• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piston Rings Worn Out, Time for a Rebuild

74M35A2

He knows. It is a 1987 engine, so like 29 years old. It looked good on tear down. It would have been fine, but he wigged out on seeing original head gaskets and said those are going to leave him walking. Well, when he pulled the heads those gaskets were so adhered on that he had to make a T handle with chains to lift them off and break free. Looked like smooth diesel combustion across all 6 cylinders. Very little carbon build up. No cracked rings, bearings and cylinders looked good. It probably would have been fine, but here we are chasing down rings again...

74M35A2

I would have started it in the crate and let it warm up. If it ran seemingly well, stuff it in and done. Save the rebuild parts for when it is really worn out. Each their own.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With head gaskets, i thought with the amount of miles I put on it, I want the upgraded ones. Since i was that far, pulling pistons is easy. Plus I had the rings but I later found out that the rings were not a complete set with one cylinder being different from the others. I am still waiting on Eastern Surplus to get me a matching set that they described on their site.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got an email from Steve who is the General Manager at Eastern Surplus who said that their description and part numbers on their site are correct when they are clearly not even when I corrected them with the TM. If the description is correct that it fits LDT pistons as well as LDS pistons, then tell me why they only show 4 rings when an LDS piston takes 5 rings? That’s right, they don’t know what they are selling. He clearly did not understand any of the emails that I sent them.

Early in the email chain Chris at Eastern had a guy pull apart an LDS piston kit and then tell me how my rings are supposed to go on my piston. The problem is he was looking at a 3 ring “New Style LDS Piston” when I clearly told him I have 4 rings on my piston.

I also told them that there is only 4 rings on my original LDT piston and 5 rings on an original LDS piston. The new style “LDS Piston Kits” that are part number 57K1318 only have 3 rings total. So we are talking about 3 totally different pistons! The rings on the 3 groove LDS pistons are not compatible with any other ring on the original LDT or original LDS piston, period. That being said, the ring kit they have only fits the LDT piston, supposedly. When you get the rings be prepared to not have them in any military packaging and not have any part numbers on the package at all. They tell me they are surplus but may not be from all of the same supplier and that is why the one set was different.

They still insist that they are fine to use even though that they do not all match. Who in their right mind builds an engine with piston rings that do not match?

So in a nut shell I’ll paraphrase what is going on:

Eastern surplus: ”yes, we know that they did not all match, did not come labeled with any part numbers but they are all the same and that is what you ordered. We pulled a piston off the shelf that had 3 rings and told you that the first compression ring is the light colored ring, the second compression ring is the darker one, and the third one is the oil ring. We know the picture you sent us shows 10 light colored compression rings and only 2 dark compression rings but somehow the kit must be right because we say so. We also know 2 weeks after you bought our rings that you called trying to get piston rings for the 3 groove LDS pistons which we think are the same even though you told us they are not.

We would rather get your money and well parts that are not accurately described. If its not what you ordered we will use the excuse that it’s the surplus market and you should understand different manufacturers might make parts differently. So shut up, I don’t care to educate myself in the products I sell. Ignorance is bliss, this matter is now closed and thank you for your business. ”

Me: “I gave you all of the part numbers of each piston ring on the LDT piston, I explain to you the 3 different types of Multifuel Pistons, I explain to you that the rings I ordered I expected them to be the same and will not accept a set with 2 oddball rings that do not have the same finish or markings on them like the others. No mechanic would put an engine together with unknown rings that did not match. Either send me matching rings or send me a shipping label to refund all of my money because you sent me parts that are not complete and not usable.”

I would never give Eastern Surplus a good review now. Everybody makes mistakes, yes. It's life... but when somebody tried to deceive a customer by trying to tell them they are good when they are clearly not, that is just wrong. They never called me to inform me that what I ordered is not all the same and instead just sent them anyway hoping I wouldn't say anything. The tell me I can send them back and either get my money in store credit or receive a refund and have to pay a 30% restocking fee. Why should somebody be charged a restocking fee when they send back parts that the supplier knew were not correct? There are plenty of other vendors out there that are good businessmen and do what is fair. I'm not looking for anything other than fair here, not looking for something for nothing, only receive what I order. Simple. Steve, Chris and Dave at Eastern Surplus are not good people. I have heard stories about them and this confirms it. If they change their ways and make this transaction right, then I will retract this comment. Until then, take your business somewhere else because they are not good people and everybody else has cheaper prices, guaranteed. Eastern Surplus are known to be the most expensive and there is absolutely no benefit of doing business with them unless you like burning money and being treated like dirt.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do I sense a petition brewing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
They advertise on this site and this is how they treat their customers? I say boot them out for a month and kick user name "Country" (Dave) off the board too. Dave is the guy that makes posts here telling people in the parts wanted adds that he has the parts they are looking for but will cost them an arm and a leg. I just hope people are smart enough to not buy from those guys and parts can be had a lot cheaper through other vendors. A little probation would do them good to learn how to play nice.

Last edited:

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. I will not buy anything from them. I've only Baugh parts from a few venders , Memphis Equipment, WB parts, Jatonka, I have good experiences with them. I purchased a rebuilt transmission from Memphis Equipment, after 20 mile drive the transmission was boiling gear oil and squealing. Memphis Equipment took good care of me on that, they shipped me another transmission and paid for freight both ways.

o1951

I agree. I will not buy anything from them. I've only Baugh parts from a few venders , Memphis Equipment, WB parts, Jatonka, I have good experiences with them. I purchased a rebuilt transmission from Memphis Equipment, after 20 mile drive the transmission was boiling gear oil and squealing. Memphis Equipment took good care of me on that, they shipped me another transmission and paid for freight both ways.
Yeah, but you had to do the work twice. If you had a shop do it, you would get 2 bills since they RR 2 trans..

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My project is coming along well. Have the new sleeves, pistons, LDS pump, LDS intake rockers. Just need to finish it up and make fire.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They advertise on this site and this is how they treat their customers? I say boot them out for a month and kick user name "Country" (Dave) off the board too. Dave is the guy that makes posts here telling people in the parts wanted adds that he has the parts they are looking for but will cost them an arm and a leg. I just hope people are smart enough to not buy from those guys and parts can be had a lot cheaper through other vendors. A little probation would do them good to learn how to play nice.
Sorry to hear of the grief they are giving you. I doubt anything will happen as its obvious the vendors(not all of them) have been given free range to spam the he!! out of our board. Its a shame they can spam our forum with no re-guard to their business practices.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My project is coming along well. Have the new sleeves, pistons, LDS pump, LDS intake rockers. Just need to finish it up and make fire.
You have the new style LDS pistons with 2 compression rings and one oil ring, right? I hope you had better luck than I did. I wish i was there to see you fire it, test drive and look for blowby. I would also do a leak down test on your engine. It just bugs me with all the work I did, I couldn't get my pistons to seal up. Do you still have your old pistons?

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have the new style LDS pistons with 2 compression rings and one oil ring, right? I hope you had better luck than I did. I wish i was there to see you fire it, test drive and look for blowby. I would also do a leak down test on your engine. It just bugs me with all the work I did, I couldn't get my pistons to seal up. Do you still have your old pistons?
Yes, I installed LDS sleeve and piston kit. The Pistons have 2 compression rings and one oil ring. Have also put a rebuilt LDS injector pump and LDS intake rockers. I'm going to use the John Deere break-in oil, I ordered it yesterday.
I'll keep the progress posted.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I've got my fingers crossed. I had my heads rebuilt and surfaced also. I checked the deck height from the top of my cylinder sleeves to the deck, the largest deviation I had was 0.001
0.002 is the limit, so it should seal up good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks