• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plastic Surgery

EF-5

So, the passenger side of my M1008's bed has had a pretty decent dent since I've owned it. Is there a good way to pull it out with out removing the bed. Not too sure I can squeeze a hammer in between the two shells. Have you guys used any techniques that work!?

Thanks in advance!

ryan77

I bought a suction cup handle tool at harbor freight and that what i use get the metal thing worked awesome!!!

ralbelt

As Jersey4X4 stated, but I don't have a pin welder so I mig welded on a few 1/4 x 20 nuts then I could screw my slide hammer to them and pull the dent out. Grind off the nuts, Some body filler and a cheap HF board sander finished it up.

Oldsouthernboy

try a metal rod with a L bend on the end a half inch l and round the end off. gently work the edges of the deform in back an forth motion. this will flow the metal back as long as it not to large. Use a straight edge to keep from gong from a neg deform to a pos deform. Also a light a 45 deg will show up the work very well as work the edges. If the right pressure is on the rod you will see the metal being moved by the end.

EF-5

Man there are so many things to try. It's kind of like a science experiment lol. I'm excited to try all of the ones that I have the materials for. I'll definitely take pictures tomorrow. It's supposed to be a less than comfortable day tomorrow in Georgia, but it'll give me something to do none the less. Thanks!

truck1

As the other member said,get your self a porto-power with the wedge spreader attachment and use wood blocks if needed to bridge the gap between bed quarter panel and inner panel.Work slowly from center outwards ,working high spots gently with flat body hammer and dolly.Unfortunately you need the right tools for this job.The gauge of metal on this vintage GM truck is still substantial,and if you work slowly and gently metal stretch can be minimized.I had the same dent on my rig from the forklift at GL and it roughed out very well using this method.Carefully applied pressure is your friend.Good luck!2cents

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the dull paint you might have to wet the panel and plunger(some times I do that anyway) so as to get a good hold of the metal.

A liberal slathering of Vaseline on a toilet plunger, will work well(on carc).

EF-5

I tried the plunger approach, but I think there are to many creases in the dent. I can't get a solid level grab. I'm going to try the wedge and jack technique. I'll post pictures once I fix the issue. Thanks again!

DonK

Those folks from the land of THEY also sell a Hot Glue type of thingy thats "suppose" to work the same way the Pin Welder does....THEY sell em on those fancy Tools Trucks ....