• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pivoting winch head ideas?

res0wc18

Yes I've heard. I'm more envisioning something that could be a retrofit, or allow other vehicles to be able to do so.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

dmetalmiki

Some of those adaptors seen expensive for what (ARE?) you trying to achieve.
My M62 has side rollers. And if the pull is 'heavy' to the side I use Blocks at 2:1. (Or..More!).

red

The rear winch on the wreckers is setup for 90 degree pulls from either side. Could build a similar sized roller setup on the front bumper combined with a level wind

res0wc18

The rear winch on the wreckers is setup for 90 degree pulls from either side. Could build a similar sized roller setup on the front bumper combined with a level wind
Do you have good reference info/photos?

My winch roller has a 4 way roller on it right now but I would never dream of pulling something at 90 degrees of the winch centerline. The links provided show that it would put it out a few inches and have the ability to pivot around to keep the stress at a minimum.

red

Do you have good reference info/photos?

My winch roller has a 4 way roller on it right now but I would never dream of pulling something at 90 degrees of the winch centerline. The links provided show that it would put it out a few inches and have the ability to pivot around to keep the stress at a minimum.

Check out the wrecker operation TM's, it gives the specifics. Might be just 160-170 degree fleet angle on the rear winch but it is very wide.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of something similar to what was posted above. Make rollers out of 4” or larger schedule 40 or 80. Weld or bolt, appropriate sized mounting tabs or ears to bumper, and there you go. I say 4” because I don’t like the thought of running a cable over a small radius bend.

The roller would have to sit out slightly in front of your fairlead side roller to take all the weight of the 90 degree pull.

I dont know your winch setup, so it’s hard to design, but, like the picture link above, that’s all you really need is a beefed up fairlead side rollers.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Use a old small dragline fairlead, it has rollers, sheaves and it swivels so the load is ALWAYS on the sheaves, a small one would fit right in front of the winch, it is designed for a massive loading, a LOT more then your winch and frame can handle.

res0wc18

All good comments. This will clear things up. I replaced the factory PTO winch with an M18000 warn. I built it with a 2" reciever in front.

red

Not sure why you stepped down in winch size and power but ok....

With the loss of the level wind it's going to take more stand off distance between the rollers and the winch to get it too spool onto the winch right, a few feet of distance. Figure on the new bigger rollers (or that first pivot linked to) sitting about 3ft in front of the bumper assuming the new winch is mounted where the stock pto winch was (total distance about 4-5ft). The size of the rollers would ideally be the same size as a shiv for that diameter of cable.

res0wc18

Yes it is an m715. Removed the pto winch as it was a resto mod. Put it in the five ton forum because this was the highest chance of success since this is where the wreckers are.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is an m715. Removed the pto winch as it was a resto mod. Put it in the five ton forum because this was the highest chance of success since this is where the wreckers are.

Ok , I had the same thoughts RED did with post #12 on going to a smaller winch . That winch should drag a M715 around alright , but on a 5 ton I think it would fail fairly quick.

Last edited:

res0wc18

Yup. It is the same winch that almost everyone uses in much much larger trucks and tow trucks.

These M18000 winches are very powerful. I had this same winch on my bobbed 5 tons with no issue.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You know by putting your question in the 5t forum, members gave you a 5t answer which WASTED members time working on a answer for you that would NEVER WORK on your truck, this is WHY we have different forums for different trucks.

Good catch Porky

red

Ok , I had the same thoughts RED did with post #12 on going to a smaller winch . That winch should drag a M715 around alright , but on a 5 ton I think it would fail fairly quick.
Yea, it does make a big difference learning that the truck weighs less than 1/6th of the weight. Roughly 6k pound m715 vs 40k pound wrecker.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good comments. This will clear things up. I replaced the factory PTO winch with an M18000 warn. I built it with a 2" reciever in front.
An L-shaped leg mounted in the 2" receiver and a snatch block will solve your problem. Will do everything you're wanting, is simple to make and is easily removable. I'd use 2" solid square stock for the leg though.

20171212_160554.jpg

20171212_160602.jpg

Before I added the fairlead bracket to the bumper, my fairlead was mounted directly to the winch. My side pull rigging is a little different now due to the bracket but the same concept applies. My front shackles are farther in front of my winch than your shackles are. I used a shoulder lifting eye with a 1" diameter shank in the shackle mount opposite of the side I was pulling. A short piece of chain was used to center a snatch block in front of the drum. I didn't like side loading the shackle so the lifting eye was used.

You can create the same thing with the leg and block. The leg just serves as an attachment for the block and is laid horizontal and pointing opposite of the pull. Since the block is not fixed, it will allow for the range of movement you need for side pulls.

Not sure why you stepped down in winch size and power but ok....
A step down in capacity...maybe a little. There are plenty of benefits to these winches that make up for that though. Been hashed out repeatedly already.

but on a 5 ton I think it would fail fairly quick.
How so? I've had mine for about 2 years now and use it regularly. My M923 consistently weighs 27,300 due to everything I've added and everything that's stowed on the truck. A single line pull will drag my truck with all 4 rear wheels locked on flat ground. A 2 part line requires using a rear anchor to hold the truck in place because it will drag all 6 wheels. Some custom field chocks are in the works for this reason.

This summer I pulled 17 stumps in my back yard that ranged from 7" to 13" in diameter in roughly 3 hours. The only problem was keeping the truck in place. Not the first overload, failure or even drained batteries.

It was used heavily during the clean-up after the hurricane in Florida due to the massive amount of trees we lost in Georgia. It regularly pulls whole trees up the steep creek banks on our property so they can be attached directly to the truck and drug home for firewood.

I'm not sure I can ask anything more of mine and be disappointed. You have experience with these winches that suggests otherwise?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks