• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pitmaster T Explores - The MKT

pitmaster t

Walls and screens sets consist of three different lengths of sections. The long side ones have 15 clips on the top, and there should be two of them, the intermediate end walls (again two each) with the words "Fire Exit" have seven clips on the top, and the final two in each set have five clips on the top. Hope this helps to identify them for you. BTW, the 'fire exit' sign should wind up in the middle of the end wall when installed correctly.
Ahhhhh- okay... I have nothing but canvas cold weather covers that have "fire Exit" on it.

I will think to take a look at the clips.

To you directly.... I loved your post on the $37 covers you use. I plan on buying some. As I sat and drank water I started noting all the sharp edges that will tear that tarp... I am thinking of some wooden covers made of 1x3s and painted green that might cover those areas to protect the tarp. Any thoughts?

pitmaster t

The three shelves are the auxiliary baking set. Heavy steel piece goes in the bottom of the M-59 where the pot rack rides, sheet with chains hangs from the four tabs that you can see with the hinged top opened (longer part to the back). This is the sheet you actually place the flat pans on to bake, and the one with the cutouts in it goes on the top between the tabs - it's to support the pan that you are 'proofing' (letting the yeast rise the biscuits/bread) before it's baked. The baking set is not part of the BII for the M-59 or the MKT, so you lucked out on them!

I distinguish the wall/screen sections by the number of clips they have along the top (15, 7, and 5) and I call them long, intermediate and short. Do you have any of the wall standouts (a stainless pole about 4 feet long with a smaller tip) - there should be 8 of them to hold the bottoms of the side walls out in rainy weather to let air into the MKT with the screens inside (and clipped to the bottom) to discourage flying insects from adding to the meal.
Re: the Baking set. 0

Yes I read that in the manual. Made biscuits yesterday. Haven't talked to Dick yet for obvious reasons (working on this). I have one set so I am thankful you have told me MKTs came with only one set. Its a shame though. I read in the M59 manual each range comes with a set. So I am in need of another set. I also notice in that famous video where the soldiers were cooking, they use that top piece as a diffuser on one of the main burners.

I didn't think of proofing... I baked the sheet of biscuits on the top. They were fine...especially after adding my "Spanish Castle Magic" I am famous for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJiY3KUU9Cs&list=PL-FMdthfYNpTHZUi1NlE6ps_jMfBVw5UD

Re: The poles...

Yes, I have them, Set it up like that last night. I have three extra as well.

I will be cutting out the baffles they put in the three cabinets below the griddle side so that I can place TONS of long things in there like the manual for the 99s say. It can hold the griddle splash guards, those poles, and the lights.

pitmaster t

Depending on the unit, MKT's could be equipped with double the BII of food, drink, water containers and utensils. This is because they were supporting many platoon or smaller units scattered over a dispersed area. They cooked the food in a central place and then sent one cook or one KP out to the outposts to actually serve the meals. They could be serving seven or eight remote locations plus the central group, and would need utensils enough to use all at the same time. That's my guess! (Two food - one hot, one cold; two drink, and one water can, plus utensils and consumables/condiments per stop)
This makes sense. I wish I had not skimped on the Cambros. I use upright cambros. I only got three. I could have had all 8 but he was selling them at 75 a piece.

DID YOU SEE I HAVE THE ICE DIVIDER? lol

pitmaster t

Also open to ideas on some safety issues. I just bought the Plexiglas for the sneeze guards I can hang in front of the line should I serve that way but mostly for the griddle service.

One plan is for the customer to enter and exit on the same side, having to go around. Not sure though. I can do anything.

What I need to really do is make those rail bars safer. They fall out pretty easy. And I also not want kids plopping out under that netting. The first thing that came to mind is a strong Volleyball Net. I'm thinking I could fashion some kind of tension on the top of the net (horizontally) in order to bring the poles together so that they don't fall out, Then along the top with some kind of hooks also to tie to the rail poles and hooks again (similar to the bungee strings and hooks) along the bottom.

LOL Or.... I can place air mattresses along the base of the whole thing.

So good sirs... with all the great comments, well wishes and ideas and advice... I will give you a video from my station.

Now I am aware this is not a BBQ Forum... but it is Military... and nothing says military like a 55 gallon drum.... so here is my famous "Screwdriver" smoker that burns 20+ hours on one load of charcoal without having to even be awake to make the BBQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_tW4xxFP0E

I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING SO PLEASE DO NOT VIEW THIS AS AN ADVERTISEMENT.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In reference to serving tools (utensils), someone posted up recently looking for some if you decide to part with too many!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need some more Cambros let me know. I've got both the food and drink units a lot more reasonable than that.

pitmaster t

Gerry.jpg

My Dad passed in 1995. He was always a piddler. A shop teacher, loved Corvairs, had an AC business on the side. By the end of his life he lost that spark and very little interested him. When he died, at that point of my life, I did not piddle and tinker like I do now. I wish I had as we would have had a great time.

When he did die I took his stuff. Most of it I packed into Roughneck containers. Initially it was too painful to sort. I lugged it around the country every time I moved; to Tennessee, to Connecticut, and back to Texas. Some things recently I had to let go of... his truck I went with him to buy... worst was the Generator his brother "mailed" him in the 1950s when he was in Korea. That one an ex girlfriend sold. LOL

As I did my BBQ biz, built pits, Google Meat Mama 300 and Funkotorium) I could always hear him. I would always think... boy he would have really been interested in doing this with me. All successes were a little bittersweet.

These three Gerry cans I had been offered money for forever. I always kept them together - thinking I would need then at one point. They of course were his.

Now I know what y'all say about leaving these on and I will remove them - but it was nice to see part of my father on this rig. I cannot wait to wire them off and paint them up. They also represent about 36 hours or so of running fuel. LOL

I am glad to have met you all. You guys have enriched my life.

Happy Father's Day to my old man, yours... and to all the fathers out there.

280972_2202528471635_4055552_o.jpg

Don Thomas, Sr. with his Collins 74A and other Radio gear - about 1968.