• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plastic air wiper motors - repair how-to

quadfourgtz

Did anyone have issues with the 1-7/16" ID o-rings being too big? Mine were too big. Might that have been 1-7/16" OD?

After getting the motor apart that wasn't working it seamed pretty clean. The orings didn't look swollen. However, after some cleaning and reassembly with the original orings, it still doesn't move as easily as the other motor.

I will go back and debur the holes that was mentioned earlier.

deuceaid

Banned
I never knew they were plastic, several years in so california and never needed them..Thanks for the thread..........But no thanks to Srjeepster and DH, cause now I have the first 30 seconds of this song stuck in my head..................................:gimp: :shock:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08[/media]

Last edited:
Just used this thread to redo my wiper motors. I didn't need to do the bushings but both motors didn't work. I got both working great and used a pack of o rings i got from lowes. There is two different t o rings in it i used the bigger ones. They seemed a tad smaller then the stock o ring but they work great and we're only $2 bucks and change each.

Attachments

scorpion6

Ive found the problem is rarely the motor, but the fact someone pushed the red button. This unbeknownst to the unknowing, moves a divider valve you cannot see. Often when you pry the red button out your wiper still does not work. This is because the valve did not move back just because you pryed the button out. Remove the end cover, and use a bent paper clip inserted into the small orifice and push the valve back. The red button will be difficult to push again. Re assemble, and voila wiper works.I will try to get around to pics or a seperate post covering this.

Rmtaunton

This is what's going on with mine it will go to the right but stops , the valve won't move over , tried the paper clip but didn't work so I will take cap off and drill small hole opposite of red button and try that then seal up hole

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post 28 and 29 combine for some funny stuff. Thanks for the heads up, Rm.

I'll try my hardest with what scorpion said to do cause the red button problem is what is wrong with mine.

scorpion6

Remove the two inner screws to reveal yet another set of vacuum holes. You will have only the outer most portion of the wiper end plate. Vacuum hose end with the oposite side showing about 4 to 5 vacuum passages. The valve is in the end cap this is where the paperclip comes in. 1st spray a little gun oil in the passages then attempt to slide the clip in toward the red button. You may have to start the process at the very far oposite hole and then move to the second hole to finish. Once done and reassembled you will have to hook it up turn it on, then you may have to depress the red button just a bit and the wiper will work. Drilling a hole might work, but I would try every option before going extreme.

scorpion6

By thle bye the only thing that needed to be removed and disassembled was the end cap in the first picture, I disassembled mine on the truck, and only the end cap needed work. Look at the end cap, you will notice it has 2 sets of cork seals . Your pic only shows you have disassembled to the 1st seal, take it down 1 more seal by removing the 2 screws and seperating the second cork seal to reveal the end plate only. You will then be able to use the clip to slide the inner valve toward the red button. Hope I helped.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can wait, it doesn't rain that much out here. Although, the last time it did, I was in the deuce and had to use the manual lever all the way home.

scorpion6

So the pics are definetly out of order, but remove the cap, as you can see there are two cork gaskets. This means you then remove the 2 screws and remove the small round cap diverter, then remove and seperate the second cap to reveal the holes. Insert the clip into the holes as pointed to by the phillips. Bend the paperclip the an angle as the diverter holes go down as well as to the side. Insert the clip toward the red button. If it pushes the button all the way out done, if not use the second hole to finish. Put it together in reverse then try. If it does not work keep the wiper on and press the red button slowly untill it works. Should solve the problem. Now if you push too hard you will be back to square one, and its time to do it again. They really should have put a return spring behind the inner valve.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the cork seals go, you can clean them with a scotch brite pad (be gentle and do not tear them) and breathe some life into them with tru-oil (the stuff used on gun stocks). I heard that soaking them in olive oil over night works as well (have not tried that yet).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks