• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piston Rings Worn Out, Time for a Rebuild

74M35A2

I feel like you'd be cutting a hole in a new pair of jeans to patch a hole in an old pair. If it aint broke, don't fix it. I was following this thread for quite some time until maybe the last 8 pages. Did I miss a post? Did you find out, without a doubt, what was wrong with the current engine? If not, then that's ALL the more reason to leave this one alone. I think you deserve more time behind the wheel and less time behind the wrench at this point.BTW, your name came up at RC this weekend. It's been quite a while. I hope life is good for you in MI. Mikey
Cause of excessive crankcase pressure was never discovered. I second your take, leave this one alone. Life is good for him in MI. He has a good paying job, nice house, and you should see what he is sleeping next to every night in his bed.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel like you'd be cutting a hole in a new pair of jeans to patch a hole in an old pair.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I was following this thread for quite some time until maybe the last 8 pages. Did I miss a post? Did you find out, without a doubt, what was wrong with the current engine? If not, then that's ALL the more reason to leave this one alone. I think you deserve more time behind the wheel and less time behind the wrench at this point.

BTW, your name came up at RC this weekend. It's been quite a while. I hope life is good for you in MI.

Mikey
I agree with the if its not broke part with the exception of the head gaskets. Head gaskets were a weak link in these and I would rather put a new set on so it does not fail me sometime on the road and I have to fix it again. I have the time now and its early in the season. Rather do the stuff I need to do now and be done with it.

The problem with the old engine was blowby. I was never able to get the LDS Piston Kits to seal up. Hindsight, it would be better to put new rings on old pistons than buy the new "LDS Piston Kits". I don't think the heads were the problem. I DO NEED MORE TIME BEHIND THE WHEEL AND NOT BEHIND THE WRENCH! haha! This truck has been bothering me for well over a year now. Im ready to have it running the way it should be and having fun with it.

I miss all your guys at RC... that was an amazing rally! I can come up to you guys 6 months later and still talk like we left off just yesterday. A great group of guys! That is still the best offroad park I have ever been to. Trail riding is the best!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my heads back from the shop today. It was $430 to get them cleaned, checked for cracks, surfaced, valve job and new guides installed. Will start getting the engine back together tomorrow.
That is a good price! When I looked at my old heads and all the parts, I found it would have been cheaper to get new heads. I just looked at the valves myself and determined I needed new ones because they were worn along with the guides. I'm glad yours worked out. I still have my old heads, so maybe they can be saved.

Another Ahab

Wildchild467;1856431[COLOR=#daa520 said:
[/COLOR]]I want to upload more pictures of my engine but it wont let me upload them for some reason. :?
You need to steam clean the block first:

- The site doesn't allow any dirty pictures.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I recall Saturday I loaded that thing in the bottom half of an engine can, just start it up in the can. ;-)

74M35A2

That's what I also suggested, but the flywheel is missing. All other parts he can easily pull from his truck and do a test fire (injection pump and lines). But by the time you pull the flywheel out of his truck, the engine is nearly out at that point anyway. Anybody have a flywheel they can loan? I told him to ask GR while he was there, and not sure if that happened.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still need to pull my injection pump off and install it on the other engine. It will be a lot easier to do when its in the can vs in the truck. I did that once and it was not ergonomically friendly.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I never even thought about it, i probably had a flywheel from LDS427 in the barn. I'd love for you to put your new heads one the motor you got from me, to see if they were the issue of the piston rings not seating, but thats a lot of work!

74M35A2

Not really. He has done it so frequently in the past few months that he knows the torque sequence and values nearly by memory. Looks like he is talking about re-ringing this engine, so here we go again..... Are 120 page threads allowed?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never even thought about it, i probably had a flywheel from LDS427 in the barn. I'd love for you to put your new heads one the motor you got from me, to see if they were the issue of the piston rings not seating, but thats a lot of work!
I can do this stuff in my sleep I think. I have done it so many times. Im not scared to do them any more. I pretty know what tools I need and I get to work. Its tough because I have all the parts to put NOS heads on it with new rings and not cost me much or anything. Still debating what I should do. If I should do it in frame or do all the work on the car trailer that the engine is sitting on now. Decisions decisions.