• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pix of my Super Singles

yorkgulch

wheels and tires

The wheels and tires look great. You mentioned 24.5 wheels did you actually find an application that the 24.5's come off of? So they could be located in a junk yard? I still want to go as tall as I can. Hopefully on a tubless rim.
Craig

DrFoster

It will be healed. Otherwise go see your PCP and get some antibiotics. You'll need to take them about 3 days prior to the trip in order to be "healed" enough to go, but always follow up with the rest of the 10 day course.

Be sure to watch for being dizzy (more than you normally are), hearing loss, a pain in your mastiod process, pain when pullling at your ear lobe, or yellow / green discharge through your eustachian tube into your inner nasal cavities. Those are KEY warning signs that the virus is spreading and needs to be dealt with right away.

WHEW way to get off topic! I'm in the running to win this year's awards for most useless post, most confused post, and furthest off topic! Please vote for me! :)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
I just can't adjust to the singles and skinny tires yet.

Jim, your truck is 100% OK but if you allow for some (simple) additional mods we can build a special version for Kenneth...

Actually my next project deuce will have 6" wider axles, front and rears!

Gerhard

Attachments

DrFoster

What are the mods? That looks cool too. (And, yes I know I said "looks" because sometimes that is just as good as function)

Anyhow, now that I think of it, are there any issues with having off-track tires? With singles on, don't the rears have a smaller track width than the steers?

Lax

Okay,
How about this then? Would duelys with good chains be better in snow and mud then the Super Singles with chains. Does anyone have actual experiance in this? I figure Super Singles are better in the snow but the duelys with chains might be better in the mud because they float a little. Am I wrong? I look forward to hearing from someone with actual experiance. Thanks guys. :?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lax, I used chains on my duals before going to singles. The chains were made for duals, they were not just installed on the outer wheels.
The traction is great, but it did make it hard to make turns on slippery ground, the truck kept going straight in some turns. Single rear tires is better here in that the steering is more responsive.
In snow (about a foot deep) with chains on the duals, I sometimes lost track of where my front tires were pointing, the rear traction made the truck go straight with the front tires "snowplowing".
With singles all tires track. With duals there are 3 different tracks. Duals tend to collect mud and snow between them.
I never got stuck with any of the set-ups, but recommend singles for several reasons; more ground clearance, front and rear tires track, 1100 NDCC's are 12 ply, easier to install chains, more clearance between tires and leaf springs, lighter weight, narrower bed possible, front tires no longer over loaded (they were close to overloaded with winch and crane) and higher top speed.
The one drawback is the need to carry a spare, didn't need to with duals.
With chains, there is no need to air down off road, as a matter of fact, don't, the tires may get damaged.

Lax

Craintruck,
That is great information. Just what I was looking for. Thank you. Now if I can just get over how whimpy Super Singles look I should be okay. Sounds like singles with chains all around might be a pretty good set up. Thanks again! :D

FSBruva

DR Foster....

Without the requisite hub flip, then the rears would have a narrower track.... but once flipped, the rear hubs look exactly like the fronts = same track width.

Matt

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DrFoster said:
What are the mods? That looks cool too.
Not so simple in the real world. But take a picture, open with Windows Paint and let your imagination run free...

Same track front and rear: the experts (German Allrad LKW Forum. i.e.) concur that having all wheels from one side following the same track is best for deep sand, snow and mud driving.

About the looks I’m with you, why not try to keep form and function together.
Even with 14” wide super singles on 11” wheels our M35 back ends still do look “a little funny” like RDD said. Cargo bed is 8 ft wide but outside to outside of tires is only 7 ft. See images below.

So my plan is to “stretch” all 3 axle housings by 6 inches and build custom axle shafts. I think it not only would “look” better but also gain back some of the original 10 wheel stability. Front fenders, headlamps and grille/brush guard could also be extended about 2” to each side to make room for a wider radiator!

And so on, it never ends!

Gerhard

Attachments

rdixiemiller

Of course, you can narrow down a deuce bed as well.......
Easier and cheaper than axle mods, I would think. The bed would be closer to cab width as well. That would help the looks as well.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard,

I love your garage.

Yes, it's true. I have garage envy. The reason is I've only got a car port on the home we've owned since 1988. Well, us and our credit union.

And I doubt I could get a 'variance' to actually build the garage I want. So I just leave it alone and do outside maintenance. It's good for the soul I've been told.

While I do like your idea about a bit wider track, you are obviously going to have to stretch the front track as well as the rear.

And Robert (rdixiemiller) does have a good suggestion. It would be WAY easier (read cheaper) to modify the width of the bed than extending the axles. Plus if you have problem with one of your 'extended' axles, finding parts WILL be a mother when you are 'out on the road'.

But I do like the idea. Keep us all informed.

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pipeline bed is 85 inches wide without the ginpoles and lines up with the front fenders.

Robert (RDM), what about making wheel spacers a' la CJ-7 type off road mods (my son has them for his)? Shouldn't be that difficult to make 3" wide spacers for a 6 inch wider track.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey gang, isn't the M135 bed narrower than the regular deuce bed? Any idea how much? I don't have any research material on these old relics. Hey Bjorn, the truck at the yard where we went too llok at my M756A2 had the GMC with the M135 wheels. Did that truck have a regular bed or the M135 bed? I can't recall at all.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Hey gang, isn't the M135 bed narrower than the regular deuce bed? Any idea how much? I don't have any research material on these old relics. Hey Bjorn, the truck at the yard where we went too llok at my M756A2 had the GMC with the M135 wheels. Did that truck have a regular bed or the M135 bed? I can't recall at all.
Hah! You asking me, I feel good about remembering my name when I first wake up in the morning. :)
The bed should be narrower, since some of the first deuces were made with singles, which was recognized as the better config for off-road from day one, I'm sure.

Gerhard brings up the stability issue, here is my take on it: Image below.
The inclinometer comes from West Marine (1-800-937-8895), about $20.

There are MV's equipped with inclinometers, like the SEE's, so it's not totally odd-ball.

Attachments

FSBruva

kenny-

Right on the money... the M34 and the M135 beds are narrower (88") than the standard bed (96"). This allows them to be about the same width as the running boards, and not look so goofy when running singles. I am sure the 5~7 degrees lost in stability would be the bane of other folks' existence... but I hope to never get close to 25 degrees of roll, loaded or not. If you want the stability of duals, just pull the inner dual off! And if you want the same track width, flip the FRONT hubs, and reverse your front wheels! How about that for a frankenstein!

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, the guy at M-Trucking has an M135. It has the 135 wheels and I think the 135 bed. The truck is in Lake City FL and is very much for sale. Anyone wanting said stuff, let me know.

rdixiemiller

Making wheel spacers would be simple enough. A piece of 3" plate, turned and bored. 12 holes, 6 for recessed lug nuts, 6 for studs.
You can also cut the wheel centers out and move them 3 inches back and weld them back in.
There are any number of ways to change the look of the rear of the deuce. I personally like the idea of narrowing the rear body. That would take a day of cutting, a day of welding, and a day to get it all painted. If you can find an M34/M135 rear body, that is even quicker and easier.

Katch1

I also feel like the width looks wrong on singles too mich time seeing them with duals. That being said I'd probobly go m-34 bed just out of ease to do, second narrow stock bed , third wheel spacers, lastly widen axle assemblys. sorry I'm a little lazy. But I think they look o.k. with anything wider than a 12.5, the 11.00 singles don't do in a single config. in the rear, at least for me

spicergear

I specifically asked the chief editor of Four Wheeler Magazine that question about the chain quiestion. Whatever your tire comes with on it is IT. No chains or other traction adding devices. Cut tires are permitted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks