• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piston Rings Worn Out, Time for a Rebuild

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes me wonder if maybe wildchild467 has a Y block and may have used Z liners. It would be a loose fit. It would seem like the sleeve would expand and give lots of blowby . Has anybody else ran into this, or have experience with it?

ShawnIfert

That is a very good point!! That would cause the issue that he is having. The cylinder expanding larger than the spec required. It could also be that the ring groove are cut to deep in the number 2 piston. But I think you may be on to something there.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was not aware of the different size sleeves until I pulled my sleeves out and was curious what the Z was for. Reading the TM I also discovered that a block can have both sleeves in it. So I checked all my sleeves to see if they all were the same designation, and they were.

ShawnIfert

When I installed the LDS rocker arm it had me a bit concerned when I rolled the engine over. The rocker compressed the intake valve all the way down. The valve spring was almost fully collapsed!! I did a test run with the only the rockers install in a ldt configuration and I went from 1100 egt to 900 egt.

ShawnIfert

Just an FYI on my last post. The results of my test don't mean you can just turn up the fuel!! You will exceed the max pressure that the injectors can withstand and you will send guts from an injector through your engine!! Not good!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tore my deuce engine down the other day, I was surprised to find the 12 point rod bolts in it. The rebuild Tage said 6-1-98.
Did they start replacing the rod bolts back then?
Well mine was built/rebuilt in 91, or that was the date on the rod bearings. I did not have a rebuild tag on the engine and I have a standard crank.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes me wonder if maybe wildchild467 has a Y block and may have used Z liners. It would be a loose fit. It would seem like the sleeve would expand and give lots of blowby . Has anybody else ran into this, or have experience with it?
The liners that came out were Z liners and the ones that went in were Z liners. Good thinking though!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I installed the LDS rocker arm it had me a bit concerned when I rolled the engine over. The rocker compressed the intake valve all the way down. The valve spring was almost fully collapsed!! I did a test run with the only the rockers install in a ldt configuration and I went from 1100 egt to 900 egt.
Do you have pictures of the LDT rocker arms and the LDS rocker arms? I adjusted the valves on and LDS engine and they were the same part number stamped on them as the ones on my LDT.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My update is the truck is all together and sitting in my driveway. Everything is put together, fuel lines flushed with diesel and the tank is about half full. I still have not fired the engine. All I need to do is flip the switch and hit the red button. I was hoping I could use that dyno but the dyno is currently being used and will be for at least a couple weeks. not sure if I should just take it out on the road to break it in or what. Its been sitting in my driveway a couple days now.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wildchild467 gives us the same treatment as our favourite tv show, where you are all primed for a spectacular season finale....and they play three weeks of re-runs before that!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks