• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Planning a West Michigan recovery.

Heath_h49008

I'm looking at running down the west side of the state from Copemish to Kalamazoo on 31 to M89. I figure that will keep me in double lane 55 zones where I won't cause too many problems.

Anything I should be aware of? Anyone in the area if I run into trouble?

I will have a chase car, and I'm going to try to do this in the middle of the day on the 30th.

Thanks for any info,

Heath

Heath_h49008

Zero rust, but massively flaking paint (hence my thread on pressure-washer blasters and the build)

I checked the bumper numbers, and she was an airfield truck for a helo unit, so I have high hope for her maintenance quality. 1969, 3rd lot production, "C" turbo, airshift, plus a heaterkit I have to install, and a full set of new filters, jack and lug tools, and a couple spare tires.

The seller is a great guy who many other SS members have dealt with and who has kept her set aside for me for months after my finances exploded this spring.

I've done my research, read my TMs, have my tools/fluids and a chase Taurus/GF...

...but I'm as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs crossed with a kid 3 days before Christmas.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be in Muskegon at the same time. if there are problems call me.

Don

BTW, congratulations it's about time man...!

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Depending on what time I might call you just to shake your hand. I'll be rolling right through there.

Thanks guys, it's been a long time to bring her home.

67Beast

US 31 from Ludington south to Muskegon is all 70mph highway. Your best bet might be to run down M37 which would run you all the way down to Alpine Ave. in Grand Rapids. It's all two lane 55mph and might give you a more relaxed ride instead of tons of highway traffic. US 31 will have heavy traffic as it starts to near the holiday weekend as there are tons of tourist hot spots all along the US 31 corridor. On the 30th I'll be in our Fremont store location during the day which is close to bothh US 31 and M37 and could help out if yo run into problems around this area. And I live in Hart/Mears just off US 31 right near the Silver Lake Sand Dunes and will be home in the evening. I have a fair amount of extra parts for a deuce including a full set of 10 spare tires incase you have any tire problems. PM me and I'll send you my phone #.

pyro1955

Heath, As you know, I made a recovery from Copemish this spring, I ran 15 to 10, (which is a 70mph road) just stayed in the right lane, onto 75 to M46, never an issue, people passed me, but no issues, lots of waves and horns. In general the public love our trucks. I found it easier on the freeway than the surface streets only because there were no stops. Check everything twice, especially air pressure and take your time, she will make it. Glad to see you are finally getting her home.

Heath_h49008

I would love to just run 131, but I don't think I really want to put the deuce through the s-curves in GR on my first drive... or ever if I can help it. And if I have to stop-n-go, I would rather be in the smaller towns than around Alpine Ave. Everything from Muskegon down is glorified country roads, as I recall.

This will be a Thursday mid-day... hopefully the traffic on 31 will be light enough.

pyro1955

I understand being nervous, I had NEVER driven a deuce before I picked mine up, curves were not an issue, the initial hills were a challange as my truck had sat for a long time, likely over a year, stiff and would not go over 45 for about 20 miles, However, even though the brakes were great, i was more concerned about stop signs and lights than curves. I think I was just lucky, but my truck handled great, especially once everything started loosening up. It won't take very far before you are comfortable with her, just take your time and be safe.

4x4e350

If you decide to go down 131, I live and work right by there. Just South of Big Rapids. I could help later in the day, if you need it.
Good luck.

67Beast

Just throwing ideas out there. But I do know that US 31 will start to pick up with traffic on thursday, especially near the Silver Lake Sand Dunes as most people will start to arrive thursday so they can be in line friday morning to get the dune vouchers before they are all gone.

I know that I would rather drive a truck of unknown history and maintenance on back roads than a highway. If something were to go wrong I would rather be sitting on the side of a back road than watching traffic wizz by me at 70+ on the highway. By the time you make Grand Rapids you should know how the truck is doing and be comfortable enough to take the highway the rest of the way down to Kzoo.

Nothing against driving a deuce down the highway, as a matter of fact I drive mine up and down US 31 all the time. It's just that I have a lot of seat time in that truck and know and trust it.

Heath_h49008

I'm really torn.

I might try the M37 shot down to try to bypass GR to the west. I'm thinking downtown Grand Rapids won't be fun, and I'd rather not even be close to Division Ave in something that might break down... even armed.

131 is a straight shot... but the S curves I'm talking about for those unfamiliar with GR are a series of highway bridges and raised roadway interchanges in downtown Grand Rapids.... think about a roller coaster with traffic going 70-90mph and 6 lanes. It's not the turning that bothers me... it's the hills/bridges and being 20-40 mph slower than the surrounding insane drivers.

If not for Grand Rapids, I'd run 131 with a smile at 54mph.

I have one more day to pick a route.

When I recovered my deuce, I ran RTE-99 from Sacramento down to Southern California. Most of that highway cuts down the middle of central California's farmland and running 55 to 58 MPH in the right lane was comfortable and incident-free. I got lots of waves, a few horns and the best part is even with no license plate on the truck, (the previous owner had a personalized company plate he wanted to keep) to every LEO that passed me, it's like I was invisible. Everyone noticed me but the cops! When I drove past the National Guard armory down the street from the house I grew up in, several uniformed guardsmen did double-takes and some of the older ranking officers had a look on thier faces like they just went back in time! lol It was the slowest 580 miles I've ever traveled and it was an absolute blast! Bring a camera with you and take lotsa pictures! You'll be glad you did!
:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks