• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Planning a road trip/deuce purchase saturday help

Aknoll007

I'm planning on going to Eric Alspaughs place saturday and Rogers in london Ohio as well and picking the best deal and driving it back to detroit area. What tools should I bring, I know brake fluid and engine oil will be a good idea, but what else. Any help I would appreciate it.
Thinking on cargo #3 from miltrucks.com but will see what Roger has as well. Thanks for the help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both Eric and Roger have tons of stuff. Eric might have sold most of his stuff. Ask about anything else deuce they have. You might be suprised at some of the stuff laying around. I can't emphasize enough the importance of checking and carrying a supply of BFS. Buying DOT5 at NAPA is a humbling experience at seperating you from your cash. Call both and ask if either have any surplus brake fluid. Between now and saturday, read the -10 manual as much as you can. Get familiar with what it says. Some stuff won't make a bit of sense until you're sitting in the truck then it all comes together.

bomar76

I know Roger doesn't have any spare DOT 5 on hand, so be warned.

A really nice thing w/ Roger is he will sell parts to those who buy trucks from him (at least parts he has to spare), normally he doesn't sell parts to the general public....other than the items he has inventoried specifically for resale - bows, covers, etc.

bomar76

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dot 5 ONLY ...unless it has been flushed and changed...
Dot 5 is a silicone brake fluid that is not compatible w/ Dot 3.

DO NOT PUT DOT 3 IN IT!!!!

bomar76

While we are on the subject of fluids and such...you also must use a C rated engine oil.....the letter after the C isn't as important in a deuce, but the C is (C stands for compression ignition, S for spark)

I like Shell Rotella, some love Dello, I think last time we changed the deuce oil we used TSC Traveller.

Aknoll007

Thanks guys bringing some rotella and will have to get some dot 5. what size socket are the lugnuts just in case of a flat. Thanks

Ugg013

Aknoll007:

I 2nd on the ear protection and warm clothes! AutoZone also sells the DOT5, and at a decent price too. Also have some wet weather gear too, just in case (tis the season). :lol: One other very important tool, a cell phone.

Good Luck
Ugg 8)

Aknoll007

Well I got back saturday night with no problems, Thankfully. The truck made it the 250 miles no problem. The only thing I noticed was the tranfer case was hot after driving for a long period. Drove about 55 mph the whole way. I bought the truck from Eric heck of a nice guy, both him and his dad. The truck is cargo #3 on his web site.
I have this weird problem since buying the truck I can't stop smiling, and things have bothered me much since buying it either, I'm as mellow as a teenager at a grateful dead concert.
Tonight I'll check the gear oil in the transfer case. can I runs Synthetic in it or is it just a waste of money. Thanks.

Hookin1

Welcome to the duece owners CLUB :) . Now you find out just how nice your neighbors really are :lol:

Wipe that smile off your face SOLDIER, you think somethings funny