• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

planning my m818 recovery

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
No one has mentioned the fuel selector to change fuel tanks.....it is located to the left of the drivers seat. They are notorious for the seals drying out and creating an air suction in the line.
If that happens on the road you can do a field expedient repair by bypassing the valve with a rubber fuel line from the left tank straight to the fuel filter.

Good luck on the recovery.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Wreckerman that had come to mind a couple of times as I have been reading over the manuals for the m806 series. Can you rebuild that valve or is there a napa part number for that valve? If it is bad in fact. I really want to keep the dual fuel tanks functional as possible. I have also been eye balling a longer fuel filter that has a armored sight glass on it.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Was thinking of ether pulling it off and heading home with it this time and rebuilding it, then putting back on (as a rebuilt valve) on the second trip back up there. Also called and up graded to a fs1000 fuel filter holds 2 or 3 less oz. of fuel but much closer to the stock size.

indy4x4fab

Banned
The trucks max rpm right now is only 500 RPM MAX, PETAL TO THE FLOOR. So I cant do any worse and I'm not recovering it this weekend, this is a three part recovery please read first post. Thank you.

Preacherboy

I'm back from AZ now, I have a brand new unopened fuel filter for you. the truck also has the fuel cut off switch brand new from the Lansing Cummins dealer.

I've tried switching that valve back and forth when I did the initial recovery from Lansing, so you might just as well plan on replacing or rebuilding it. cjtroutt thinks it is sucking air.

I also have a slave cable to jump the truck, and I don't really have a way to charge the batteries other than that way.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Cool, I have a few new parts as well printed out the op . manual, and have all the Serves manuals on a thumb drive that I'll have on hand to with a laptop, as well as to trained and exspreantsed Cummins techs on speed dial. We will be driving her around come the end of the day on sunday.

Preacherboy

No worries, I won't touch the thing!

Although, when you get it driving around I'd like to take a spin and have my wife take some pictures...if you wouldn't mind. I've still never gotten to drive a 5-ton.

augiedoggy

indy do you know about the trick of disconnecting the inlet line at the injection pump and putting a large hose from the pump inlet directly into a fuel can (underhood). then if it runs good, you're sucking air somewhere; most often the six hoses at the fuel tank selector valve. this is only for testing of course. the fuel return from the pump will still be returning the fuel to the trucks tank unless you bypass that too.

good luck!
:beer:

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well we went up to Michigan this past weekend and made some progress, SOME. We did get it to run but after consoling with a couple friend that are diesel techs, I will be making anther trip back up in a month or so to replace all the rubber hoses that are associated with the fuel system. I have four dead batteries in the 818, but on the flip side it has four band new 11.00r20 ndt's on it, the last time in was in service was 2006 which is when it had a new clutch and trans put in it, and it does run, sorta. We had to pull start it with josh's deuce (a big thanks to him and his friend), there's no major rust on it any where, the engine runs only at about 500 to 900 r.p.m. because of dry routed fuel lines and it sucking air, which we will be making a second trip up there to replace them in a month or so. We did get the oil filter and oil changed, didn't change out the fuel filter base yet just didn't have enough time got to late of a start and just ran out of time. my best friend Jeremy did go up with me and started painting the truck for me, o.d. green all the way around (got to have the old girl looking good for all the new pictures) will need to make some up dates to it, it hasn't had the air cut off switch/ service bullet don't to it yet for the trans and t-case yet. And the tail lights are two different ones. A cool side know is that the two soldiers that last drove it, there names are still on the windows, (drivers side) SPC. NAVA and (passenger side) SGT. WERNER. I plan to leave there names on the windows, that history bought to life. I'll post some new pictures of the truck in the next day or so as well as the video of it making its first trip under its own power in first gear low range. My wife says next time she will go up with so we will have better pictures to post.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well just an up date, got the 5 year old algee cleaned out of both tanks FINALLY. Ordered one new fuel cap and fuel strainer for the passenger side tank due to the fact it had two very large holes punched in the filtering screen. Also ordered new gaskets for the for both fuel tanks too, they where showing some signs of age and cracking.

Found a place on line to get hose that's oil, gasoline, grease, leaded and unleaded gasoline, gasohol, and diesel fuels, Max working pressure 50 psi for ID sizes 1/4, 5/16, 3/8. Max working pressure 35 psi for 1/2", 5/8, and 3/4 inch, but it's not suitable for bio-diesel fuel.
Silicone Vacuum Hose

Any body else ever used this company or there line?

I will say this much I have never seen a slave cable (jumper cables) dance (jump) while while trying to start an engine but I can now say I have, this trucks really putting that hole safety first in to prospective.

First picture is of preacherboy's deuce, then my 818, then a buddies of preacherboy's custom built bobbed deuce.

youtube link to my video, I sound like a dum ars, but there is a small quadro-jet size filter in the I.P. pump, thanks Ron for your help on that one also suching air from one bad rubber fuel lines that I didn't replace yet, there's always next time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9PLgqlUwxU

Attachments

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will says this much shes a big girl to work on and can be a little intimidating at times.

Ahh, you'll get used to it.
For me it's just hard to find good help and the time to do things with my truck.

As far as your fuel problem goes, I had the exact same issue. Once you replace pretty much everything rubber from tanks to you IP you will be golden. My truck ran great after I replaced everything rubber. I do not have two tanks anymore so the selector valve is history. Darn thing was hard to turn too.

One small overlooked item, replace the o-rings on your primer pump in the cab. Air will get around there also. Got my o-rings at Lowes...I can get you part number later if need be.

BTW...I like your truck. There is just something brutally handsome about M809 series trucks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks