• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piston Rings Worn Out, Time for a Rebuild

74M35A2

We all say don't touch it. But, it is also fun to armchair quarterback the game. Bring my car trailer up to my work tonight after 9p, we'll forklift the GR LDT engine and cradle out of the can, and set it back down on the open center trailer and pressure wash it. That will allow you to do whatever you want with the oil pan, rods, heads, sleeves, rings, nothing, or whatever's, back at your house with it next to your truck. Then when you are happy and can go no further playing with everything, we'll tow your 35 back up to my work again with my 9, and forklift swap the engines in and out of your truck. If you have the IP on it by then, bring your radiator, and you should be able to drive it home from there.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After what you've been through with the first engine, I would have those NOS heads checked for cracks, leaks and flatness. I worked in an automotive production shop. You would be amazed at some of the crap that goes out the door. If the guy on the assembly line is ha ING a bad day, he/she will let bad parts get shipped. Depending on the quality agreement, maybe 1 in 100 heads are inspected for quality conformance.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After what you've been through with the first engine, I would have those NOS heads checked for cracks, leaks and flatness. I worked in an automotive production shop. You would be amazed at some of the crap that goes out the door. If the guy on the assembly line is ha ING a bad day, he/she will let bad parts get shipped. Depending on the quality agreement, maybe 1 in 100 heads are inspected for quality conformance.
How much does it usually cost to have the heads flattened if they are rough? Is it something that can be done in the field or does it need some whiz-bang piece of tech with laser pointers and computerized servos? :-?

o1951

How much does it usually cost to have the heads flattened if they are rough? Is it something that can be done in the field or does it need some whiz-bang piece of tech with laser pointers and computerized servos? :-?
You can do it in the field - I have. Need big flat files, plate glass, roll of emery cloth, bluing, etc. YOU DO NOT WANT TO tho- takes a lot of time and effort. Better to pay a few bucks and have them surface ground, unless you are really in the field and there is no machine shop around.

When doing in vehicle rebuilds, I frequently did that to true up blocks that needed resurfacing.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is true, it can be done if you have no other means of fixing it. Can also turn your crank and bore your cylinders in the field. It just depends on your skill level and how much time you have to spend.

rustystud

You can do it in the field - I have. Need big flat files, plate glass, roll of emery cloth, bluing, etc. YOU DO NOT WANT TO tho- takes a lot of time and effort. Better to pay a few bucks and have them surface ground, unless you are really in the field and there is no machine shop around.

When doing in vehicle rebuilds, I frequently did that to true up blocks that needed resurfacing.
That's really going back to "old school" . I had to do that to pass my apprenticeship tests, but never in real life.

shenkmen

I miss all your guys at RC... that was an amazing rally! I can come up to you guys 6 months later and still talk like we left off just yesterday. A great group of guys! That is still the best offroad park I have ever been to. Trail riding is the best!
Maybe you'll have your Deuce running before the fall RC event and make the trip with Frantic from Illinois. :)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several years ago, when I purchased my first Deuce, o ordered a parts book / manual from Memphis Equipment.
I used this book today for the head stud torque value, sequence and pattern. Reading the note at the bottom, it said to run the truck for 4 hours, then retorque the heads.
Run the truck as hard as you can for 2 hours and retorque again.
It says to retorque while engine is hot.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back when I ordered piston rings (for the original LDT Style Pistons) from Eastern Surplus, I never looked over all the piston rings they sent me. 4 of the piston rings sets were in heat sealed packaging with no numbers on them whatsoever. The other to sets were wrapped up in glad wrap, like the same stuff you use when you make a sandwitch... again, with no par numbers. After further review of them last night when I was about to put them in the engine, I noticed all of the piston rings did not match. 2 compression piston rings were different from all the others.

As you may know, the LDT piston rings have 3 compression rings and one oil ring. Now, the top two rings are the same and the 3rd compression ring is a little different. That being said, I had 10 matching compression rings and 2 that did not match.

I called Eastern Surplus to inform them of the issue that not all of the piston rings match. As you can see in the picture, two of them are a different color and say "Top" on the piston ring, instead of like the others which only have a dot to indicate the top. This concerns me because all of the work I went though with these engines trying to get them right, I want to have all of the same piston rings. The website never told me they would not all match and the pictures all showed me piston rings like I received for 5 cylinders, one cylinder being not matching. Now, being that there were no part numbers, this concerns me. I think you all understand.

HERE IS THE KICKER:

When I called Eastern Surplus, they said they were the last of the piston rings they have and they will not be getting any more in stock. Chris at Eastern Surplus said I can send the rings back and receive $60 store credit OR give me a refund of the $60 and charge me a 30% restocking fee! He said I should know how surplus works and that they all may not be from the same manufacturer. WHAT CRAP IS THAT? They send me parts that do not all match, is not called out in the description and is not representative of what is in the pictures? I sent him and email and he is going to see if he is going to find some from a supplier but I doubt he will. He was telling me before that they do not have any more piston rings and that a store credit or a refund and getting charged 30% was the only options. What a bunch of crooks!

What I received:

(only showing the rings that would be on the top two groves of the pistons which is a total of 12 per engine)
Notice the two piston rings on the right are dark in color than the pile of 10 piston rings to the left.

Eastern Surplus Piston Rings.jpg

What Eastern Surplus shows on their website:

Eastern Surplus Piston Rings 3.jpgEastern Surplus Piston Rings 2.jpgEastern Surplus Piston Rings 1.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
We should start a "worthless vendor" list and add it to the stickeys.

I have known not to buy from Eastern or TnJ Murry for a while now.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We should start a "worthless vendor" list and add it to the stickeys.

I have known not to buy from Eastern or TnJ Murry for a while now.
This is a great idea. It would help protect members from dealing with dishonest venders, and save us Time, Money and aggravation. It would also put pressure on venders to improve. Vote with your dollars.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still working with them so if they make it right, I will give credit where it is due. That is only fair. As of right now, Eastern Surplus is in the dog house.

74M35A2

The 2 different rings pictured are the same dimensions and same chrome plating (?), but the base material is definitely a different color, so it was best to pause here until corrected. Did you guys see that new hat in the ring pic I bought him for his birthday yesterday? Plus a valve spring compressor, piston ring compressor, and leak down gauge. Figured they may be useful in his future... Happy Birthday T-Bone !!!!

Last edited: