of the fuel tank and fill with 100% diesel.

I hope everything turns out ok... I'm not doing this again.

daytonatrbo

Like 74M35A2 said, Mainly waiting on the turbo. I still have to double check things underneath to make sure they are all tight, put the transmission tunnel back on (from doing the clutch), adjust the valves, put engine oil in it, install valve covers, turbo, related plumbing, buy a heater hose (straight piece will be easy to get), fill with coolant, drain fuel system to get the 25% of WMO out of the fuel tank and fill with 100% diesel.

I hope everything turns out ok... I'm not doing this again.

Just saw your piston post in the parts wanted section. Everything ok?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks